Author Topic: "China's religious persecution is a secularist issue"  (Read 108 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
"China's religious persecution is a secularist issue"
« on: July 12, 2019, 06:47:43 PM »
China's religious persecution is a secularist issue

China may be the most godless country in the world, but it is far from being a secular one. Stephen Evans says the intensifying religious persecution in the repressive state must be condemned.

China is by far the most godless country in the world. According to one recent survey, 67% of respondents in China considered themselves 'convinced atheists'.

But China is far from being a secularist state. This is evidenced by its latest draconian crackdown on religious freedom. Secularism is a principled defender of freedom of religion, belief and expression. China is a serial abuser.

Hollow cries of 'religious persecution' from groups seeking religious privileges in the west belittle genuine claims and increase scepticism around the claims of people who really are being persecuted for their faith or belief. But what's going on in China really is religious persecution.

Religious freedom, along with the right to speak freely and question ideologies and beliefs is the absolute cornerstone of free and democratic societies. Believers and nonbelievers have common cause in protecting these fundamental values – and should unite in condemning religious oppression, wherever it is happening and whoever is being oppressed.

I agree.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
Re: "China's religious persecution is a secularist issue"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 07:27:04 PM »
What if you have a religion, or a sect of a religion, which seeks to overthrow the government and its ideology, and replace it with its own ideology?  This applies both in China’s authoritarian capitalistic system as well as in liberal democracies.

Religion doesn’t have a free pass to do whatever it wants.  As far as I’m concerned, religion doesn’t have the right to indoctrinate children (but preventing it is impossible).  It also shouldn’t have the right or freedom to restrict my freedom.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 07:35:52 PM »
What if you have a religion, or a sect of a religion, which seeks to overthrow the government and its ideology, and replace it with its own ideology?  This applies both in China’s authoritarian capitalistic system as well as in liberal democracies.

Yeah, that's the justification that the Chinese government uses for sending the Uyghurs to re-education camps.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 11:57:14 PM »

Yeah, that's the justification that the Chinese government uses for sending the Uyghurs to re-education camps.

Does a religion have the right to freedom and free speech if it seeks to restrict the freedom and free speech of people not belonging to its religion?  Do you know what the Uyghurs are hoping to achieve?
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?