Author Topic: Beyond Burger 2.0  (Read 1000 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Beyond Burger 2.0
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2019, 10:06:49 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but what are "brats"? It's not a term I've encountered before in the context of food. Only in the context of my neighbour's children.

Bratwurst

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bratwurst

So... sausages. Okay. Thanks.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2019, 10:12:20 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but what are "brats"? It's not a term I've encountered before in the context of food. Only in the context of my neighbour's children.

that's what he meant.   Why do you think we need vegan brats?

Like they say: if you can't eat vegan, eat a vegan.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2019, 10:50:25 PM »
Think bangers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2019, 11:01:29 PM »
Gonna have to try the brats with sauerkraut and coarse ground mustard.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2019, 11:06:23 PM »
We only use vegan brat children in our vegan bratwurst

Its traditionally a German sausage usually made with pork and garlic, sometimes beer.

It looks like a banger but I think bangers taste closer to our breakfast sausage.

I sell the vegan product because its the only meat substitute I have ever tasted that I would be willing to eat on a regular basis. Its not a huge seller and a pain in the ass to purchase but I like to have options for those customers who dont like meat.

If they only eat chicken they can eat the vegan or go somewhere else.  >:D

I should add that we smoke ours with applewood which adds another layer of flavor.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 11:10:11 PM by Captain Video »
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2019, 11:31:04 PM »
Be careful when flame grilling, they are very greasy and start leaking coconut oil the second they heat up. Flame ups occur and they will stick to the grill.

Because of this oil I only give them 10-15 minutes in the coolest smoke I can manage at around 200 degrees F (I do my dogs for 45 minutes) then they go directly into a vacuum sealed bag and chilled in an ice bath for storage. I sous vide them at 160 degrees before serving then quickly char grill them over wood charcoal for a nice caramelized, flame broiled texture. You could completely skip the sous vide step and go right to a hot grill, Its just easier for me to keep them ready to eat that way. Just make sure they cook all the way through.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2019, 12:00:03 AM »
As toppings go I personally eat them like FORTRAN with mustard and sauerkraut. I like that way the best however for my menu I wanted something different and southern so I serve it with a green tomato chow chow. 

Southern chow chow is a sweat, yellow, vinegary relish mostly made with cabbage, green tomato, and a small amount of green bell peppers. I eliminate the cabbage and don't add as much turmeric so it keeps its green color.

I think its a great complement to the brat which balances out the oily flavor.

But then again so does sauerkraut, i'm sorry I forced you into that dilemma, you can always order two  >:D

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2019, 12:29:48 AM »
Oh, I though some of you would get a kick out of this. I use a rubber-made film cart for a condiment station which happens to have this bumper sticker on the customer facing side. Seeing it up close in the picture makes me want to find a new one.

Please note that the cart is sitting in my living room and not set up properly with all the condiments. I should post a pic when I am open for business along with the Beyond Bratwurst.

Sorry if I am monopolizing the thread, I'm pretty proud of my work and I think its on theme.

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2019, 12:30:31 AM »
Ha, nice!

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2019, 02:10:00 PM »
Cheeky opinion piece talking up low-emissions, meatless meat's future. Mix of zingers and data points.

I'm optimistic, myself.  The Impossible Whopper's better than a regular whopper.  Beyond Meat's good, too, but don't get it at Carl's Jr.  The one I had at Carl's Jr was red, wet and slick (which is why I skipped the IPOOOoooo :cry:).  If prices come down, I could easily go vegetarian.  And while I might not get healthier, the planet would.

Article: This Is the Beginning of the End of the Beef Industry
Date: 2019 JUL 31

I tracked down a White Castle shortly after the Impossible Slider arrived in the spring of 2018. I’d never been to a White Castle, so I ordered an Impossible Slider and a regular slider. The Impossible was...fine. About what you’d expect. White Castle steams all its meat, which is hard to get past, but with plenty of cheese, it went down easy.

The regular slider, on the other hand, was horrific. I peeled back the pasty bun and stared at the fetid shingle inside. It was appallingly thin and grimy. It made the Impossible Slider look lush and juicy. The bar for fast-food burgers is even lower than I thought. Nobody will miss these shitty little brown things when they’re gone.

And then there’s Burger King. The second-largest fast-food chain in the world rattled big beef’s cage by testing an Impossible Whopper in St. Louis in April. Resulting foot traffic was so strong that Burger King decided to serve the Impossible Whopper in all 7,200 restaurants, marking the moment when alt meat stopped being alt.

