Author Topic: All Deepfake research must be terminated. Society is not ready.  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Igor SMC

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: All Deepfake research must be terminated. Society is not ready.
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2019, 04:51:58 PM »
Jordan Peterson wrote a text about literally the very problem that I raised on this thread. People are already using his voice to make him say whatever they want... And that already is extremely harmful and stressful to him. And remember... The AI that can learn how to impersonate Jordan Peterson, is the same that can learn YOUR VOICE.

I Didn’t Say That
https://www.jordanbpeterson.com/blog-posts/i-didnt-say-that/

(...) This week, however, a company called notjordanpeterson.com put an AI engine online that allows anyone to type anything and have it reproduced in my voice. It’s hard to get access to or use the site, at the moment, presumably because it is currently attracting more traffic than its servers can handle. A variety of sites that pass themselves off as news portals—and sometimes are—have either reported this story straight (Sputnik News) or had a field day (Gizmodo) having me read, for example, the SCUM manifesto (hypothetically an acronym for Society for Cutting Up Men), a radical feminist rant by Valerie Solanos published in 1967. Solanos, by the way, later shot the artist Andy Warhol, an act, driven by her developing paranoia. He was seriously wounded, requiring a surgical corset to hold his organs in place for the rest of his life. TNW takes a middle path, reporting the facts of the situation with little bias but using the system to have me voice very vulgar phrases. (...)

The technology for destruction and abuse is already here. The technology to counter that... is not.

Edit: After Jordan Peterson started procedures for a Lawsuit against the owners of the site, its functionality was taken out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:02:16 PM by Igor SMC »
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2019, 07:34:30 PM »
I'm tempted to say that Jordan Peterson said it, therefore it's worthless, but I won't. Instead I'll say this:

Yeah. Deal with it.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2019, 05:43:43 PM »
It's quite impressive, the extent to which these wealthy, overpaid bigots have made a cottage industry of dreaming up novel ways to portray themselves as victims.

Offline Igor SMC

« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2019, 03:06:26 PM »
From Nature:
Halt the use of facial-recognition technology until it is regulated
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02514-7
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline Igor SMC

« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2019, 06:06:30 PM »
And then... this happened. We can be sure... this is a first of many, MANY MORE to come. The general population is training AIs because of memes... and this is the result.

Deepfaked Voice of CEO Used to Steal Almost $250,000 from Company
https://interestingengineering.com/deepfaked-voice-of-ceo-used-to-steal-almost-250000-from-company

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2019, 08:47:35 PM »
Theft and embezzlement is already a crime. The only thing that has changed here is the method.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline stochastibot

• Off to a Start
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2019, 03:32:27 AM »
It seems that DARPA is already funding research on detecting faked videos:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/611726/the-defense-department-has-produced-the-first-tools-for-catching-deepfakes/

and FAIR is actively looking into it as well:

https://ai.facebook.com/blog/deepfake-detection-challenge

Offline stochastibot

• Off to a Start
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2019, 03:41:15 AM »
I found a few papers reporting around 97% - 99% accuracy in detecting faked videos, so I don't think faked videos are going to be that huge of a threat. 

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2019, 04:02:48 AM »
I found a few papers reporting around 97% - 99% accuracy in detecting faked videos, so I don't think faked videos are going to be that huge of a threat.

But now begins the arms race.

Offline Igor SMC

« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2019, 12:36:41 PM »
Well.... the day arrived.

1) A study showed that people already are as good as a coin flip in terms of saying if certain videos are deepfakes or not. This is the milestone of the complete failure from humans to accurately tell fiction from reality.
2) This awesome detection technology will solve all the deepfake problems, right? Alas.... it will just accelerate it further. This algorithm will now be used as the Discriminator on the Generative Adversarial Network, and Deepfakes are now asymptotically getting close to perfection. We already have two feet on dystopic territory.

DeepFake Detector AIs Are Good Too!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 12:39:18 PM by Igor SMC »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2019, 01:28:34 PM »
I fail to see the point of wringing our hands over something that is inevitable.  We must adjust to the new reality, just as we've adjusted to the reality that privacy is an illusion.  The alternative is a Butlerian jihad, which I don't think any of us wants.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »

I found this funny but mostly really impressive.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Igor SMC

« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2019, 04:10:21 PM »
@brilligtove

Very impressive indeed!
Did you noticed that that video is "cheating" precisely in one of the ways mentioned in the paper above? They even placed an option of 4k resolution in the settings.... but the resolution of the video was purposefully scaled down to hide the artifacts from the image.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2019, 07:44:49 PM »
At least we have Captain Disillusion on our side.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
@brilligtove

Very impressive indeed!
Did you noticed that that video is "cheating" precisely in one of the ways mentioned in the paper above? They even placed an option of 4k resolution in the settings.... but the resolution of the video was purposefully scaled down to hide the artifacts from the image.

I did not notice that - but I haven't had time to look at the paper. I am impressed by how effective the combination of voice and facial morphing can be, though.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain