Author Topic: Got my recombinant Zoster shot today  (Read 148 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Got my recombinant Zoster shot today
« on: July 20, 2019, 12:12:42 AM »
Hurray for recombinant DNA and genetically modified everything! I got the old vaccine a few years ago but it's not as effective. So today I got the recombinant Zoster vaccine. It was a little more painful than a flu shot. My arm is a little sore at the injection site and they told me the arm will get pretty painful. They also told me there's a 60% chance I'll get headaches, fever, muscle aches, and fatigue, probably later this evening, and it's okay to take OTC pain relief. My mother got shingles and it was pretty awful, so I'm glad to endure a bit of unpleasantness to have more protection than the older vaccine gives.

Of course I hope I get nothing worse than a little soreness at the injection site so I don't have to miss several days of paddling. They told me I can paddle if I feel well enough that I think I can.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Got my recombinant Zoster shot today
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 12:18:30 AM »
Hurray for recombinant DNA and genetically modified everything! I got the old vaccine a few years ago but it's not as effective. So today I got the recombinant Zoster vaccine. It was a little more painful than a flu shot. My arm is a little sore at the injection site and they told me the arm will get pretty painful. They also told me there's a 60% chance I'll get headaches, fever, muscle aches, and fatigue, probably later this evening, and it's okay to take OTC pain relief. My mother got shingles and it was pretty awful, so I'm glad to endure a bit of unpleasantness to have more protection than the older vaccine gives.

Of course I hope I get nothing worse than a little soreness at the injection site so I don't have to miss several days of paddling. They told me I can paddle if I feel well enough that I think I can.

Congratulations.  I don’t think I need the recombinant Zoster vaccine (although I might be wrong).  I had shingles around 15 years ago (and became very popular at the Red Cross with my herpes zoster antibodies being harvested every two weeks for almost 2 years).  My virologist told me I’m extremely unlikely to have a second episode of shingles unless I live to a very old age.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »

Congratulations.  I don’t think I need the recombinant Zoster vaccine (although I might be wrong).  I had shingles around 15 years ago (and became very popular at the Red Cross with my herpes zoster antibodies being harvested every two weeks for almost 2 years).  My virologist told me I’m extremely unlikely to have a second episode of shingles unless I live to a very old age.

I was under the impression that if you've ever had zoster or chicken pox you have the virus forever and an outbreak is always possible. However, your virologist knows your particular situation and I know pretty much nothing except that my mother said that getting shingles was horrid, and she mostly never complained about anything.

This morning I have a little soreness in my arm at the injection site and some soreness in my shoulders, though that last could be from paddling. I woke up with a very low-grade headache, and was a bit sluggish and was able to sleep an hour longer than normal. So as of about 20 hours after the shot I have a very mild case of the side effects they told me to expect. Well worth it to me to gain added protection from shingles.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »

I was under the impression that if you've ever had zoster or chicken pox you have the virus forever and an outbreak is always possible. However, your virologist knows your particular situation and I know pretty much nothing except that my mother said that getting shingles was horrid, and she mostly never complained about anything.

This morning I have a little soreness in my arm at the injection site and some soreness in my shoulders, though that last could be from paddling. I woke up with a very low-grade headache, and was a bit sluggish and was able to sleep an hour longer than normal. So as of about 20 hours after the shot I have a very mild case of the side effects they told me to expect. Well worth it to me to gain added protection from shingles.

I had a very mild attack.  Just the rash, no pruritus, no pain.  Possibly because I diagnosed it myself within hours of it starting and going on the antivirals the same day (some people doubt whether it is effective, but I had so few symptoms I think they must have worked).

I went at least 45 years before the herpes zoster recurred, so if it’s another 45 years I’ll be 100.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 12:46:32 PM »
My father and grandfather, on the other hand, each had shingles repeatedly at much shorter intervals. I worked with a man in his 60’s who had it twice in 10 years. My understanding is that it varies greatly from person to person, and can also be influenced by stress and re-exposure.

I’ll be getting my shingles vaccine as soon as I am eligible. My dad was a stoic, but I remember him weeping over the pain of his shingles.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 05:29:12 PM »
My father and grandfather, on the other hand, each had shingles repeatedly at much shorter intervals. I worked with a man in his 60’s who had it twice in 10 years. My understanding is that it varies greatly from person to person, and can also be influenced by stress and re-exposure.

I’ll be getting my shingles vaccine as soon as I am eligible. My dad was a stoic, but I remember him weeping over the pain of his shingles.

The Australian government provides it free for the senile seniors over 70, so I’ll wait till then:

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/resources/images/shingles-brochure.pdf

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 07:13:08 PM »

The Australian government provides it free for the senile seniors over 70, so I’ll wait till then:

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/resources/images/shingles-brochure.pdf

The brochure says only a single dose is needed, so I wonder if that's the older vaccine or the newer Shingrix vaccine, because I was told I need a booster in a couple of months. My insurance pays for it. (Of course, I pay a bundle for my insurance!)
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck