Author Topic: The "Storm Area 51" memes  (Read 2787 times)

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: The "Storm Area 51" memes
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2019, 11:43:47 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelgoldstein/2019/09/16/area-51-celebrations-set-as-vegas-lays-odds-on-number-of-arrests/#6d22ef035050

Speculation on how many people will show up—and what their intentions and actions will be—is so intense that, Nevada being Nevada, BetOnline.ag is literally setting odds on how many people will be arrested. In the peculiar language of sports betting, you can bet that over 8.5 people will be arrested, at odds of -120 (5/6), or that under 8.5 people will be arrested, -120 (5/6).  Another prop bet is “Will anyone illegally access Rachel military area?” Yes is +500 (5/1), No -1000 (1/10). You can also bet on whether Donald Trump will tweet about Area 51 this week, with similar odds.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:54:35 AM by stands2reason »

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2019, 12:18:02 PM »
The article fails to mention whether these apprehended Dutch fellows even bothered to follow directions and run Naruto style.
I suspect they didn't, which was their downfall as it made them so much more likely to get caught.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2019, 06:34:54 PM »
The article fails to mention whether these apprehended Dutch fellows even bothered to follow directions and run Naruto style.
I suspect they didn't, which was their downfall as it made them so much more likely to get caught.

It really wasn't necessary to specify in the article that they failed to run Naruto style, since they were caught.  ;D  Perhaps, being from the Netherlands, they didn't know about Naruto. (?) (FWIW I had never heard of Naruto until this thing came up.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2019, 06:39:01 PM »
Naruto is such a stupid show.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2019, 08:35:19 PM »

It is, however, extremely popular.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2019, 08:46:54 PM »

I've never seen it. Never heard of it before this meme. Have no intention of ever watching it. But it tickled my funny bone when the meme showed up. "They'll never catch us if we run like Naruto with our arms out behind us."  ::)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2019, 08:50:50 PM »

I've never seen it. Never heard of it before this meme. Have no intention of ever watching it. But it tickled my funny bone when the meme showed up. "They'll never catch us if we run like Naruto with our arms out behind us."  ::)

It's not actually such a bad show, for an anime series aimed at early teens.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2019, 01:20:55 PM »
This is tomorrow. Anyone massing?
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2019, 03:39:20 PM »
Side note, my 1 year old occasionally runs Naruto style. 

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2019, 03:45:25 PM »
This is tomorrow. Anyone massing?

Not me. ;D
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2019, 04:24:00 PM »

Oh come on, it's terrible. The storylines are crap.

It's mind-numbing. You can sit and watch for half an hour and nothing happens. It draws everything out to an excruciating degree, so that even a single fight scene of a few minutes will often span several episodes, with half of each episode comprised of a slow-motion review of the inaction that had transpired in the previous episode.

And given that the animation style expands time so widely that a few seconds take up an entire 22 minute episode,  you might expect each episode to be packed with detail. But no. Because the animation is so lazy and shitty, all the nuance of a fight is delivered through hamfisted exposition in the form of voice-overs by the secondary characters who are standing around watching the fight from the sidelines. 

Stationary CU of girl character. "Oh, no! What is happening to his eyes? They're turning red!"

Shaky-cam ECU of Naruto in scribbly drawing style, his eyes glowing red. "Nggggghhh..."

Stationary CU of Naruto's best friend, looking quizzical: "Wait...what is that thing he's doing... could it be... the legendary magical eyeball technique?"

Stationary CU of Naruto's adversary, looking confused, then terrified: "Looks like the magical eyeball technique, but it can't be... I thought that was just a legend!"

Stationary CU of old man ninja who dresses like a humble chicken farmer: "Naruto, using the legendary magic eyeball? I didn't know he knew that technique!"

Stationary CU of Naruto's sensei, hand on chin: "Who taught Naruto how to use the legendary magical eyeball technique? He's not ready yet... if he hasn't learned how to control it, he could kill us all!"

Tune in next time to find out of Naruto really does know the legendary magical eyeball technique!

Naruto is garbage. It makes Pokemon look like Citizen Kane

There are much, much better shows for early teens.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 06:29:15 PM by John Albert »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2019, 08:50:03 PM »

Oh come on, it's terrible. The storylines are crap.

It's mind-numbing. You can sit and watch for half an hour and nothing happens. It draws everything out to an excruciating degree, so that even a single fight scene of a few minutes will often span several episodes, with half of each episode comprised of a slow-motion review of the inaction that had transpired in the previous episode.

And given that the animation style expands time so widely that a few seconds take up an entire 22 minute episode,  you might expect each episode to be packed with detail. But no. Because the animation is so lazy and shitty, all the nuance of a fight is delivered through hamfisted exposition in the form of voice-overs by the secondary characters who are standing around watching the fight from the sidelines. 

CU of girl character. "Oh, no! What is happening to his eyes? They're turning red!"

ECU of Naruto in scribbly drawing style, his eyes glowing red. "Nggggghhh..."

CU of Naruto's best friend, looking quizzical: "Wait...what is that thing he's doing... could it be... the legendary magical eyeball technique?"

CU of Naruto's adversary, looking confused, then terrified: "Looks like the magical eyeball technique, but it can't be... I thought that was just a legend!"

CU of old man ninja who dresses like a humble chicken farmer: "Naruto, using the legendary magic eyeball? I didn't know he knew that technique!"

CU of Naruto's sensei, hand on chin: "Who taught Naruto how to use the legendary magical eyeball technique? He's not ready yet... if he hasn't learned how to control it, he could kill us all!"

Tune in next time to find out of Naruto really does know the legendary magical eyeball technique!

Naruto is garbage. It makes Pokemon look like Citizen Kane

There are much, much better shows for early teens.

And yet, as I said, it is extremely popular. You are one of the few people who thinks it's crap. You hold a minority opinion.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2019, 09:49:31 PM »
Yeah, Vegas is better suited to hosting a large gathering of nutters. Lots of experience, plenty of accommodations, conference centers, great food, great entertainment, and for the terminally stupid: gambling. Even legal prostitution for those willing to drive a couple of hours (?) to the town of Pahrump. I'll bet some of the ladies would be willing to dress up as ETs for sufficiently-generous customers.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2019, 07:17:45 AM »
And yet, as I said, it is extremely popular.

Do you really think popularity is the best metric for judging art?

You are one of the few people who thinks it's crap. You hold a minority opinion.

I'm pretty sure the majority of people in the world don't even know what Naruto is, and they wouldn't give two shits about it if they did.

I don't know about the anime culture in Australia, but around here Naruto has long had a pretty low reputation among anime fans.[1,2,3] The American anime community generally considers the Naruto and its fanbase to be an embarrassment, to the extent they've coined a... special slur just for fans of that show.

But hey, it's silly for two grown men to argue the merits of a TV action cartoon aimed at adolescents. If you happen to like it, that's fine.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 06:29:44 PM by John Albert »

personate-rain
personate-rain