Author Topic: Should the world phase out (or at least massively reduce) meat-eating?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
I can think of three major reasons why people go vegetarian or vegan.

1. Ethical reasons.

2. Health reasons.

3. Environmental reasons.

It seems that to me, all those reasons are legitimate, and accurate. Ethical is perhaps a bit subjective, but if you value life and non-suffering, eating less meat or no meat at all is obviously a way in that direction. That too much meat is unhealthy is well-established, red meat and processed meat are associated with increased cancer risk. And the impact of livestock and the industry surrounding it on our current climate crisis is well-trodden territory already.

See also these articles:

- 8 Reasons Meat Is Bad For You (Yes, Even Chicken)

- 7 reasons why you should stop eating meat immediately

- Meatless meals: The benefits of eating less meat

It turns out that not eating meat, in addition to the above reasons, and other reasons in these articles, greatly reduces your risk for food poisoning, and saves you money. Admittedly nice bonuses.

So it seems to me that we, the world, as a species, as a global civilization and as a global society, should phase out, or at least massively reduce, meat-eating for all of these reasons. My impression is that the weight of evidence points strongly in this direction. But I am open to contrary arguments. What are they? Are they stronger or weaker than the case for phasing out meat?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
inb4 the LCHF guys coming here and evangelizing about meat...
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
I vote yes.

Since my expectations regarding climate change are pretty dire, I think we ought to price-in all environment externalities -- starting now.  A natural consequence here would be a reduction in meat consumption. 
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
I would be more comfortable with vat grown meat.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
As long as it happens after we eat the rich, sure, why not!

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Yes for the previously stated reasons.  I look forward to vat grown or vegetable based meats that appear to be getting better and cheaper all the time. 

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
I can think of three major reasons why people go vegetarian or vegan.

1. Ethical reasons.

2. Health reasons.

3. Environmental reasons.

Notably absent:  being shamed into it by meatless proselytizers. 

One of the reasons I went vegetarian 40 years ago (!) (on top of those three reasons) is to separate myself and stand out.  The more people tried to talk me out of it, the more I doubled down.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
I could become flexitarian. Which I, basically, am already.
I only eat meat, at most, 5 meals a week. Then only fish, chicken or pork.

Getting humans to give up meat entirely is never going to happen. A reduction is the best we can hope for.

I know people who have meat at every meal and never eat vegetables willingly. They are never going to reduce their meat consumption.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Probably.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Ah.hell

Getting humans to give up meat entirely is never going to happen. A reduction is the best we can hope for.

I know people who have meat at every meal and never eat vegetables willingly. They are never going to reduce their meat consumption.

I think if you can come up with an alternative that is cheaper and or as good as meat, you can.  At the very least, a very meat like hamburger that is cheaper than an actual hamburger will make a huge dent in consumption. 

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
Yeah, to paraphrase a meme I've seen around, we don't need a small number of people doing [environmentally helpful thing] perfectly, we need a large number of people doing it imperfectly.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator

They will once it becomes too expensive to eat so frequently.

My mothers family only got to eat whatever meat they could catch or fish (so she grew up thinking lobster was poor people food). I could see a scenario where by the majority of the population who cant raise their own livestock and dont have a large income would be eating meat only a couple of times per week.
Dairy is also massively overproduced right now which could have an impact environmentally also.

I dont think we will ever do away with meat eating from the world but it would be good to get it down from an industrial farming level to a local level. There are parts of the world where livestock are peoples only way to stay alive.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Yes. I think it'll take a long time - generations - but I think it's inevitable.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
I feel like it will happen, or at least as far as meat from living animals is concerned, and I'd like it to happen, but I'm fairly sure it will take decades if not more.  I have heard of some economic reasons why it's not very practical at the moment, as well as some other practical considerations like the density of meat in terms of land needed to food produced is a lot higher than plants, but I've not really dug into it too much to know if that has any real merit.  Also, I do wonder what will happen to many of the species we've bred specifically to eat if we no longer use them for food.  Many, if not all, may not have the ability to survive in the wild or could harm any environments they breed into.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
"Should the world phase out, or at least massively reduce, meat-eating?"

Yes, definitely, for all the reasons stated.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain