Author Topic: Is it a conspiracy theory that Bush/Blair lied about WMDs in Iraq?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Is it a conspiracy theory that Bush/Blair lied about WMDs in Iraq?
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2019, 10:30:43 AM »
No, but did they not also lie to congress to get the war approved?
If not that then they are still war criminals for invading a sovereign nation without due cause.

AFAIK, war was never declared; Congress simply approved a boatload of military spending for the Occupation.
My understanding is that like pretty much all military action by the US in the last 20 years, it was conducted under the umbrella of the "authorization for use of force" passed after 9/11.  The propaganda campaign was mostly to get the US public and some allies on board with the invasion.

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2019, 11:47:53 AM »
No, but did they not also lie to congress to get the war approved?
If not that then they are still war criminals for invading a sovereign nation without due cause.

AFAIK, war was never declared; Congress simply approved a boatload of military spending for the Occupation.

I believe that the last time the US declared war was in 1942.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2019, 12:01:42 PM »
It seems to very much depend upon whom you ask:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_the_Iraq_War

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2019, 01:07:38 PM »
In the larger sense, there was a conspiracy to get us to war with Iraq, and they lied (directly, and by omission) or criminally failed to check their biases when they get info they wanted.  And while it may be technically correct that B/B themselves did not lie, it is not at all unfair to lay the lies their administration told at their feet.  So at a base level it is a conspiracy, and it is not 100% proven, but people rightly theorize some conclusions that say, yes, B/B lied, or at least fired everyone who wanted to tell the truth.  So, at a very base level - yes it is a conspiracy theory (lower case), and probably true.

HOWEVER the words Conspiracy Theory (Upper Case) are freighted with the assumption that the coverup remains obscured to the populace at large, and that it has true believers who are in on the secret, and outsiders who think the insiders are loons.  In that sense, it is not a Conspiracy Theory.

Does that answer your question?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2019, 03:58:36 PM »
In the larger sense, there was a conspiracy to get us to war with Iraq, and they lied (directly, and by omission) or criminally failed to check their biases when they get info they wanted.  And while it may be technically correct that B/B themselves did not lie, it is not at all unfair to lay the lies their administration told at their feet.  So at a base level it is a conspiracy, and it is not 100% proven, but people rightly theorize some conclusions that say, yes, B/B lied, or at least fired everyone who wanted to tell the truth.  So, at a very base level - yes it is a conspiracy theory (lower case), and probably true.

HOWEVER the words Conspiracy Theory (Upper Case) are freighted with the assumption that the coverup remains obscured to the populace at large, and that it has true believers who are in on the secret, and outsiders who think the insiders are loons.  In that sense, it is not a Conspiracy Theory.

Does that answer your question?

If that is the case, then that would mean that the SGU are wrong to putting them on par with antivaxxers, Moon-landing hoaxers, believers in alien visitations, and JFK conspiracy theorists. They don't say explicitly "these are equal", but they are all listed together in a list of conspiracy theories, which to me suggests that they imply that they are equal. Directly after the list, they write: "There seems to be a 4-5 percent floor for any conspiracy, no matter how bizarre. Those are the hard-core conspiracy theorists.". Again, by my impression, that is putting them on more or less equal footing.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2019, 04:38:15 PM »
WHy are you asking me to stump for someone else's assertions.  Go ask them.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

personate-rain