Author Topic: Regulatory Capture? Or proper science? EPA pesticides.  (Read 82 times)

Offline Smooth

• Not Enough Spare Time
Regulatory Capture? Or proper science? EPA pesticides.
« on: July 19, 2019, 08:33:15 AM »
As a side note, did you know the elite class in China does not share the same food supply as common China citizens? In the past I would more or less trust the EPA. These days, sociopaths are running the show.  What do you think?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/18/climate/epa-chlorpyrifos-pesticide-ban.html

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Regulatory Capture? Or proper science? EPA pesticides.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 10:39:27 AM »
From the article:

It was the administration’s second major move this year to roll back or eliminate chemical safety rules. In April, the agency disregarded the advice of its own experts when officials issued a rule that restricted but did not ban asbestos, a known carcinogen. Agency scientists and lawyers had urged the E.P.A. to ban asbestos outright, as do most other industrialized nations.

Emphasis mine.

The baboon does not believe in science. This is just one more instance of how fucked we are because the Electoral College put the candidate who lost the election into the White House.

As far as your China comment I call BS, except insofar as in every country the rich can afford more and better food than the poor.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 10:44:49 AM »
Also from the article:

Under Mr. Pruitt, the agency proposed a rule saying it could not consider scientific research unless the raw data behind it was made public, saying the issue was a matter of transparency. Scientists argued that studies measuring human exposure to pesticides and other chemicals often rely on confidential health information and argued the E.P.A.’s real motivation was to restrict the ability to develop regulations.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Smooth

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 10:55:38 AM »
I had a feeling we were being screwed again.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 06:06:31 PM »
I had a feeling we were being screwed again.

You are. For every cabinet post that loses its chief executive to scandal, there are several industry lobbyists ready to take their place.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 09:27:43 PM by lonely moa »
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 08:17:18 PM »
In the United States, Ronald Reagan invented a new concept which several other Republican presidents have since adopted: That is, to appoint to high cabinet positions individuals who are politically and philosophically opposed to the statutory purpose and mission of the agency they will head. Thus, with a mere nomination, effectively vetoing the legislation that created the post.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain