Author Topic: Is there life on mars? Who is watching the Watchman? (HBO spoiler discussion)  (Read 312 times)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Now that the new trailer is out I decided to set this up now. This looks so exciting.

release date is October

^fixed
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:06:26 PM by Captain Video »
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
What's your source for that release date? Every entertainment news site I read lists sometime in October (presumably the first Sunday)...as does the trailer itself.

I wonder if this will air the same time as His Dark Materials or at least be some overlap. It'll save me a little money as I only subscribe to HBO for specific shows (GOT and WESTWORLD but I'm done with WW after that awful season two) and then drop it. There's nothing else on HBO that interests me until Joss Wedons new series The Nevers but that just started filming. Well and John Oliver but I can watch that on Youtube.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
No howling about "not canon"? Looks like an interesting watch.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
The trailer says "October" at the end. Looks like it continues the story from the graphic novel without altering that history. Seems like a good approach to take.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
The trailer says "October" at the end. Looks like it continues the story from the graphic novel without altering that history. Seems like a good approach to take.
Didn't know enough to spot that.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
I dont know where I saw that date, I changed it to October

https://www.hbo.com/hbo-news/watchmen-casting-all-you-need-to-know

What about the music? Nine Inch Nails musicians Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (who first worked together as film composers on The Social Network) will be creating the original music for the series.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
without knowing exactly what is going on in the plot yet I have to ask

Should cops be permitted to mask themselves?

I actually witnessed this during a club bust in the late 80s, its scary.  Undercover is one thing but I dont think they should have been included in the actual arrest, I dont know if they had to show faces during any court hearings.

edit: I should note that these were not protective masks and looked more like ninja hoods or ski masks.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:20:17 PM by Captain Video »

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

No howling about "not canon"? Looks like an interesting watch.

My biggest concern is that it's from Damon fraking Lindelof. After the terrible ending of Lost, the dumbing down of Star Trek 2009 , the idiotic Prometheus, and the utter butchering of World War Z, his name on a project does not inspire me with confidence. But a sequel to WATCHMEN could be interesting, I have no problem with that concept.  I'll give it a shot for an episode or two, at least.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

History is definitely changed. Look at that flag draped on the coffin.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
Alternate timeline lets you make Tricky Dick get re-elected.  ???

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
As long as it is better than the totally-missed-the-point Snyder movie, I am game.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
I will watch it eventually but I just cant muster the interest.
It was a great graphic novel and really needed at the time, but its been done to death by so many imitators that I dont think there is space for an expansion by writers other than Moore.
But maybe it will be good.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.

History is definitely changed. Look at that flag draped on the coffin.

I meant the in-universe events from the comics are unchanged, and form the history for the show. It is not our history, of course.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
As long as it is better than the totally-missed-the-point Snyder movie, I am game.
Given that I'll never read the hardcopy can you tell me what the point actually was? Spoilered if you wish>

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside

personate-rain