Author Topic: Episode #730  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #730
« on: July 06, 2019, 10:47:11 AM »
Forgotten Superheroes of Science News Items: The Bystander Effect, Drones on Titan, Simulating the Universe Your Questions and E-mails: Lactic Acid, Climate Change Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Episode #730
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 03:17:55 PM »
Euler and Venn diagrams are not really the same. For example, given the sets A={1}, B={2}, and C={3}
the Euler diagram would consist of 3 totally disjoint (non-overlapping) circles labelled A,B, and C. The Venn diagram would be the familiar 3 mutually overlapping circles with 5 of the 8 determined regions being empty.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 02:42:41 AM »
If Steve reads this, my condolences on the less of Quincy. Losing pets is extremely sad. I'm thinking of you and your family!

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 03:55:17 AM »
Whoa, mispronouncing Euler. That is just awful. And Bob not even knowing who he is? Ouch.  :(

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 05:40:37 AM »
Sorry to hear about your dog.  We have a few in the garden that we miss.

Staying alive in avalanche terrain, FACETS works.  A quick acronym to remind oneself of the heuristics more important than a PHD in snow science.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 07:41:46 AM »
I think Heaviside is pronounced heavy-side, based on Stephen Fry talking about the Heaviside layer, named after the same Oliver Heaviside.

Offline esterin

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 05:44:53 PM »
Whoa, mispronouncing Euler. That is just awful. And Bob not even knowing who he is? Ouch.  :(
I did intruductary calculus with medical students, it was part funny part sad

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 07:34:36 PM »
I think Heaviside is pronounced heavy-side, based on Stephen Fry talking about the Heaviside layer, named after the same Oliver Heaviside.

I think you are right. I've had a few students who thought that the "Heaviside function" was the "Heavy Side function", and was a description of the appearance of the function's graph, not a name of a person.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 04:08:46 AM »
2000 calories from glycogen is about what an elite marathon runner will use in a two hour race.  He/she will also will happily lose several kilos of water and finish the race up to 5kgs lighter than at the start; and will not be dehydrated, btw.  Last mile is the fastest mile.

Strava reckoned I "burnt" half of that on a casual road bike ride today.  I did refuel at 32 kms (after an 18 hour fast) with a flat white and a lamb burrito (yum), though. 

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 09:01:35 PM »
2000 calories from glycogen is about what an elite marathon runner will use in a two hour race.  He/she will also will happily lose several kilos of water and finish the race up to 5kgs lighter than at the start; and will not be dehydrated, btw.  Last mile is the fastest mile.

Strava reckoned I "burnt" half of that on a casual road bike ride today.  I did refuel at 32 kms (after an 18 hour fast) with a flat white and a lamb burrito (yum), though.

How much glycogen would an elite marathon runner on a low carbohydrate/high fat ketogenic diet have? 

When I ran marathons (not at elite level, or anywhere close, my best time was 2 hours 47’), I used to carbohydrate load in the 3 days before, but I worked on the assumption that my glycogen stores wouldn’t last anywhere near to the end of the marathon, and that I’d eventually have to use fat stores (and in training, I attempted at times to carbohydrate deplete to get used to running on fat).

I don’t think you burnt half your glycogen stores on a casual bike ride, unless you were putting in many sprints in the ride.  Skeletal muscle fibers fall into two basic groups, fast twitch for sprints (which are higher in glycogen and lower in fat stores) and slow twitch (for sustained effort, lower in glycogen and higher in fat stores).  The enzymes for metabolism also vary in amount.  You would have been using mainly slow twitch muscle fibers and their fat stores.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 10:57:55 AM »
Ideas, a program on CBC Radio 1, has a fascinating discussion of fascism in the US, called Flirting with Fascism: America's New Path? (The link takes you to a short article on the topic and an audio player so you can listen.)

An idea I had not considered before:

Fascism looks different in different cultures, depending on that culture. In fact, it is the essence of fascism to have no single, fixed form.
- Henry Giroux

Considering that, it is no surprise that it presents like reality TV in the US but wears a different skin elsewhere. There are still common underlying behaviours and practices that are common to all the variants, no matter the mask fascism wears.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 01:15:42 PM »
Should be "Skeptic's Guide to the Multiverse".
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 01:18:36 PM »
Slightly off-topic: Does anyone think that adopting a military uniform is not an idea that has crossed Donald Trump’s mind?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 04:35:34 PM »
Administrator Comment Grab yer butts, I'm gonna lock this thread so I can split it.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 04:41:10 PM »
Administrator Comment Let loose of your butts now, and continue discussing the episode here, and Cara-carping elsewhere.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site