Author Topic: Episode #732  (Read 1589 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Episode #732
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 09:16:11 PM »
I guess George's lack of experience with beer showed there. No two beers are alike, even without considering the differences between lager, ale, pilsner and stout.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 10:53:20 PM »
Yeah, he should be at least done two lagers.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 07:11:20 AM »
I guess George's lack of experience with beer showed there. No two beers are alike, even without considering the differences between lager, ale, pilsner and stout.

That, and I can't imagine anyone mistaking Bud Light for beer.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 08:21:57 AM »
Why three samples of two products, instead of three of three? Or four samples of two products, to avoid adding one more bias.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 03:40:49 PM »
I know it makes me unusual but I would never be able to differentiate any of the lagers I drink regularly if they were in unmarked glasses.
I just dont pay that much attention when I drink them.
Im reasonably good with spirits.

Offline alfaniner

• Off to a Start
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 04:40:06 PM »
Agree with previous poster -- that taste test was stunningly boring for a (radio) podcast.  A pour-by-pour description of what you were doing would have helped a lot.  I'm sure for your live audience it was fascinating. 

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 05:00:08 PM »
I know it makes me unusual but I would never be able to differentiate any of the lagers I drink regularly if they were in unmarked glasses.
I just dont pay that much attention when I drink them.
Im reasonably good with spirits.

But that’s not what was happening in the actual test; he put a cheap-ass American lager up against a hoppy ale. The bitterness of the latter would be unmistakable.

I would not be at all surprised if a taste test between two lagers had different results.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2019, 07:03:08 PM »
I gotta admit, I fast-forwarded through the taste test. It's one of the only times in the entire SGU history I have skipped a segment.

I'm curious, though, did the issue of statistical power come up? Even if someone got the the diet/sugar test right four out of four times, it would sill not hit the p=0.05 significance level. Essentially, no matter how well the rogues did, they would be condemned to shrugging off the results as being compatible with randomness.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2019, 07:17:53 PM »
I gotta admit, I fast-forwarded through the taste test. It's one of the only times in the entire SGU history I have skipped a segment.

I'm curious, though, did the issue of statistical power come up? Even if someone got the the diet/sugar test right four out of four times, it would sill not hit the p=0.05 significance level. Essentially, no matter how well the rogues did, they would be condemned to shrugging off the results as being compatible with randomness.

I think part of George's schtick is inventing games. I presume the taste test was intended as a fun game, not as a real experiment. I just thought it was poorly designed and dull.

For it to have been an experiment it would have had to be double-blinded, not just single. George and the rogues are very aware of this. Thus they intended it as a game.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2019, 07:26:39 PM »

I think part of George's schtick is inventing games. I presume the taste test was intended as a fun game, not as a real experiment. I just thought it was poorly designed and dull.

For it to have been an experiment it would have had to be double-blinded, not just single. George and the rogues are very aware of this. Thus they intended it as a game.

Yes, you are definitely right-- it's just a fun game, not a rigorous test.
I just noted (before I stopped listening) that Steve remarked a couple times that the performances where indistinguishable from randomness, and I wanted to chime in that even a perfect performance would be statistically consistent with randomness (at least using the canonical p=0.05 threshold).

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2019, 09:24:55 PM »
Geo talks about it on his own show. Yes, he's aware that it was nowhere near statistically significant. Yes, he designed it as a fun and interesting game rather than a rigorous scientific test. He might do it again, with a few more samples, maybe even as a video.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2019, 10:28:37 PM »
I don’t think that I could tell one beer from another, except with the exception of Guiness, because it’s black in colour (are there any other black beers)?

The last beer I had was Guinness.  I read somewhere that the bubbles in a glass of Guiness sink rather than rising, so I bought a 6-pack to test it.

The result?  I can’t remember.  But I do remember that it tasted like beer.

The reason why the bubbles in Guiness sink instead of rising has to do with the shape of the glass apparently, wider at the top than the bottom.  Most of the bubbles are actually rising dragging a little beer along with them as a result of surface tension, causing an excess of beer at the top of the glass which then flows sideways and sinks to the bottom, creating a current forcing the bubbles on the outside of the glass (which are the only ones you can see)to be carried along and sink too.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2019, 11:05:44 PM »
Guinness is an example of a stout. And yes, there are other stouts, and they are black. And they don't taste anything like a lager, ale or pilsner. So when you said that your Guinness "tasted like beer", no it didn't.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 01:03:51 AM »
Guinness is an example of a stout. And yes, there are other stouts, and they are black. And they don't taste anything like a lager, ale or pilsner. So when you said that your Guinness "tasted like beer", no it didn't.

To me, it tasted like beer.  I’m not a beer connoisseur.  I’d drink perhaps half a glass once a year to be sociable.  More than that, and I’m almost intoxicated.  And I can’t tell  the difference between white wine and red wine either.  I can’t taste any grapes in them, let alone citrus, berries, etc wine connoisseurs appear to be able to detect.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2019, 01:07:06 AM »

To me, it tasted like beer.  I’m not a beer connoisseur.  I’d drink perhaps half a glass once a year to be sociable.  More than that, and I’m almost intoxicated.  And I can’t tell  the difference between white wine and red wine either.  I can’t taste any grapes in them, let alone citrus, berries, etc wine connoisseurs appear to be able to detect.

You don't need to be a connoisseur to taste the difference between a lager and a stout. They're as different as chalk and the smell of your grandmother's kitchen. It's only through a technicality of their production process that they're both referred to as "beer".