Author Topic: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development  (Read 665 times)

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
« on: July 16, 2019, 09:52:37 PM »
I found this while looking up info on population trends. It seems totally benign, and has no chance of actually happening as written, but damn that is a perfectly conspiratorial-sounding title.

(https://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/70/1&Lang=E)

Sustainable Development Goals
Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and
promote sustainable agriculture
Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote
lifelong learning opportunities for all
Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and
sanitation for all
Goal 7 Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern
energy for all
Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth,
full and productive employment and decent work for all
Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable
industrialization and foster innovation
Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and
sustainable
Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts*
Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine
resources for sustainable development
Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial
ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification,
and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable
development, provide access to justice for all and build
effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the
Global Partnership for Sustainable Development

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 04:02:37 AM »
This is why any law and general declaration needs to avoid using gendered language (or if it does, it needs to use all versions of gendered language equally), when talking about the desired end result;

5.3  Eliminate all harmful practices, such as child, early and forced marriage and female genital mutilation

To specifically state eliminating female genital mutilation is to specifically ignore male genital mutilation and intersex genital mutilation, and that not all are born one way or the other. All persons should be empowered to make their own choices about their own bodies when they're old enough, regardless of religion and culture.

This is a better phrasing;

We recognize that eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, including extreme poverty, is the greatest global challenge and an indispensable requirement for sustainable development.

E.g. it could've been "genital mutilation, including female genital mutilation", to put an emphasis on female genital mutilation. Instead of specifying female genital mutilation as if that's the only kind of genital mutilation to worry about.

7.a  By 2030, enhance international cooperation to facilitate access to clean energy research and technology, including renewable energy, energy efficiency and advanced and  cleaner fossil-fuel technology, and promote investment in energy infrastructure and clean energy technology

So who snuck "cleaner fossil-fuel technology" in there? The only way fossil fuels can be a part of a sustainable agenda is in the phasing out of it. You don't state a desire for cleaner fossil fuel technology, you impose limits on emissions, and ban anything that can't stay within the limits, or make it so expensive that it's impossible to profit from breaking them.

Increasing the share of renewables isn't actually going to help us, unless there's an absolute reduction in emissions.

I didn't read the whole thing, but overall it doesn't seem to say much about how to be sustainable. It doesn't bring to the front the problems with meat consumption and high fertility rates, or the need for taxing emissions. Things like eradicating poverty should of course be a goal, but achieving sustainability is more straightforward than that. Cut consumption, cut emissions. There's a lot of fluffy language in the document that doesn't help recognize that.

Online stands2reason

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 09:51:04 AM »
This is why any law and general declaration needs to avoid using gendered language (or if it does, it needs to use all versions of gendered language equally), when talking about the desired end result;

Agreed.

It doesn't bring to the front the problems with meat consumption and high fertility rates, or the need for taxing emissions.

Part of section 5 includes making birth control universally available; it is mentioned strictly as a female reproductive rights issue. It doesn't say anything specifically about sustainable population growth or fertility rate.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 02:14:08 PM »
I found this while looking up info on population trends. It seems totally benign, and has no chance of actually happening as written, but damn that is a perfectly conspiratorial-sounding title.

You are correct. The only thing I think when I see the words sustainable and agenda in the same sentence is Alex Jones. As I've stated in other threads, a good portion of my 20s and early 30s was dedicated to his brand of nonsense. I can still hear his gravely rants against Agenda21 and the Biological Diversity Act act of 2002 echoing through my mind. His decades-long mission to "defeat the globalists" has largely failed, but little things like that have helped to impede any real progress. I know too many people who will automatically vote against anyone or anything that aims to reduce carbon output, cuz freedom or something.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Online stands2reason

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 10:34:14 AM »
(http://www.lakesideworshipcenter.com/uplimg/cms/Wednesday%20Studies/New%20World%20Order/ConspiracyTheNewWorldOrderIntro.pdf)

Conspiracy: The New World Order
Introduction
Agenda 2030 is a
reference to a
document
adopted by the United Nations
called
Transforming Our
World: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
. This document was finalized on September 27
th
in New York City by the U
N
during their summit meeting involving 193 member nations all bound by
the
Declaration of Human Rights
adopted after the atrocities of World War II
. I think it is by no
coincidence that this all occurred during the 4
th
lunar eclipse/blood moon, and during
the Feast of
Tabernacles.
The U.N. uses a lot of important terms regarding this new agenda, including “global goals”
and “new universal agenda.” This agenda is supported by major companies, celebrities, and obviously
world leaders, including the pope, the
figure head of the Catholic Church. This agenda is designed
to
bring the world into complete unity against poverty, disease, inequality and a host of other issues.
They
realize that if we consume the world’s resources at the current rate, and the populatio
n continues to
grow we are going to run out of natural resources, and even contaminate existing resources. This
agenda is about putting controls in place to evenly share the world’s resources so that the richer nations
do not get all the resources while th
e poorer ones suffer. It is an aggressive, and elaborate place with
lots of good goals, but minus the one thing it needs in order to accomplish it, Jesus, and a new kingdom
without corruption and sin. God is eliminated.

