Author Topic: Episode #731  (Read 1834 times)

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #731
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 03:44:14 AM »
Cara says she can't feel earthquakes below a 6 and felt that very few people could feel anything below a high 5. She sounded amazed that people could feel a 3. Could this be because she lives in a large city where traffic and heavy commercial businesses just overpower such weak tremors?  ???

I live in a remote, thinly populated area and have experienced about a dozen tremors over my life and they were all between 2.5 and 3.5. The 3.5 was enough to feel minor movement, and was felt by people over several towns in my area.

I'd guess so. I felt a 3.7 once (about 100 km away, if I found the right one looking it up now). Everything was quiet, and then when it happened my first suspicion that something or someone had fallen upstairs. Then I realized that it was an earthquake when I checked and found nothing wrong.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 03:46:42 AM by 2397 »

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2019, 05:00:21 AM »
It completely depends on how far away you are. If you’re close enough you’ll feel it. I felt m3 aftershocks at northridge and even they are scary when you’re right on top of them. They don’t last long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 06:34:41 AM »
Well, I just felt a 4.7 Thursday morning here in the Puget Sound area.  Nobody awake would have missed it, as the whole house shook & creaked. It sounded like Bigfoot running on the roof from North to South. It even woke my wife who is a sound sleeper.

I once felt a nearby 2.5 as I happened to just sit down on the bed that very moment and felt a shiver down my back arising from the mattress.

Offline Zec

• Off to a Start
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 08:26:19 AM »
So Last week WTN could possibly be a snuff audio of a woman’s last screams while burning to death. (?!)
Seriously guys, that’s so upsetting and insensitive, WTF were you thinking.  ???

Offline GodHead

• Off to a Start
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 12:18:02 PM »
Nonsense. Social Darwinian nonsense.

Look at how China has turned its entire population into a mindless collective of automatons by killing all the smart people and everyone with any kind of originality and individuality during the Great Leap Forward.

It works. We should just do it in the opposite fashion.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2019, 12:49:44 PM »
Nonsense. Social Darwinian nonsense.

Look at how China has turned its entire population into a mindless collective of automatons by killing all the smart people and everyone with any kind of originality and individuality during the Great Leap Forward.

It works. We should just do it in the opposite fashion.
Ill informed, ignorant and possibly racist nonsense. With whacky social Darwinism thrown in to boot.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 12:51:57 PM »
Cara says she can't feel earthquakes below a 6 and felt that very few people could feel anything below a high 5. She sounded amazed that people could feel a 3. Could this be because she lives in a large city where traffic and heavy commercial businesses just overpower such weak tremors?  ???

I live in a remote, thinly populated area and have experienced about a dozen tremors over my life and they were all between 2.5 and 3.5. The 3.5 was enough to feel minor movement, and was felt by people over several towns in my area.

Before I moved out of L.A. I lived one lot away from a freeway on-ramp. At night diesel trucks would sit at the long stoplight waiting to get on the freeway, revving their engines, and making my windows rattle and my whole apartment shake. If we'd had a magnitude 7 earthquake just then I'm not sure I'd even realize it.  ::)  Gad, that was a horrid place to live! North Dakota winters were a delight after that apartment. (And North Dakota winters were pretty fierce!)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 02:20:12 PM »
Mag 4 is about  my  threshold for feeling  quakes in my suburban NorCal home... if I'm awake.  That'll sometimes rattle the chandeliers a little too.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »
So Last week WTN could possibly be a snuff audio of a woman’s last screams while burning to death. (?!)
Seriously guys, that’s so upsetting and insensitive, WTF were you thinking.  ???

This is an valid point that I'd like to see explored. I found it morbidly interesting but not  upsetting.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline GodHead

• Off to a Start
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2019, 03:05:37 PM »
Ill informed, ignorant and possibly racist nonsense. With whacky social Darwinism thrown in to boot.

Do you really think that we can't shape society through targeted extermination of those who hold certain ideas?

Would that really not have an impact?

China is a living example! In just a couple short generations they've created semi-humans lacking any sort of individuality or independent thought.

Just think of what we could do if we used this power for good instead of Chinese evil! Imagine how much better the world would be if China had killed everyone who believed in TCM in the 60s, instead of everyone who could think for themselves!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 03:09:39 PM by GodHead »

Online CarbShark

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 03:20:04 PM »

Do you really think that we can't shape society through targeted extermination of those who hold certain ideas?

China is a living example! In just a couple short generations they've created semi-humans lacking any sort of individuality or independent thought.

Just think of what we could do if we used this power for good instead of Chinese evil! Imagine how much better the world would be if China had killed everyone who believed in TCM in the 60s, instead of everyone who could think for themselves!
Maybe this forum isn’t for you

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2019, 03:38:25 PM »
What you propose is monstrous.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 03:48:52 PM »

Maybe this forum isn’t for you

Seems to me that it may be that society in general may not be for GodHead. Does advocating for mass murder violate the forum rules?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline GodHead

• Off to a Start
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2019, 03:56:17 PM »
We don't need to murder them.

We just need to encourage them to kill themselves with quack medicine.

It's win/win and we get to keep our hands clean.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2019, 04:23:22 PM »

Have you ever actually met anyone who lives in China? I have. Your characterization of them is so completely wrong it boggles the mind. (And your proposal is monstrous.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain