Author Topic: Beyond Burger 2.0  (Read 6102 times)

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
Re: Beyond Burger 2.0
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2019, 02:21:32 AM »
Exactly!
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2019, 07:30:39 AM »
"If prices come down, I could easily go vegetarian."

I am not trying to be a dick asking this. Why wouldn't you go vegetarian in advance of such a low cost burger? Are you a heavy burger eater now?  Just curious.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2019, 07:51:55 AM »
The wife and I ordered a Double Impossible Whopper over this past weekend and split it.

I found it a touch dry.  It didn't taste like a whopper patty, but it was good.  It didn't taste like a vegetable burger (I've tried several varieties), but it wasn't exactly beef either.  It was close enough.  If we had ordered singles instead of splitting a double, I probably would have liked it better.  Lettuce/tomato/mayo to meat ratio would have worked out the lowered amount of grease.

That all being said, it's more expensive and honestly not really much healthier than a normal whopper.  Unless you are watching your cholesterol.  That was the one number that really dropped going to the Impossible.  I want to support it to help drive down the price; for the planet if nothing else, but I honestly can't afford the calories.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2019, 09:41:12 AM »
Been looking at vegetarian meat substitutes, but some of them are ridiculously expensive. As an example, a 10-pack of turkey and chicken meat hotdog sausages is 33 NOK, and then there's 4-pack of vegetarian ones for 40 NOK. No 10-packs.

The cheapest non-meat was another type of burger, which they've now sold out of since I bought two packs in the previous two weeks, so I guess they haven't been selling a lot of them. 55 NOK for 4 burgers, vs. the "Beyond Burger" 2 burgers for 80 NOK. More than three times as expensive by weight, vs. both the other veggie burgers and beef burgers.

I hope the market picks up and the prices drop along with an increasing range of products.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2019, 09:57:38 AM »
We eat a lot of fake meat products and the gardien brand stuff is really good.  I would definitely be fooled by some in a totally blind test, though probably not a side by side taste.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2019, 12:47:24 PM »
It looks like these things are being targeted by the anti GMO crowd now, especially the impossible burger. This bullshit popped up in my facebook feed from another film worker today.

https://livingmaxwell.com/gmo-impossible-burger-glyphosate?fbclid=IwAR3hDm4R-sUDgRVfe3oC7GCU2WSMuCR7tpkvAk1YytkDHXSW7zm0vGCZcnw

According to Moms Across America, who had the product tested at Health Research Institute Laboratories, the levels of glyphosate were 11x that of the Beyond Meat burger and the total result (glyphosate and its metabolite AMPA) came in at 11.3 parts per billion (ppb).

Why should consumers care about glyphosate?

Because glyphosate is known to the State of California to cause cancer and the World Health Organization says it is “probably carcinogenic to humans.” — which means that it “probably causes cancer to humans.” Glyphosate also happens to be the primary ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide, and approximately 250 million pounds of this weed killer are sprayed each year in the U.S.

Fuck California! I predict these will be banned on set soon and will no longer be considered as legitimate vegetarian options at meal time or snacks.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2019, 03:59:48 PM »
Why wouldn't you go vegetarian in advance of such a low cost burger? Are you a heavy burger eater now? Just curious.

Pretty much.  Ideologically, I should be a vegetarian. Behaviorally, I'm too in love with salty/savory. 

I'm not quite staring into half eaten burgers muttering, "I wish I knew how to quit you," but cheap (high quality) meatless burgers and sausages would outright eliminate most meat from my diet. From there, ovo-vegetarian's a short jump.

edit:

That all being said, it's more expensive and honestly not really much healthier than a normal whopper.  Unless you are watching your cholesterol.  That was the one number that really dropped going to the Impossible.  I want to support it to help drive down the price; for the planet if nothing else, but I honestly can't afford the calories.

Reminders me of a one-liner I saw.  Something like, "I went vegetarian and only the planet got healthier."
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:16:01 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2019, 03:34:01 PM »
I  got curious about this after the recent South Park episode so I just tried the Beyond Burger from tesco.

It may be because I had just run 10k and then driven for an hour but I LOVED it!!
I will be making them a once a week treat! €7 for two burgers is a lil bit pricey for me.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2019, 04:33:53 PM »
Been looking at vegetarian meat substitutes, but some of them are ridiculously expensive. As an example, a 10-pack of turkey and chicken meat hotdog sausages is 33 NOK, and then there's 4-pack of vegetarian ones for 40 NOK. No 10-packs.