T
he Bible actually foretells the U.N.’s
vision in Revelation and Daniel. Let’s take a look.
Revelation 13:1
-
5 (NIV)
And the dragon sto
od on the shore of the sea. And I saw a beast coming out of the sea. He had ten horns and
seven heads, with ten crowns on his horns, and on each head a blasphemous name. 2 The beast I saw resembled a
leopard, but had feet like those of a bear and a mouth l
ike that of a lion. The dragon gave the beast his power and
his throne and great authority. 3 One of the heads of the beast seemed to have had a fatal wound, b4 Men
worshipped the dragon because he had given authority to the beast, and they also worshipped
the beast and
asked, "Who is like the beast? Who can make war against him?" 5 The beast was given a mouth to utter proud
words and blasphemies and to exercise his authority for forty
-
two months. but the fatal wound had been healed.
The whole world was ast
onished and followed the beast. 6 He opened his mouth to blaspheme God, and to slander
his name and his dwelling
-
place and those who live in heaven. 7 He was given power to make war against the
saints and to conquer them. And he was given authority over ev
ery tribe, people, language and nation.
This
portion of the
text refers to the one world government. All the world powers give their authority
to one leader operating in the spirit of Satan himself. This person is referred to throughout the
Scripture as th
e antichrist.
Revelation 13:8
-
15 (NIV)
8 All inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast
--
all whose names have not been written in the book of life
belonging to the Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world.  9 He who has an ear, let him hear
. 10 If
anyone is to go into captivity, into captivity he will go. If anyone is to be killed with the sword, with the sword he
will be killed. This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of the saints. 11 Then I saw another
beast, coming
out of the earth. He had two horns like a lamb, but he spoke like a dragon. 12 He exercised all the
authority of the first beast on his behalf, and made the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose fatal
wound had been healed. 13 And he per
formed great and miraculous signs, even causing fire to come down from
heaven to earth in full view of men. 14 Because of the signs he was given power to do on behalf of the first beast,
he deceived the inhabitants of the earth. He ordered them to set up a
n image in honour of the beast who was
wounded by the sword and yet lived. 15 He was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that it
could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed.
This portion of the text r
efers to a one world religion. Finally this second beast will not only operate in
authority over the first beast, but he will implement a new world
-
wide religion with him as the object
of worship under penalty of death.
Revelation 13:16
-
18 (NIV)
16 He also
forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on
his forehead, 17 so that no
-
one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the
number of his name. 18 This calls fo
r wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it
is man's number. His number is 666.
This portion of the text refers to a one world economy. No one is certain what this mark will be,
although there have been several conspi
racy theories over the years. One thing is clear, once
someone receives the mark, they have made an irreversible
covenant with Satan himself and they are
doomed for destruction.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 01:36:29 AM »

5.3  Eliminate all harmful practices, such as child, early and forced marriage and female genital mutilation

To specifically state eliminating female genital mutilation is to specifically ignore male genital mutilation and intersex genital mutilation, and that not all are born one way or the other. All persons should be empowered to make their own choices about their own bodies when they're old enough, regardless of religion and culture.

This is a better phrasing;

We recognize that eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, including extreme poverty, is the greatest global challenge and an indispensable requirement for sustainable development.

E.g. it could've been "genital mutilation, including female genital mutilation", to put an emphasis on female genital mutilation. Instead of specifying female genital mutilation as if that's the only kind of genital mutilation to worry about.

7.a  By 2030, enhance international cooperation to facilitate access to clean energy research and technology, including renewable energy, energy efficiency and advanced and  cleaner fossil-fuel technology, and promote investment in energy infrastructure and clean energy technology

So who snuck "cleaner fossil-fuel technology" in there? The only way fossil fuels can be a part of a sustainable agenda is in the phasing out of it. You don't state a desire for cleaner fossil fuel technology, you impose limits on emissions, and ban anything that can't stay within the limits, or make it so expensive that it's impossible to profit from breaking them.

