Author Topic: Wine snobs are fun  (Read 975 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Wine snobs are fun
« on: July 19, 2019, 03:21:06 PM »
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/has-wine-gone-bad?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Short version, there is a "natural wine" movement that conventional wine snobs think is a BS excuse to sell bad wine, that may also reveal what a sham wine snobbery is. 

But among wine critics, there is a deep suspicion that the natural wine movement is intent on tearing down the norms and hierarchies that they have dedicated their lives to upholding. The haziness of what actually counts as natural wine is particularly maddening to such traditionalists. “There is no legal definition of natural wine,” Michel Bettane, one of France’s most influential wine critics, told me. “It exists because it proclaims itself so. It is a fantasy of marginal producers.” Robert Parker, perhaps the world’s most powerful wine critic, has called natural wine an “undefined scam”.

I'm sort of on the side of the traditional wine snobs but rating wine and terroir is also kind of BS to.  More importantly its a fight that does not matter in the least. 

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Wine snobs are fun
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 03:33:58 PM »
Okay, this --
According to this view, natural wine is a cult intent on rolling back progress in favour of wine best suited to the tastes of Roman peasants.
-- makes me want to find some.  Immediately.

... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 03:47:19 PM »

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 08:41:18 PM »
It's true that, in the U.S. at least, "natural" has no legal definition and can be pasted onto anything. But as for wine, I've read that if you pay more than $15 for a bottle of it you're just paying for the right to brag that you pay a lot for your wine. Wine snobs were quite embarrassed back in the day when none of them could tell the difference between fancy French wines and the then-new California wines in blinded taste tests.

FWIW, when I drank, I thought any wine of a type was as good as any other wine of the same type. I'd have distinguished six types: Red, Rose, and white, and then for each, dry or sweet.

I still like the taste of rose, but I've never found a decent non-alcoholic wine the way there are some quite nice non-alcoholic beers. In Spain I tried to find a non-alcoholic wine but all I ever found was mosta. That's the grape juice from which wine is made. I do like grape juice.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Awatsjr

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 09:10:22 PM »
Crude oil is natural.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 12:04:21 AM »
Crude oil is natural.

So is cobra venom. And that little tree frog the size of your thumb nail in Columbia, that is so toxic that merely touching it will kill an adult human.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Awatsjr

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 10:41:16 AM »
Crude oil is natural.

So is cobra venom. And that little tree frog the size of your thumb nail in Columbia, that is so toxic that merely touching it will kill an adult human.

So it’s a natural death!

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 03:06:01 PM »
The connoisseur culture that cracks me up the most is the high-end vodka enthusiasts.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 10:54:51 PM »
The connoisseur culture that cracks me up the most is the high-end vodka enthusiasts.
There's an amusing planet money episode about it.  Lots of high end vodka is just watered down versions of a nearly pure ethanol sold as a commodity. 

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 11:05:09 PM »
I have a hard time wrapping my head around premium vodka.  There's like a spectrum of 'clean' where at the mid-range, it tastes about as clean as vodka's ever going to.  Then it's all identical. 

(Sometimes they cheat with a hint of vanilla.)
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Awatsjr

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 09:36:57 AM »
A lot of vodka is just mass produced ethanol diluted with local water. Buy a barrel of ethanol, mix in water, come up with a cool name and sell it. Vodka! The water has more influence than anything else unless the ethanol isn’t pure to start with.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 09:29:23 AM »
I have a hard time wrapping my head around premium vodka.  There's like a spectrum of 'clean' where at the mid-range, it tastes about as clean as vodka's ever going to.  Then it's all identical. 

Sounds like you've wrapped your head around it just fine. 

You know what I love, folks that demand top shelf vodka for mixed drinks.  Top shelf anything for mixed but vodka especially. 

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 02:12:42 PM »
I recall one of those BBC or PBS "reality shows" where they have people spend time living in some historical Edwardian Manor house.
Back then, the program noted, when you wanted to impress your guests, you served German (white) wine. French wine would have been considered fairly ordinary.

I think part of the wine connoisseur culture was possibly once valid--there were probably much larger differences between a good wine and the cheap stuff.
But as time went on, the mysteries revolving around making a successful wine are largely solved.

I suspect that if you were to take a bottle of $10 blended wine in a time machine and serve it to a group of wine lovers from the early 1800s, they would be very, very pleased by it.
That is not to say that wines from a specific grape and region will have good years and bad years, and that a very good one from a specific are/grape just might have some unique character.
That said, that is why blends can be excellent and very, very consistent.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 02:15:04 PM »
This would be a good case for double blind randomized taste tests

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 05:59:45 PM »
There's like a spectrum of 'clean' where at the mid-range, it tastes about as clean as vodka's ever going to.  Then it's all identical. 

A lot of vodka is just mass produced ethanol diluted with local water. Buy a barrel of ethanol, mix in water, come up with a cool name and sell it. Vodka! The water has more influence than anything else unless the ethanol isn’t pure to start with.

Sometimes they even filter it through diamonds!

personate-rain