Author Topic: Personal Health MD - mainstream meets functional?  (Read 753 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Personal Health MD - mainstream meets functional?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 06:56:59 PM »
Most likely from the food choices.

When I first looked on pub med years ago LCHF was the only dietary option that had been found effective.

In the last few years other diets, especially  FODMAP, have also shown good results.

Even though symptoms for IBS can differ, it’s the same issue and most respond to the same treatments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBS is a set of conditions without a recognisable disease, such as coeliac disease.  Or inflammatory bowel disease.  It’s a diagnosis of exclusion.  It’s pretty obvious that what you take in through your mouth is going to affect what comes out the other end.  If you get symptoms consuming one particularly food, or type of food, then it makes sense to avoid it.  I know from experience that one of my no-noes is oatmeal, despite my loving bircher muesli.  I have to restrict to only an occasional treat, otherwise...  could I have IBS?  I don’t know.

The primary and most common symptom of IBS is acute and sometimes severe pain in the lower abdomen. Usually it's not a single food (although some are suggesting that sucrose or just fructose may be a cause) but a broad range of foods avoided on diets like LCHF or FODMAP.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 07:09:19 PM »
Most likely from the food choices.

When I first looked on pub med years ago LCHF was the only dietary option that had been found effective.

In the last few years other diets, especially  FODMAP, have also shown good results.

Even though symptoms for IBS can differ, it’s the same issue and most respond to the same treatments.

IBS is a set of conditions without a recognisable disease, such as coeliac disease.  Or inflammatory bowel disease.  It’s a diagnosis of exclusion.  It’s pretty obvious that what you take in through your mouth is going to affect what comes out the other end.  If you get symptoms consuming one particularly food, or type of food, then it makes sense to avoid it.  I know from experience that one of my no-noes is oatmeal, despite my loving bircher muesli.  I have to restrict to only an occasional treat, otherwise...  could I have IBS?  I don’t know.

The primary and most common symptom of IBS is acute and sometimes severe pain in the lower abdomen. Usually it's not a single food (although some are suggesting that sucrose or just fructose may be a cause) but a broad range of foods avoided on diets like LCHF or FODMAP.

No.  IBS isn’t a single condition, nor does it have a single set of symptoms.  As I’d noted, some people have diarrhoea.  Some have constipation.  Some have alternating diarrhoea and constipation.  Some have abdominal pain.  There’s no common set of symptoms.  It’s a diagnosis of exclusion.  It’s necessary to exclude ‘real’ diseases, such as coeliac disease and inflammatory bowel disease.

Some people have noted that it’s diet related, and eliminating certain foods is helpful.  Your LCHF diet works only because it’s a highly restrictive diet, eliminating a whole range of carbohydrates, including some which have been noted to worsen the symptoms.  It’s a good reason for you to persist with it, but it’s not a good reason for you to be proselytising for it.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 10:14:10 AM »
Megan had her initial appointment with this clinic, and she felt pretty positive about it.  The doctor uses conventional medicine as much as possible, but also tries cutting edge treatments that haven't yet been clinically researched.  He doesn't buy into acupuncture, reflexology, homeopathy, chiropractic, etc.  I'm still on the fence because, if something is not clinically proven, how does he know how safe or effective it will be?  Megan said she's willing to be a guinea pig since the doctors she has seen so far haven't helped.

The great news is that she put me and her dad on her consent form and asked the doctor to conference call with us.  They have e-mailed me and set up an appointment for this afternoon.  I get to ask my questions personally!  *hold my beer*

So, I went ahead and sent my question via e-mail because I want the doctor's best answer.  Here's my e-mail:

(click to show/hide)

I've already sent it, so I'm not asking for input on the e-mail.  But, I still have 6 hours before the phone call if you have anything else I should ask.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:20:55 AM by Billzbub »
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
You've covered the things I was going to rant about except for: Clinical trials are conducted after a review board makes a determination that the procedure offers reasonable prospects of being useful. Basically, this doctor is conducting clinical trials without an independent review beforehand, and without any sort of blinding to eliminate bias in the results or comparing against placebo. If a patient gets better he has no way of knowing if it was due to the procedure or if the person would have gotten better anyway.

OTOH, in your daughter's place, I'd probably be doing just what she is doing. My step-mother had IBS and I gather it is miserable.

But this is why independent review boards exist: To prevent doctors from throwing dirt at the wall to try and see what sticks, and then having no way of knowing if it stuck because of the dirt or because of the wall.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 10:31:05 AM »
Before your call I would suggest a PubMed search for IBS and diet.

I would be very surprised if diet is not part of the treatment.

FWIW diets (FODMAP;LCHF) have been found effective in clinical trials (better than any other approach) but are not accepted as a mainstream treatment.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 11:59:36 AM »
My gut reaction is that IBS is just people trying to diagnose a bad diet, especially since irregular bowel movements are a defining symptom. It's not a disease; it doesn't have a pathology; it's not a thing that's confirmed to exist. It's a collection of symptoms under a science-sounding label. The only treatment for IBS that sounds like real medicine is fiber supplements, which is similarly suggestive.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 02:10:36 PM »
But this is why independent review boards exist: To prevent doctors from throwing dirt at the wall to try and see what sticks, and then having no way of knowing if it stuck because of the dirt or because of the wall.

