Author Topic: All Deepfake research must be terminated. Society is not ready.  (Read 3321 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: All Deepfake research must be terminated. Society is not ready.
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2019, 10:23:17 PM »
Shibboleth, that's a fascinating idea. I bet it could be used to morph eye position - as Apple is starting to do - so we actually look like we're looking at the camera in a video call.

The Stuff You Should Know guys did an ep on this topic this week. I'd put them in the 3/4 range for oveall accuracy - normal for them, and significantly higher than most shows where I know what's what.

I enjoy their banter - which is a significant portion of the show. They're one of the oldest podcasts out there, so they're doing something appealing. :)

https://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/podcasts/will-deepfakes-ruin-the-world.htm
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2019, 10:29:05 PM »
I've tried listening to a few episodes, but they always sound like they have no idea what they're talking about.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2019, 01:40:34 AM »
I also tried listening to that podcast, but found their explanations of things I do know so muddled and often plain wrong that I didn’t trust anything they said that I didn’t already know.  Kinda made the whole exercise pointless.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2019, 08:22:15 AM »
I listened to a few episodes of Stuff You Should Know about 10 years ago, but had to quit in disgust at their fear-mongering about fluoride, and enthusiastic endorsement of alt-med practices like chiropractic and colonic irrigation.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2019, 08:48:56 AM »
Yeah, I'm not endorsing their accuracy in general. I like their banter and use the topics as a starting point for further learning, generally. In this case a layperson with no idea what deepfakes are would come away with a reasonably accurate orientation to the topic.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2019, 09:38:13 PM »
Yeah, I'm not endorsing their accuracy in general. I like their banter and use the topics as a starting point for further learning, generally. In this case a layperson with no idea what deepfakes are would come away with a reasonably accurate orientation to the topic.

But, because of the source, would have no way of knowing whether that ‘orientation’ was accurate or utter bullshit, which makes the information worthless.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2019, 11:50:31 PM »

But, because of the source, would have no way of knowing whether that ‘orientation’ was accurate or utter bullshit, which makes the information worthless.

In this specific case I am saying that based on my knowledge this episode is accurate enough to be worthwhile for a layperson. The hosts are personable and engaging, which helps with the 'layperson listening' part.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2019, 01:56:22 AM »

In this specific case I am saying that based on my knowledge this episode is accurate enough to be worthwhile for a layperson. The hosts are personable and engaging, which helps with the 'layperson listening' part.

My point is that, however personable the hosts, information they give is useless to a ‘layperson listening’ if he cannot know it’s value without already knowing it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:59:12 AM by The Latinist »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2019, 01:59:06 AM »

My point is that information is useless to a ‘layperson listening’ if, because of the poor quality of the source, he cannot know the value of any information he does not already know.

If the layperson listening had never listened to the podcast before, they wouldn't have any basis to determine the value of the information. It would just be information.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2019, 02:05:12 AM »

My point is that information is useless to a ‘layperson listening’ if, because of the poor quality of the source, he cannot know the value of any information he does not already know.

If the layperson listening had never listened to the podcast before, they wouldn't have any basis to determine the value of the information. It would just be information.

Information on which they should not rely because the people giving it are bullshit artists. This is like quoting Donald Trump as a source because he happens to have said something that’s not a lie once. Whether the thing he said is true or not, his words are useless because he’s a liar.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2019, 02:11:13 AM »

Information on which they should not rely because the people giving it are bullshit artists. This is like quoting Donald Trump as a source because he happens to have said something that’s not a lie once. Whether the thing he said is true or not, his words are useless because he’s a liar.

But without having listened to the show before, they have no way to know that.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2019, 09:08:37 AM »

I don't understand your apparant hostility here. I agree that an unreliable source should not be trusted blindly.

*This episode* has information that is *accurate enough* for a *basic orientation* to the topic.

I would be comfortable suggesting a non-podcast-listening friend give this single episode a listen within the constraints noted above. That judgement is based on my expertise (limited as it is) and my assessment of their accuracy.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2019, 08:06:07 PM »
I get the impression that their level of accuracy is highly variable, not that everything that they say is bullshit. They are unreliable, but you can't prejudge any single subject they talk about.

For me it was their delivery that put me off, not the quality of the information.

Offline Igor SMC

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2019, 08:55:55 PM »
The Shining starring Jim Carrey : Episode 1 - Concentration [DeepFake]
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2019, 12:53:01 AM »
Reference Image for D&D: Doppleganger face transitions (starts ~0:53)

This one's just funny

Bonus: Mage who spends the first few rounds just buffing
(click to show/hide)

... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

personate-rain