Author Topic: Apollo 11 in Real time +50 years  (Read 269 times)

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Apollo 11 in Real time +50 years
« on: July 19, 2019, 08:45:34 AM »
https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/
They are on the way to the moon nearing orbit.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Apollo 11 in Real time +50 years
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 11:50:44 AM »
That is awesome.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Igor SMC

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 12:16:16 PM »
Very interesting indeed!

What do you guys think is the best documentary about the Apollo 11 Mission? And the best movie?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 05:23:47 PM »
"From the Earth to the Moon" is the most epic.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline syameese

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 06:30:37 PM »

What do you guys think is the best documentary about the Apollo 11 Mission? And the best movie?

Movie/dramatisation about the whole Apollo program:  From the Earth to the Moon

Best Apollo 11 documentary I think is "Apollo 11" which I saw this week in Canberra.  Well worth the 2 hour drive up from the coast :)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »
It may be a comedy, and play a bit fast and loose with facts, but "The Dish" would have to be up there for one of the best movies about the Apollo 11 mission. If not the best, it was the most fun.  8)

I may be biased because it is an Aussie film  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dish

"From Earth to the Moon" is the best documentary I've seen. I'm still waiting for the latest Apollo 11 movies and documentaries to be released on a format I can buy or watch.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 07:35:39 PM »
It may be a comedy, and play a bit fast and loose with facts, but "The Dish" would have to be up there for one of the best movies about the Apollo 11 mission. If not the best, it was the most fun.  8)

"From Earth to the Moon" is the best documentary I've seen. I'm still waiting for the latest Apollo 11 movies and documentaries to be released on a format I can buy or watch.

Whatever you do, don’t buy ‘First Man.’  I thought it was a real stinker, very boring, and didn’t end soon enough.  Although, I might be wrong.  It did get critical acclaim.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Awatsjr

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 09:12:56 PM »
Neil Armstrong had more personally than First Man portrayed.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 12:41:33 AM »

Whatever you do, don’t buy ‘First Man.’  I thought it was a real stinker, very boring, and didn’t end soon enough.  Although, I might be wrong.  It did get critical acclaim.

That one I will, probably, wait until it's on Netflix or Stan (if it's not already). Apollo 11 is a definite buy though

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 01:17:28 AM »
Saw Apollo 11 in the theater.  It was good (and the visuals were fantastic), but it fell kind of flat for me.  I’d hoped to be blown away.  8/10
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Igor SMC

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 04:19:50 PM »
In real time: The Eagle has Landed.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 05:06:14 PM »
In real time: The Eagle has Landed.

Little 7 yo me was sitting in front of the TV exactly 50 years ago. I saw the landing before I went to school and watched the first moon walk at school (around lunch time)

I'm only one small step,  ;) (about 10 metres away), from the exact spot I was 50 years ago. I live next door to my childhood home  8)

personate-rain