I did not mention this in the e-mail but I will keep it in mind during the phone call.  This is an excellent thought.
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »
My gut reaction is that IBS is just people trying to diagnose a bad diet, especially since irregular bowel movements are a defining symptom. It's not a disease; it doesn't have a pathology; it's not a thing that's confirmed to exist. It's a collection of symptoms under a science-sounding label. The only treatment for IBS that sounds like real medicine is fiber supplements, which is similarly suggestive.

"Gut reaction," hah!

Irritable Bowel Syndrome is not a disease. It's a syndrome. (that's what the S is). No irregular bowel movements are not a defining symptom. Pain in the bowels are the defining syndrome (that's what the I is for irritable, i.e. pain). The collection of symptoms, which include irregular bowel movements; diarrhea and constipation, vary, sometimes even in the same individual. But there is always pain and at least one other symptom.

It's pathology is unclear, but IBS is confirmed to exist.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 02:21:32 PM »
My gut reaction is...

Well played, sir!

...that IBS is just people trying to diagnose a bad diet, especially since irregular bowel movements are a defining symptom. It's not a disease; it doesn't have a pathology; it's not a thing that's confirmed to exist. It's a collection of symptoms under a science-sounding label. The only treatment for IBS that sounds like real medicine is fiber supplements, which is similarly suggestive.

I have a bad diet, and I'm not doubled over in gut pain a few times a week.  She has a great diet, and is.  So I don't think a bad diet is the sole cause of IBS.  Maybe diet can affect it, but it does not cause it.

Just because we don't yet understand what causes the symptoms doesn't mean that there is not a root cause or multiple root causes.  And, whether or not IBS is a clearly-defined thing has no bearing on whether an individual suffering from the symptoms has a clearly-defined thing going on with them.  For example, my daughter may have gut biota that aren't working together correctly, or a tear in her intenstine, or who knows what else.  Just because they diagnosed it as IBS (a general term for these kind of symptoms), doesn't mean the cause can't be found and fixed.

She hasn't yet tried a strict keto diet or a long-term FODMAP diet, and I hope she does try both as low-cost, no risk trials.  I will also ask the doctor about them over the phone.  I will ask about fecal transplants and probiotics, too.  I've heard Steve's take on probiotics and want to know what this doctor things about them.

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 02:30:51 PM »
She hasn't yet tried a strict keto diet or a long-term FODMAP diet, and I hope she does try both as low-cost, no risk trials.  I will also ask the doctor about them over the phone.  I will ask about fecal transplants and probiotics, too.  I've heard Steve's take on probiotics and want to know what this doctor things about them.

I'm not saying I'm certain it's not real. But it is a thing that's not confirmed to exist (because there is no confirmed pathology or mechanism of action), and the most likely explanation IMO is not getting enough water & fiber.

In case you're wondering, FODMAP's are often found in beans. Basically, just like bean flatulence, some people have more issue with it than others. The gut flora <---> FODMAP connection isn't absurd, but probably a niche effect.

LCHF, or otherwise avoiding FODMAP's & grains is strongly correlated with getting less fiber (one of the best arguments against those diets), which is likely to make the problem worse. 

Plus, if someone is transitioning back into eating a proper amount of fiber, they are going to get more gas as the fiber causes a bloom in the kind of gut flora that digest it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:42:58 PM by stands2reason »

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 02:39:04 PM »
I have it, nobody can ever tell me whats wrong. I have had a colostomy, upper and lower GIs, nothing.  Diet makes no difference.

I believe it is anxiety related or similar, at least in my case.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 06:13:22 PM »
My gut reaction is...

Well played, sir!

...that IBS is just people trying to diagnose a bad diet, especially since irregular bowel movements are a defining symptom. It's not a disease; it doesn't have a pathology; it's not a thing that's confirmed to exist. It's a collection of symptoms under a science-sounding label. The only treatment for IBS that sounds like real medicine is fiber supplements, which is similarly suggestive.

I have a bad diet, and I'm not doubled over in gut pain a few times a week.  She has a great diet, and is.  So I don't think a bad diet is the sole cause of IBS.  Maybe diet can affect it, but it does not cause it.

Or, maybe, what you think is a "bad diet" may not be all that bad, and what you think is a "good diet" may have interactions that actually cause it. (Also there is a theory that it gut micro biome may have an influence, but that's the dietary equivalent of saying "who knows, maybe it's dragon"

And please report the response here!

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 06:14:26 PM »
I have it, nobody can ever tell me whats wrong. I have had a colostomy, upper and lower GIs, nothing.  Diet makes no difference.

Have you gone script LCHF or strict FODMAP?

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 06:29:06 PM »
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2019, 06:35:57 PM »

Have you gone script LCHF or strict FODMAP?

Well, when you eat, you’re not just feeding yourself, you’re also feeding the much larger number of cells represented by the bacteria within your gut.  Your gut bacteria are adapted and selected for the diet you consume.  If you change your diet radically, it’s likely that your current gut bacteria aren’t going to ‘like’ it and respond by producing diarrhoea, which is going to eliminate and select against your current gut bacteria.

Going on a LCHF diet often causes diarrhoea or constipation, illustrating that changing your diet often has effects.  It’s probably best to avoid foods that cause symptoms, and to keep your diet as close as possible to constant.  If LCHF diets are effective in managing IBS, then it’s probably because it’s a restrictive diet.  Eventually your gut bacteria adapts or is selected for the food items in the diet, and the symptoms disappear.

I love Bircher muesli, but from experience I know it’s best for me to avoid it.  The oatmeal for me is almost ‘lethal.’
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?