Author Topic: "Carbon fee and nuclear power: The Batman and Robin of fighting climate change"  (Read 258 times)

Offline hardindr

• Off to a Start
"Carbon fee and nuclear power: The Batman and Robin of fighting climate change"

Presentation by Ethan Bodnaruk

Sponsored by CNY Skeptics

Time: Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 7:00 PM, EDT

Where: Manlius Library, One Arkie Albanese Ave, Manlius, NY, 13104, USA

Event is Free and Open to the Public

Light refreshments will be served

Please contact 1-315-636-6533 or email info@cnyskeptics.org for more information

Presentation Summary:

We are in danger of missing a crucial window of action to limit the negative effects of climate change.  Although renewable energy is a “superhero” as well, it can steal the spotlight from two other necessary and underrepresented solutions: a carbon free and nuclear power.  We’ll dive into the facts and numbers on these solutions, why they are needed, and how we can advocate for the bipartisan (!) Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act of 2019 (HR 763) which was introduced in the House of Representatives in January. 

Presenter Bio:

Ethan Bodnaruk is a wastewater engineer with Master's degrees in nuclear engineering and ecological engineering.  He is an active member of Citizens' Climate Lobby, a non-partisan organization whose aim is to build the political will for Congress to pass a revenue neutral carbon fee to mitigate climate change.  He is an advocate for open and transparent public discussion of science, policy, and current events.  He considers himself a Christian Atheist and is working on a book about the synthesis of science and spirituality for the 21st century.  He (unfortunatley only rarely) blogs at www.ethanbodnaruk.com.

About CNY Skeptics:

Central New York Skeptics (CNY Skeptics) is a community organization dedicated to the promotion of science and reason, the investigation of paranormal and fringe-science claims, and the improvement of standards for science education and critical-thinking skills.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Didn't we have this thread title once a long time ago?

Why should a carbon fee be revenue neutral? Oil subsidies are not revenue neutral. Corn and meat subsidies are not revenue neutral. I say we eliminate all subsidies for industries that damage the environment and tax the hell out of carbon and use the revenue to support R&D for zero-carbon energy. (And pass a living wage law so that nobody is poor enough that the tax denies them a decent lifestyle!)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Instituting a carbon fee/tax or what not will emmediately make Nuclear more competitive. 

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Instituting a carbon fee/tax or what not will emmediately make Nuclear more competitive. 

It will make all carbon-free systems more competitive. It will even make lower-carbon fossil fuels, such as natural gas, more competitive than higher-carbon fuels, such as coal. And it will incentivize carbon capture, though personally I am skeptical that that could ever be economically practical.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude

It will make all carbon-free systems more competitive. It will even make lower-carbon fossil fuels, such as natural gas, more competitive than higher-carbon fuels, such as coal. And it will incentivize carbon capture, though personally I am skeptical that that could ever be economically practical.
That last bit depends on how the fee is applied, it would at least require some sort of kick back for carbon sequestration.  Just applying a tax to carbon emmisions would not really incentivize sequestration.  Well, maybe I'm wrong about that.  I suppose if you are really invested in coal it might incentivize capturing your own carbon emmisions and storing them some how.  Like, you I doubt that would be pursued much. If the fees collect were then allocated to funding carbon sequestration, that might make some schemes economic. 

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
Could have a 1:1 tax on emissions and payment for carbon removed from the atmosphere through sequestration, but then you have to charge for any of that sequestered carbon that's released later on. So if you can store 100% as much carbon as you release (e.g. because you're using it to produce fuel), you effectively don't pay carbon tax, but you don't get subsidies, either.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Removing carbon from the atmosphere is a losing proposition: You'll never remove enough to make a difference at a cost anybody could afford. I was talking about a coal-fired power plant capturing its own carbon rather than releasing it into the atmosphere. Even that probably wouldn't be economical, but a plant that did that would pay less tax than one that did not. Therefore there's some (perhaps small) incentive.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
I.e. you'd never be able to capture enough carbon to make a profit from a process that gets most of its energy from releasing carbon, if the carbon was priced appropriately.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
I.e. you'd never be able to capture enough carbon to make a profit from a process that gets most of its energy from releasing carbon, if the carbon was priced appropriately.

^ This!
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain