Author Topic: Wine snobs are fun  (Read 993 times)

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
Re: Wine snobs are fun
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2019, 04:43:05 PM »
Do you mean sulfites, that's the usually bogeyman in wine, also largely BS.

Ah, yes, that's what she said.

@gebobs, I'd love to see a plausible explanation for why CA wines might cause migraines but Italian wines don't.

Well, she's Italian. Maybe it's in her blood. ;-) In the end, I have no idea. Maybe she's more careful to drink water now. Maybe the volcanic soil?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:55:46 PM by gebobs »

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2019, 05:04:31 PM »
My wife used to get brutal migraines from wine. Then on a trip to Sicily, she threw caution to the wind, had several glasses, and felt fine the next day. Since then, she tries to avoid California wines. Her favorite is a nero d'avola from Vallelunga Pratameno, Sicily called Regaleali. You can usually get it for less than $15 a bottle here in the US. She suspects it might be the nitrites that are the problem. I don't care. I like Regaleali. :-)

My wife also gets migranes and blames the nitrates.
It is a shame as I like wine every now and then.
Do you mean sulfites, that's the usually bogeyman in wine, also largely BS.

Possibly. 90% of why I wrote nitrates was due to in being in the post I was responding to.

As for what does and doesn't contribute to migraines it is difficult to parse the divide between chicken salad and chicken shit.

When I was a drinker, red wine always gave me a headache. I didn't get migraines but I did get pretty bad headaches. FWIW, I only ever drank cheap stuff. Beer, gin, brandy, bourbon or scotch, rose or white wine. Except for the occasional hangover, none of those gave me a headache, but red wine always did. I have no theories as to the cause. But it never failed.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2019, 05:22:06 PM »
When I was a drinker, red wine always gave me a headache. I didn't get migraines but I did get pretty bad headaches. FWIW, I only ever drank cheap stuff. Beer, gin, brandy, bourbon or scotch, rose or white wine. Except for the occasional hangover, none of those gave me a headache, but red wine always did. I have no theories as to the cause. But it never failed.

Could be the tannins, I think.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2019, 06:33:05 PM »
I have a friend whose face flushes bright red in response to sulfite-containing wine.  She does not have the response to other types of alcohol, so it’s unlikely to be a alcohol flush reaction.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2019, 09:40:44 AM »
I have a friend whose face flushes bright red in response to sulfite-containing wine.  She does not have the response to other types of alcohol, so it’s unlikely to be a alcohol flush reaction.
That could just be an allergy which is a thing, the migraine connection seems.....improbable from what I've red. 

Easy way to check, does it happen when she eats dried fruit.   Dried fruit has way more* slufites than wine.  Also cheese but cheese only has a little bit more in the way of sulfites than when. 

*concentration of course, its probably easier to drink more wine that dried fruit or cheese but the dried fruit is orders of magnitudes more concentrated so, shouldn't need quantities.

Sulfites in wine are a lot like gluten, some people really do have issues mostly its just correlation without causation though. 

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 09:44:57 AM by Ah.hell »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2019, 02:15:44 PM »
I'm not sure she'd be interested in turning herself into a guinea pig for our amusement, nor would I really be comfortable asking her. "Hey, you know that thing we talked about briefly 10 years ago? Well, a guy I know online questions whether it's real, so I want you to..."
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2019, 05:10:28 PM »
I'm not sure she'd be interested in turning herself into a guinea pig for our amusement, nor would I really be comfortable asking her. "Hey, you know that thing we talked about briefly 10 years ago? Well, a guy I know online questions whether it's real, so I want you to..."

Be sure to let her know result won't be valid unless both she and whomever is giving her the food items are blinded to what is being ingested.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2019, 07:04:12 PM »
She’s a Ph.D. biologist. I wouldn’t presume to lecture her on the scientific method.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2019, 08:14:56 PM »
She’s a Ph.D. biologist. I wouldn’t presume to lecture her on the scientific method.

All the more reason.  Be sure to talk over her objections that she's an expert.

Now you're mansplainin' like a pro!!

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2019, 09:24:41 AM »
To be fair, it was just a tongue in cheek suggestion to point out that she's like most such people who are mostly wrong about the source of their ailment.  I apologize for my skepticism.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2019, 03:58:20 PM »
It wouldn't be the first time a medical expert (male, female or nonbinary) has ever been wrong about a self-diagnosis. 

Whether to try and persuade somebody to examine their own beliefs is a highly personal decision. Among other things, it ought to consider how the individual is likely to react. Do you feel it's better to avoid an uncomfortable subject rather than be the one to challenge them on their belief?  If your questioning will only make them feel angry or hurt, then maybe you're not the right person to broach the subject. 

Another aspect: this is a question of health, and like most health decisions a risk versus benefit analysis should be made. Is there any potential harm in letting them just go on believing the ailment is caused by the sulfites? 

personate-rain