This year is shaping up to be the inflection point when this becomes obvious to everybody else. Beyond Meat’s products are in 15,000 grocery stores in the U.S., and its sales have more than doubled each year. On May 2, it held its IPO, offering stock at $25, which turned out to be a wild underestimation of what investors thought the company was worth. It immediately leaped to $46 and closed the day at $65.75. That one-day pop of 163 percent was one of the best in decades, putting to shame such 2019 IPOs as Lyft (21 percent) and Pinterest (25 percent), to say nothing of Uber (negative 3 percent). In the following days, it kept ripping, climbing above $150, where it has stayed. The market currently estimates Beyond Meat’s worth at close to $10 billion.

Not to be outdone, that same month, Impossible Foods raised an additional $300 million dollars from private investors (for a running total of $740 million and a valuation of $2 billion) and announced it would be joining Beyond Meat in America’s grocery stores later this year. These companies are no longer little mammals scurrying around the feet of the big-beef dinosaurs. And they are gearing up for an epic head-to-head battle.

But the core of each formula is very different. Beyond uses pea protein, while Impossible uses soy. Beyond gets its bloody color from beet juice; Impossible uses heme—the same molecule that makes our blood red—to achieve its meaty color and flavor. This is its killer app. Beef gets its beefiness from heme. When you cook heme, it produces the distinctive savory, metallic flavor of meat. Since heme is normally found in blood, no veggie concoction has ever used it. Soy plants do make microscopic amounts of it, but not enough to ever use. Impossible Foods’ breakthrough was to genetically engineer yeast to produce soy heme in a tank, like beer. This GMO process is a deal breaker for some people, but it makes all the difference. The Impossible Burger is incredible, the Beyond Burger merely passable.

But the playing field is leveling fast. Last week, Dunkin’ announced a new Beyond Sausage breakfast sandwich that will be just 14 cents more than the meat version. But more than anything Beyond Meat or Impossible Foods has accomplished, the true death knell for the cattlemen is how the mainstream food industry has embraced alt meat. Whole Foods just announced it will start selling burgers from the UK-based startup the Meatless Farm in all of its stores. Nestlé is launching its Awesome Burger this fall. Tyson Foods, America’s largest meat producer, just debuted its own plant-based nuggets, with more products to come. Tyson CEO Noel White said he expects Tyson “to be a market leader in alternative protein, which is experiencing double-digit growth and could someday be a billion-dollar business for our company.”

If that quote isn’t enough to send chills down the spine of any meat producer, try this one from Perdue Farms chairman Jim Perdue: “Our vision is to be the most trusted name in premium protein. It doesn’t say premium meat protein, just premium protein. That’s where consumers are going.”

And that’s where these companies will go. Beef is a headache. It comes with a lot of baggage to worry about: antibiotic resistance, E. coli outbreaks, animal welfare, climate change. It’s the kind of icky biological variable that corporate America would love to leave behind—and as soon as beef becomes less profitable, it will.

Recent projections suggest that 60 percent of the meat eaten in 2040 will be alt, a figure I think may actually be too conservative. An estimated 95 percent of the people buying alt burgers are meat-eaters. This is not about making vegetarians happy. It’s not even about climate change. This is a battle for America’s flame-broiled soul. Meat is about to break free from its animal past. As traditional meat companies embrace alt meat with the fervor of the just converted, making it cheap and ubiquitious, it’s unclear if Beyond Meat or Impossible Foods can survive the feeding frenzy (though Impossible’s patents on its core IP may help), but at least they’ll be able to comfort themselves with a modern take on Gandhi’s wisdom:

First they ignore you.
Then they laugh at you.
Then they sue you.
Then they try to buy you.
Then they copy you.
Then they steal your shelf space.
Then they put you out of business.
Then you’ve won.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2019, 02:37:56 PM »
friends tell me that making your own burger from the ground beyond meat crumbles is better than the prefab burger.  Cheaper too.  This is good news if true. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2019, 08:08:00 PM »
I'm still waiting for the Impossible Whopper to be released in Australia. It will absolutely replace my standard order.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2019, 10:31:23 PM »
Impossible Steaks in 5-10 years?

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2019, 02:11:14 AM »
Had Beyond Burgers last night for dinner. Not bad, but I don't think I'd be fooled in a blind taste test. One product that would fool me is Veggie Grill's "chicken" sandwich. Sucker tastes just like the real thing!
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2019, 02:16:51 AM »
I guess the imitation chicken tastes like chicken.

personate-rain
personate-rain