Author Topic: And the new 007 is.... (news spoilers)  (Read 420 times)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
And the new 007 is.... (news spoilers)
« on: July 14, 2019, 09:34:27 PM »
Lashana Lynch from Captain Marvel will be the new 007 but she is not Bond.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7244671/Thought-007-never-woman-black-shes-James-Bond-hand-number-over.html

A movie insider said: 'There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007', and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman.

'It's a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he's been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman.

'Bond, of course, is sexually attracted to the new female 007 and tries his usual seduction tricks, but is baffled when they don't work on a brilliant, young black woman who basically rolls her eyes at him and has no interest in jumping into his bed. Well, certainly not at the beginning.'

The source added that the phrase 'Bond girls' is now forbidden, saying: 'We were all told that from now on they are to be addressed as 'Bond women'.'

Fantastic! I cant wait to see it. Blofeld will be back as well
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: And the new 007 is.... (news spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 11:32:20 PM »
A bold move! I'm excited!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 12:10:08 AM »
I was hoping for Lupita, but this is almost as great.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 07:37:24 AM »
I think this is a have their cake and eat it move to seem like they are doing more diverse casting without actually affecting Bond himself by casting Idris Elba or someone non white in the main role.
Do we really think that by the next movie Bond wont be 007 again? Have we forgotten that he has been paired with formidable women who initially resist his advances before? Moneypenny in Skyfall for example or Michelle Yeoh in The World is Not Enough.

The actress in question is great but I dont think this really means anything for the franchise overall.

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 07:49:02 AM »
Wot, no headscarf? I can overlook this shocking example of islamophobia (never mind the ableism) as long as she's at least lesbian. Oh, and the cultural appropriation, of course.

James Bond jumped the shark long ago anyway, but this is clearly an attention-seeking cry for help.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 08:55:12 AM »
Meh, I like the Craig movies but they aren't Bond. James Bond is a womanizing psychopath from the 60s.  The whole continuity thing the new movies do has really broken that formula.  Don't get me wrong, their good action thrillers but they just aren't James bond.  Somewhat true of the Dalton movies too.

Anyrate, 007 who isn't James Bond regardless of race and gender is just a different franchise from the one Sean Connery and Roger Moore were in.  I'm sure they'll be good action spy thrillers. 

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 09:35:02 AM »
So it's like when Thor was replaced by Thor, but he was still Thor. Except the pseudonym and codename were both Thor, and it wasn't a pseudonym.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 10:16:57 AM »
You all act like this is the first black Bond girl. This is meaninglesss. Call me again when they actually cast a new Bond.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »
Meh, I like the Craig movies but they aren't Bond. James Bond is a womanizing psychopath from the 60s.  The whole continuity thing the new movies do has really broken that formula.

It was before my time, but I get the impression that Bond is a joke/parody character. Like the joke that every time the Guardian publishes an article mentioning James Bond, you should increase the percentage of your retirement account that is bonds vs stocks.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 11:39:16 AM »
(https://www.thedailybeast.com/lashana-lynch-a-black-woman-is-taking-over-as-james-bond-its-about-damn-time)

Quote from: The Daily Beast
According to the report, the upcoming, yet-to-be-titled 25th Bond film will reveal Lynch as the new 007 with Craig’s character coming out of retirement for one last mission.

If I am reading this right, it is a big deal for the franchise.

Canonically, how long has Bond been Agent 007? I get the impression that the movies take place at about the time when they are released, which would mean that James Bond has been a 00-Agent for six decades. Up until now Agent 007 has always been the same person? Unless of course James Bond is also a code-name, as opposed to an actual fictitious person.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 12:17:05 PM »
You all act like this is the first black Bond girl. This is meaninglesss. Call me again when they actually cast a new Bond.

Except they are now officially "Bond women" and the term "Bond girl" is banned.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:19:35 PM by Captain Video »

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
I think this is a have their cake and eat it move to seem like they are doing more diverse casting without actually affecting Bond himself by casting Idris Elba or someone non white in the main role.
Do we really think that by the next movie Bond wont be 007 again? Have we forgotten that he has been paired with formidable women who initially resist his advances before? Moneypenny in Skyfall for example or Michelle Yeoh in The World is Not Enough.

The actress in question is great but I dont think this really means anything for the franchise overall.
\

I'm pretty sure the next Bond movie will not be a Bond movie and will now simply be 007.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 12:21:36 PM »
Nobody complained when Halle Berry appeared in a Bond movie.

As for "old Bond", were the numbers retired when a "00" retired or died? I don't recall that. Mojo points for "007" being on duty for more than a half century, irrespective of whether or not there were replacements.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 12:38:15 PM »
(https://www.thedailybeast.com/lashana-lynch-a-black-woman-is-taking-over-as-james-bond-its-about-damn-time)

Quote from: The Daily Beast
According to the report, the upcoming, yet-to-be-titled 25th Bond film will reveal Lynch as the new 007 with Craig’s character coming out of retirement for one last mission.

If I am reading this right, it is a big deal for the franchise.

Canonically, how long has Bond been Agent 007? I get the impression that the movies take place at about the time when they are released, which would mean that James Bond has been a 00-Agent for six decades. Up until now Agent 007 has always been the same person? Unless of course James Bond is also a code-name, as opposed to an actual fictitious person.

(click to show/hide)

That is, of course, making the assumption that the entire storyline is canonical (Felix Leiter has been played by 8 actors, including a black man)... and different agents have held the same OO* numbers in official media (books, films, graphic novels, computer games). The OO licence is just a licence to kill. There is no reason to suggest that it would be retired with the agent. And considering that Bond would have been born in the 1920s in the early stuff...

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

personate-rain