The cheapest non-meat was another type of burger, which they've now sold out of since I bought two packs in the previous two weeks, so I guess they haven't been selling a lot of them. 55 NOK for 4 burgers, vs. the "Beyond Burger" 2 burgers for 80 NOK. More than three times as expensive by weight, vs. both the other veggie burgers and beef burgers.

I hope the market picks up and the prices drop along with an increasing range of products.

I've said this before, but I really believe the road to vegetarianism is not through fake meat. It's through normal vegetable foods. Instead of fake-meat burgers, try meatless chili beans with 100% whole-grain bread. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! I get it that some folks like the taste of meat. When I was 19 I didn't think I could live without meat. Five years later it was hard to believe I'd ever liked the stuff.

My point isn't that you shouldn't eat meat.

My point is that if you feel, for whatever reasons, that you shouldn't eat meat, you'll be much more satisfied in the long run if you wean yourself off of it and develop the taste for plant-based proteins. I get just as much pleasure out of eating properly-prepared and properly seasoned beans and tofu as I ever got from eating meat. Taste is purely a matter of habit. You can change your taste and then you won't have to go through life always knowing that you're not getting the real thing.

Instead of waiting for corporations to produce a fake meat that tastes like real meat at an affordable price, learn to enjoy plant-based proteins that are already affordable, and much less expensive than meat or fake meat will ever be.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2019, 04:34:06 PM »
It looks like these things are being targeted by the anti GMO crowd now, especially the impossible burger. This bullshit popped up in my facebook feed from another film worker today.

https://livingmaxwell.com/gmo-impossible-burger-glyphosate?fbclid=IwAR3hDm4R-sUDgRVfe3oC7GCU2WSMuCR7tpkvAk1YytkDHXSW7zm0vGCZcnw

According to Moms Across America, who had the product tested at Health Research Institute Laboratories, the levels of glyphosate were 11x that of the Beyond Meat burger and the total result (glyphosate and its metabolite AMPA) came in at 11.3 parts per billion (ppb).

Because glyphosate is known to the State of California to cause cancer and the World Health Organization says it is “probably carcinogenic to humans.” — which means that it “probably causes cancer to humans.” Glyphosate also happens to be the primary ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide, and approximately 250 million pounds of this weed killer are sprayed each year in the U.S.

Fuck California! I predict these will be banned on set soon and will no longer be considered as legitimate vegetarian options at meal time or snacks.
So the fad will fade fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2019, 09:36:23 PM »

Its possible you are right. It sure is expanding fast. When was the last time a new food item appeared on so many restaurant menus and grocery stores this quickly?  I'm amazed at how fast it has spread and others are creating competing products that may or may not be better.  A whole industry seems to be forming.

The GMO thing seems to have slipped under the covers, I haven't seen much else about it but I haven't been looking either.

Of course we have only been eating them for a few years, who knows what these things mite be doing to us.  We mite need another 50 years or so to know for sure.
Some say it helps them to stop eating meat but others have doubts this is an effective method, it could lead to more meat eating becoming a "gateway meat"
Teens across america are starting to eat them in large numbers.
They also come in attractive flavors and packaging which invite people to eat more of them. I cant get enough of that bratwurst flavor!

>:D  >:D  >:D

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2019, 03:30:38 PM »
I just scouted out the cheaper supermarket by my house, they have a similar product for half the price and a pack of sausages!
I will be trying them on payday.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2019, 01:18:45 PM »

Veganism; 50/3,000,000 years.  Surely a fad.  Reminds me of hoola hoops.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2019, 01:35:30 PM »
Who said anything about veganism? We are just discussing a specific type of food product.
I think most of us still eat meat too?
Maybe chocolate and smartphones are both fads too?

How insecure does someone have to be to pop into such a benign discussion to tout the doom of....veggie burgers?
Or maybe its just that when narcissism and arrogance go far enough, they just push right through to something that resembles insecure behaviour?

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2019, 01:46:46 PM »
Who said anything about veganism? We are just discussing a specific type of food product.
I think most of us still eat meat too?
Maybe chocolate and smartphones are both fads too?

How insecure does someone have to be to pop into such a benign discussion to tout the doom of....veggie burgers?
Or maybe its just that when narcissism and arrogance go far enough, they just push right through to something that resembles insecure behaviour?

So when you guys dismiss LCHF Keto and Paleo diets as fads, that's perfectly fine, but when I suggest that the sudden popularity of a new product is a fad and then it's narcissism, arrogance and insecurity.

Got it
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:55:10 PM by CarbShark »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

personate-rain