Author Topic: The Home Theater Thread  (Read 193 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
The Home Theater Thread
« on: July 25, 2019, 04:24:31 PM »
This is a thread for discussing home theater, TV's, projectors, media players, sound systems, etc.  Brag about your latest home theater toys, ask for help with problem, share deals and tips.  The sky's the limit!
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: The Home Theater Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 04:34:50 PM »
I do not really have a home theater, but we just bought a new TV for our basement family room.  Our previous TV was a 32" 1080P 60Hz Samsung with no smart features.  The new one is a 50" 2160P Samsung with built in SMART functionality.

As always, the first thing I did was to turn off any motion enhancement, etc. I think I've got all such things turned off, but it's hard to tell.  As I understand it, the native refresh is 60Hz, which is what I wanted. It came way over-saturated and with the brightness much higher than was reasonable.  Blacks are just okay; but it is an LCD, so there are limits to what one can expect.

The SMART features work okay, but I prefer the interface on the Apple TV (which is still on the other TV).  WiFi seems sketchy, which is strange because the signal is great there and I have no problem with any speed tests; but streaming quality varies in a way it just doesn't on my AppleTV or any other device.  Not sure what the issue is. Thankfully, it has an AppleTV app, so I can stream my small iTunes movie collection on it.  It also does DirectTV (though the app is in beta, and it shows), HBO Go, DisneyNow, etc.  The only thing it doesn't do that we had hoped for was NickJr.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 04:37:35 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 05:04:35 PM »
In Spokane I had a projector and a decent sound system. My new house in Maui came furnished and with a big-screen smart TV. That actually works better here as I have so much natural light that it would be difficult to darken any room during the day enough for the projector.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 08:38:10 PM »
I have a TV. It's not huge, but it's sufficient.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 06:19:01 AM »
In the mancave I have a 65" 4K TV. It was my 2017 Xmas pressie.

I then picked up a Yamaha receiver from local Facebook buy/swap/sell for not much $ to do the audio via HDMI link and have an Apple TV (2018 Xmas pressie) and my Fetch TV boxes hooked up to it (the Fetch is connected via the local LAN to the other one in our home and they can share recordings). I can also plug my Macbook in as well for when there is a streaming services I can't get other ways (e.g. Fubo, which I used to watch the Giro d'Italia this year).

I repurposed my old Tannoy speakers from way back when I bought my first proper hifi system in the 1980s. They'd been boxed for the previous 25 years. Works well and all done without spending much money.

While I have a slave router in the mancave providing a replicated wifi service to that in my home, I have the devices all connected directly with ethernet cable to the slave router - I find the direct connection via ethernet to work a bit better.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 09:44:18 AM »
I would add that I find the fact that I can buy a top-brand 50" 4K TV for $329 quite astounding.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 10:39:46 AM »
I have been looking at sound bars as an option to improve the audio on our 42" 1080 TV. Our living room has very limited options for where the furniture and TV can go, so I'm stuck with a relatively small screen. We have a lot of traffic noise on our street though, so the output of the TV's speakers is not sufficient. Unfortunately, sound bars that are have any decent wattage start at hundreds of dollars.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain
personate-rain