Author Topic: Episode #732  (Read 1315 times)

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #732
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2019, 12:45:17 PM »
I wonder what the hypothesis concerning beers would be?  That beer experts are highly successful in identifying the identity of beers double-blinded?  Or compared to completely uninterested novices who have beer no more than once a year (like me) do much better?  If it’s the second hypothesis, I know what the answer would be.

I think in many respects, someone being able to identify the specific brand while blindfolded would prove to be difficult.

But I would argue that if you had the three glasses, and Bud Light and, say a Guinness Draught were poured, just about anyone with taste buds would be able to discern which two were the same. The flavors are quite different.

People with a familiarity with beer styles would do a decent job of broadly identifying a style.
Some are quite distinctive if you are familiar with them - No one would mistake an English bitter for an American IPA hop bomb, or a Pilsner from a porter.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2019, 12:48:34 PM »

To be fair, there are some fairly rare black lagers and black ales. But yeah - the VAST majority of black beer will be a stout.

yes. And for more beer pedantry, stout IS ale!

Things get crazy when people, even brewers, try to differentiate between porter and stout.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2019, 01:30:13 PM »
For it to have been an experiment it would have had to be double-blinded, not just single. George and the rogues are very aware of this. Thus they intended it as a game.

There‘s nothing in the definition of experiment that would make blinding a requirement.

True, but in this case, where I think the results would be especially vulnerable to bias, double blinding would be nice.

True, but what has that got to do with whether blinding is required by the definition of experiment.

I believe you’re the only one talking about the definition of the word.

No. See the comment I was responding to in my first post.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2019, 02:51:46 PM »

To be fair, there are some fairly rare black lagers and black ales. But yeah - the VAST majority of black beer will be a stout.

Things get crazy when people, even brewers, try to differentiate between porter and stout.

At one point I was going to jump in with pedantry over porters being a black beer while not being a stout. Then I got sucked down a rabbit hole about the difference or lack thereof, and decided "eh...better not"
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2019, 02:55:37 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Ok.

I think the more interesting question is how to do an experimental taste test to make the results scientifically valid.

How would you handle it?
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2019, 03:16:39 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Ok.

I think the more interesting question is how to do an experimental taste test to make the results scientifically valid.

How would you handle it?

What would the aim of the study be?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2019, 05:42:53 PM »

At one point I was going to jump in with pedantry over porters being a black beer while not being a stout. Then I got sucked down a rabbit hole about the difference or lack thereof, and decided "eh...better not"
Yeah, the history is fairly interesting, and how brewing words evolve--especially when they cross language barriers things get out of whack fast.

I have a friend from Germany who has a very different understanding of "lager" and "pilsner" than I have. When he heard me say "pilsner is a type of lager" he was absolutely perplexed at the concept.
And historically in English the word "beer" used to specifically mean a beer flavored with hops. Where if it was flavored with something more traditional (prior to 12th century or so) it was "ale".
Hops was, in the whole scheme of things, a relatively new thing and since it came from German speaking countries, it was designated with the german word (bier).