Author Topic: Wine snobs are fun  (Read 732 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Wine snobs are fun
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 07:23:49 PM »
There's like a spectrum of 'clean' where at the mid-range, it tastes about as clean as vodka's ever going to.  Then it's all identical. 

(Sometimes they cheat with a hint of vanilla.)

A lot of vodka is just mass produced ethanol diluted with local water. Buy a barrel of ethanol, mix in water, come up with a cool name and sell it. Vodka! The water has more influence than anything else unless the ethanol isn’t pure to start with.

Sometimes they even filter it through diamonds!

What the F is that supposed to accomplish? Diamonds are relatively inert. So they're not "filtering" the vodka over diamonds, they're just pouring it over them. But they do have very special bottles, no two of which are exactly alike. So there's that.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 07:33:45 PM »
Do you expect scientific accuracy from a vanity project of Dan Ackroyd?

The guy's nuttier than squirrel turds.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 07:36:43 PM »
How about a vodka Brian Blessed has shouted at?
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 08:54:32 PM »
Hey, I've got a great idea for a booze company: Get a fire-and-brimestone preacher to damn barrels of bourbon before bottling it and sell it as bourbon damned by a preacher. Atheists could serve it to their religious friends, with the bottle prominently displayed on the table.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 04:30:49 AM »
I am quite pleased to be a "wine snob", or whatever.  My picks are within my price range and I really enjoy them with other people. 

And as or single malts, I think there is a reasonable cohort of enthusiasts in this forum.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 05:41:44 AM »
I know enough about wine, beer and booze to appreciate the stuff I like. Some of it is pricey, some isn't. Good taste needn't carry a prohibitive label.

Either way, there's no good reason to be a snob about it, and every reason to have a laugh at the snobbish charlatans.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 05:43:50 AM by John Albert »

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 07:41:49 AM »
Haven't had wine a while, but when I do, it's usually the cheapest stuff at the store. I often go for Cabernet, because it has the highest alcohol content (typically 13-14%). All of the cheap wine in the US comes from California. You get used to the dry taste, but I do like a white or sweet red as well...

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »
Years ago, especially in the '90s, my wife and I would go visit various wineries in the Hudson Valley and North fork of Long Island. The ones on LI were pretty well respected, but the striking thing about the owners and workers at the vineyard is how UNpretentious they were.
They were proud of their product, but were almost always telling people to follow their taste buds. Drink what they like. If they like pairing reds with poultry, so be it.
It seemed like they yearned to have the same causal but vibrant vibe that the microbrewing world was enjoying back then (who knew THAT would lead to such goofiness today?).

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 11:28:01 AM »
My wife used to get brutal migraines from wine. Then on a trip to Sicily, she threw caution to the wind, had several glasses, and felt fine the next day. Since then, she tries to avoid California wines. Her favorite is a nero d'avola from Vallelunga Pratameno, Sicily called Regaleali. You can usually get it for less than $15 a bottle here in the US. She suspects it might be the nitrites that are the problem. I don't care. I like Regaleali. :-)

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 11:36:52 AM »
If they like pairing reds with poultry, so be it.

Obviously, pairing color of wine to color of meat is about visual psychology, not taste.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 11:38:50 AM »
My wife used to get brutal migraines from wine. Then on a trip to Sicily, she threw caution to the wind, had several glasses, and felt fine the next day. Since then, she tries to avoid California wines. Her favorite is a nero d'avola from Vallelunga Pratameno, Sicily called Regaleali. You can usually get it for less than $15 a bottle here in the US. She suspects it might be the nitrites that are the problem. I don't care. I like Regaleali. :-)

My wife also gets migranes and blames the nitrates.
It is a shame as I like wine every now and then.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 11:41:22 AM »
If they like pairing reds with poultry, so be it.

Obviously, pairing color of wine to color of meat is about visual psychology, not taste.

Most likely true.
I like to cook with wine on occasion, and the color of the wine, of course, plays a role in how appetizing it looks.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »

Do you mean sulfites, that's the usually bogeyman in wine, also largely BS.

@gebobs, I'd love to see a plausible explanation for why CA wines might cause migraines but Italian wines don't.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 01:47:09 PM »
I keep reading the thread title as "Why snobs are fun" with a moment of accompanying confusigation.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2019, 02:25:50 PM »

Do you mean sulfites, that's the usually bogeyman in wine, also largely BS.

Possibly. 90% of why I wrote nitrates was due to in being in the post I was responding to.

As for what does and doesn't contribute to migraines it is difficult to parse the divide between chicken salad and chicken shit.

personate-rain