Author Topic: Episode #731  (Read 1587 times)

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
Re: Episode #731
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2019, 01:07:39 AM »
IIRC, Noakes page was deleted or was on the verge of being deleted a few months ago.

It is still there (from the hyperlink).  He might not have earned a Nobel but his list of achievements dwarfs that of any on the SGU, IMHO.  Hard to hide a giant, really.

Waterlogged is my favourite book of his.

And he still has a Wikipedia page.  What's your point?

No point but it doesn't look like a wikipedia page.

How doesn’t it look like a Wikipedia page?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Noakes

This letter m ^ denotes that the link is for a mobile site. If you remove that, it'll go to the normal page.

How exactly does the mobile site differ from the normal page?  On my iPad, they look identical.

The format is simplified for mobile platforms.

So, an iPad isn’t ‘mobile?’

I don't know whether iPads are directed to the mobile site or the regular site. But if you open a wikipedia page in a laptop or desktop computer using the URL without the "m" in it, you'll see the "normal" web page.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2019, 01:19:42 AM »
IIRC, Noakes page was deleted or was on the verge of being deleted a few months ago.

It is still there (from the hyperlink).  He might not have earned a Nobel but his list of achievements dwarfs that of any on the SGU, IMHO.  Hard to hide a giant, really.

This letter m ^ denotes that the link is for a mobile site. If you remove that, it'll go to the normal page.

How exactly does the mobile site differ from the normal page?  On my iPad, they look identical.

I don't know whether iPads are directed to the mobile site or the regular site. But if you open a wikipedia page in a laptop or desktop computer using the URL without the "m" in it, you'll see the "normal" web page.

What happens if you open a Wikipedia page using the URL with the ‘m’ in it on a laptop or a desktop?  On an iPad, I see the ‘normal’ page.  What is the difference between the mobile page and the normal page?  But if Wikipedia provides a mobile page for mobile devices, then that’s normal too.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2019, 01:26:35 AM »

What happens if you open a Wikipedia page using the URL with the ‘m’ in it on a laptop or a desktop?

You'll get the mobile version of the web page.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2019, 01:34:01 AM »

What happens if you open a Wikipedia page using the URL with the ‘m’ in it on a laptop or a desktop?

You'll get the mobile version of the web page.

Actually, if you scroll to the very bottom of any Wikipedia article, on any device, there will be an option to switch to the other webpage view.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2019, 01:54:12 AM »
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2019, 02:04:59 AM »
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

You don't say!

Offline bdmelcher

• Brand New
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2019, 09:20:50 PM »
I, too, was amused by Cara's earthquake remarks. We live in northern Illinois where we occasionally get small 2.X or even 3.0-ish quakes. Many have gone unnoticed by me. The ones that are noticed usually occur early in the morning while I am in bed. But I personally experienced a 4.2 while in LA on 9/9/2001. I was lying in a hotel bed and I noticed it immediately. The room reverberated and at first I thought a train or other large vehicle was passing close to the building, but I eventually realized that it was an earthquake. My wife was down in one of the hotel gift shops at that time and she said the clerk ran from behind the counter out into the adjoining hallway. I can't imagine anyone not noticing a magnitude 6 at close range. I have to think Cara either got her magnitude numbers wrong or is thinking of events where she was away from the epicenter.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2019, 04:12:25 AM »
I have to think Cara either got her magnitude numbers wrong or is thinking of events where she was away from the epicenter.

Or maybe she was a bit self absorbed.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2019, 01:46:37 PM »
She did mention it depends on how close you are.

She’s most likely basing that on her experience in the Southern California earthquake zone, where most quakes have been  fairly distant and most people don’t feel most 3s or even fours.

Usually (luckily) only a small number of people are close enough to the epicenters to be bothered by 2s or 3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2019, 03:59:08 PM »
It always felt like earthquakes when I crossed the bridges over the Guadalquivir every time a truck went by, which was almost constant.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2019, 10:54:23 AM »
Victoria Lee, as documented by the Old 97s, took a path opposite of Cara's...

This is the story of Victoria Lee,
She started off on Percodan and ended up with me.
She lived in Berkeley 'til the earthquake shook her loose.
She lives in Texas now where nothin' ever moves.

personate-rain