Increasing the share of renewables isn't actually going to help us, unless there's an absolute reduction in emissions.

I didn't read the whole thing, but overall it doesn't seem to say much about how to be sustainable. It doesn't bring to the front the problems with meat consumption and high fertility rates, or the need for taxing emissions. Things like eradicating poverty should of course be a goal, but achieving sustainability is more straightforward than that. Cut consumption, cut emissions. There's a lot of fluffy language in the document that doesn't help recognize that.
Female genital mutilation is a couple order of magnitude worse than circumcision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 03:00:10 AM »
Female genital mutilation is a couple order of magnitude worse than circumcision.

Depends on the case. Either way, both are unnecessary, and there's no reason to add a qualifier to make sure you don't stop a certain kind of mutilation.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »
That’s a false equivalence.

Female genital mutilation as it’s done is far worse than circumcising.

Do some research.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 10:47:00 AM »
Death is equal to death. Amputation is equal to amputation. Lifelong pain is equal to lifelong pain. Being robbed of your right to choose for yourself is equal to being robbed of your right to choose for yourself.

There's variety in how adults decide to cut the genitalia of infants and young children, and there's variety in the statistical results. But why is it controversial to be opposed to all forms of genital mutilation?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 10:54:33 AM by 2397 »

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »
Death is equal to death. Amputation is equal to amputation. Lifelong pain is equal to lifelong pain. Being robbed of your right to choose for yourself is equal to being robbed of your right to choose for yourself.

There's variety in how adults decide to cut the genitalia of infants and young children, and there's variety in the statistical results. But why is it controversial to be opposed to all forms of genital mutilation?

Do some research.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 03:17:40 AM »
What exactly are you questioning? Circumcision injuries can be a disturbing topic to research, here's a study; "Amputation of Glans Penis: A Rare Circumcision Complication and Successful Management with Primary Anastomosis and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy", which includes a botched circumcision of a 7-year old and photos.

Here's an article that talks about various complications, also with photos; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3253617/

It's not really something I feel like looking that much more into. But it is established that it can lead to death or other permanent injuries, and it is completely pointless unless it's already a medical issue before you do it. There are no benefits to weigh the risks up against, for performing ritual alterations of children's genitals.

Online stands2reason

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 10:16:15 AM »
I guess the real issue is that all rules should be equal, but the problems they are aiming to solve aren't equivalent.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 12:13:52 PM »
The two procedures are not equivalent. Circumcision removes the foreskin, a tiny bit of skin at the tip of the penis, and has no impact on sexual performance or enjoyment.

Female Genital Mutilation removes the clitoris   That’s the anatomical equivalent of removing the head of the penis. And it seriously impacts sexual enjoyment along with other very common side effects.

There are very very rare issues that come up with Circumcision, due to mistakes mostly, that may cause long term performance and enjoyment issues. The purpose, goal and function of FGM is to cause long term sexual dysfunction and enjoyment issues.

On the scale of bad mutilation of babies Circumcision Is closer to ear piercing. FGM is orders of magnitude worse.   

There is no equivalency. And arguing that they are the same weakens the credibility of your argument from both directions.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 01:36:22 PM »
I don't see why someone would pierce the ear of someone who didn't consent to it, but punctures heal if you remove the obstruction. A successful circumcision does not heal.

I'm not saying they are the same in every way, I'm saying there are more types of genital mutilation than female genital mutilation. For that matter, more types of FGM, all of which are treated as something that should be stopped, as they should be. But it takes nothing to not use the qualifier, and broaden the objective to eliminate all genital mutilation. Instead it's an implicit approval of routine cutting of the genitalia of any children not recognized as female.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 03:42:42 PM »

I don't see why someone would pierce the ear of someone who didn't consent to it, but punctures heal if you remove the obstruction. A successful circumcision does not heal.

I'm not saying they are the same in every way, I'm saying there are more types of genital mutilation than female genital mutilation. For that matter, more types of FGM, all of which are treated as something that should be stopped, as they should be. But it takes nothing to not use the qualifier, and broaden the objective to eliminate all genital mutilation. Instead it's an implicit approval of routine cutting of the genitalia of any children not recognized as female.
All lives matter!

FTFY

2397, is the degree of risk and harm in any way relevant to discussions of risks and harms? You appear to be saying that we should restrict discussion to the class of behaviour without any consideration of the nature of the consequences. By that logic I think I can argue fairly persuasively that your disagreeing with me is the same as murder (and other conclusions that you can invent when dividing by zero).
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain