Author Topic: Beyond Burger 2.0  (Read 8761 times)

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: Beyond Burger 2.0
« Reply #420 on: December 06, 2019, 04:17:52 PM »
My wife and I are pretty good about only buying local beef.  Both of us have ethical problems with feedlot cattle growth.  Local beef outfits are all made up of cows roaming around fields.  They surround my house.

If my wife and I both went vegetarian, I don't think the change to the planet warming would matter a whole lot.

To be even more contrarian, my cardiologist wants me to do a Whole30 for a month and transition into Mediterranean diet.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #421 on: December 06, 2019, 04:40:04 PM »
If my wife and I both went vegetarian, I don't think the change to the planet warming would matter a whole lot.

Translation: One person's lifestyle choices do not have a measurable effect on the world. Therefore, none of us should make any changes.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #422 on: December 06, 2019, 04:40:23 PM »
The Australian coal-ition government’s Minister for Energy and (doing not much about) Climate Change is apparently going to announce Australia is currently on track to meet its very modest target of reducing CO2 emissions from 2005 by 26% in 2030:

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/taylor-claims-australia-progressing-well-towards-paris-targets-20191206-p53hjv.html

As was pointed out at the end of the article, the current drought has reduced animal numbers, so emissions have dropped solely due to that.  So instead of praying for rain (which is the Prime Minister’s main policy for dealing with the drought), we should be praying for the drought to continue so we can meet our Paris commitments?
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #423 on: December 06, 2019, 04:43:25 PM »

Translation: One person's lifestyle choices do not have a measurable effect on the world. Therefore, none of us should make any changes.
I mean, we could go so far as to just kill a bunch of ranchers and then ourselves and save a whole ton of carbon...but it's a pretty drastic step for such a measly return.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #424 on: December 06, 2019, 04:48:03 PM »
I'm actually surprised that lentils (my least favorite of all the legumes) have less than half the emissions of dried beans (the other legume). Beans and tofu are at the top of my list for main-course protein foods. I also eat fish, though I've cut way back. Tofu and beans are very dependent on the cook for their flavor, but done right they are amazing.
Interesting! I do like lentils though.

Oh man I loved that show!
Total tangent, but Vyvyan is now an Imperial Officer!
(click to show/hide)
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #425 on: December 06, 2019, 04:54:15 PM »

I mean, we could go so far as to just kill a bunch of ranchers and then ourselves and save a whole ton of carbon...but it's a pretty drastic step for such a measly return.

Well, it’s the only non-policy of the Australian government that has successfully reduced greenhouse gas emissions, but by a drought instead of shooting ranchers, but your proposal, although drastic, would work.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #426 on: December 06, 2019, 05:12:11 PM »
I'm actually surprised that lentils (my least favorite of all the legumes) have less than half the emissions of dried beans (the other legume). Beans and tofu are at the top of my list for main-course protein foods. I also eat fish, though I've cut way back. Tofu and beans are very dependent on the cook for their flavor, but done right they are amazing.

(click to show/hide)
Thats always what I think of when someone mentions lentils!!
And yes. We all saw it coming right?

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #427 on: December 06, 2019, 06:26:38 PM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Ever since the Dark Side infiltrated facebook with memes, it was only a matter of time before the old crustpunks got seduced.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #428 on: December 06, 2019, 06:46:38 PM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Ever since the Dark Side infiltrated facebook with memes, it was only a matter of time before the old crustpunks got seduced.

Adrian Edmonson from ‘the Young Ones.’  And something or another in the increasingly ridiculous Star Wars Universe (I haven’t seen the last two, and don’t intend to see the next):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ade_Edmondson

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #429 on: December 06, 2019, 07:58:34 PM »

Let's not shoot anybody. But if people ate less meat the ranchers would have a smaller market for their cows so they would stop breeding so many of them and there would be less CO2 and less cow shit running into our rivers. And there would be a lot more fresh water for other uses. One person's eating habits has a too small an impact to be measured, but if everybody says "My choices make no difference so I won't change" then the whole shebang goes down the toilet.

And for CarbShark's benefit, since everybody else seems to understand it already, this applies to all our choices, not just our eating habits. Meat is an environmental disaster, but it's not the only or even the biggest environmental disaster.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #430 on: December 06, 2019, 09:08:45 PM »
The thing is, I didn't say it would make no difference.  I said it would matter a whole lot.  A measly enough return for me not to bother.  I also didn't say nobody should make any changes. I've already made some changes, I'm just not willing to make that specific change at this time.  Others can make whatever changes suit them.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #431 on: December 06, 2019, 09:24:43 PM »
The thing is, I didn't say it would make no difference.  I said it would matter a whole lot.  A measly enough return for me not to bother.  I also didn't say nobody should make any changes. I've already made some changes, I'm just not willing to make that specific change at this time.  Others can make whatever changes suit them.

Of course you can do whatever you want to do.  You’re sufficiently anonymous that being ‘shamed’ here for continuing to eat meat has no consequences for you.  Although, if your profile is right and you live in Keavy, Kentucky you don’t have the cop out of claiming that the cattle in your area aren’t being grazed on land unsuitable for any other use.  Looking at Google Earth, Keavy looks to be in a very beautiful area with a lot of green (?pastures), forests, lakes and rivers.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #432 on: December 06, 2019, 10:19:50 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Well, Boom Shanka
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #433 on: December 07, 2019, 02:52:23 AM »

Translation: let’s encourage everyone to go vegan and tell them it’s for global warming when it’s really about promoting my own personal sense of ethics and speaking the vegetarian lifestyle 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #434 on: December 07, 2019, 07:25:43 AM »

Translation: let’s encourage everyone to go vegan and tell them it’s for global warming when it’s really about promoting my own personal sense of ethics and speaking the vegetarian lifestyle 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Translation: ethical treatment of farm animals before they’re slaughtered doesn’t matter, provided it supplies meat at the cheapest price, and the added environmental damage involved in practices such as feedlots also doesn’t matter.  We might as well allow dog fighting if people find it entertaining.  Banning it was just imposing other people’s personal ethics on others.