Author Topic: Episode #733  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Zec

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #733
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2019, 12:16:22 PM »
Science Or Fiction:
I was surprised of the result having seen this really cool experiment, I was sure Evan was right for the wrong reason and chimps have better working memory than humans:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:09:45 PM by Zec »

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2019, 04:59:27 PM »
I cannot watch shows with canned laughter. I find it annoying and offensive.

The mind boggles that Seinfeld used canned laughter. They certainly didn't need to but it was de rigueur back then, right?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2019, 05:19:55 PM »

The mind boggles that Seinfeld used canned laughter. They certainly didn't need to but it was de rigueur back then, right?

I watched about 5 minutes of one Seinfeld once. I could not endure it. I did think the guy with the wild hair was good.

Cheers had a live studio audience. That was barely tolerable. If it hadn't been for Shelly Long that show, too, would be unwatchable. She was brilliant.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2019, 07:33:13 PM »

I watched about 5 minutes of one Seinfeld once. I could not endure it. I did think the guy with the wild hair was good.

Cheers had a live studio audience. That was barely tolerable. If it hadn't been for Shelly Long that show, too, would be unwatchable. She was brilliant.

Most of Seinfeld was taped before an audience, just like Cheers. Only the scenes on the street or in places where they couldn't have a live audience did they use canned laughter exclusively.

But "Seinfeld," "Cheers" and just about all shows taped before studio audiences augment the audience's laughter with recorded laughter. (Often they used laughter recorded during the shooting of the episode.).

The best fake laughter was in "I Love Lucy" when Ricky was off state you could distincly hear him laughing during Lucy's scenes.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2019, 08:23:55 PM »
The best fake laughter was in "I Love Lucy" when Ricky was off state you could distincly hear him laughing during Lucy's scenes.

Totally off topic, but I gained tremendous respect for Lucille Ball when I learned that she was summoned to appear before HUAC and refused to name names. That took courage. I always thought of her as a twit for the low-brow and demeaning comedy, but this completely changed my mind about her.

I still think the show was stupid.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline wilko

• Brand New
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2019, 08:36:46 PM »
"The bottom line is that Hawaiians should be able to decide what happens to their land, full stop."

Allow me to fix this statement for you:
The bottom line is that ALL Hawaiians (NOT JUST NATIVES) should be able to decide what happens to their land, full stop.

This way it sounds much more inclusive.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2019, 08:47:32 PM »
"The bottom line is that Hawaiians should be able to decide what happens to their land, full stop."

The bottom line is that ALL Hawaiians (NOT JUST NATIVES) should be able to decide what happens to their land, full stop.

Once upon a time there was a smokin' chunk of a'a 2,500 miles from anywhere. There were people living on it. We decided we wanted it so we took it. We were stronger than them and might makes right. But we're such nice guys that once enough of us got here that we were a significant majority, we let the original people have the vote also. Just as long as there're not enough of them for their vote to make a difference. [End sarcasm]

The more I learn about the telescope controversy the more I realize it's not even about indigenous people and "sacred" places. It's about irresponsible management doing significant damage to the environment. It's about broken promises to respect the land.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2019, 08:55:37 PM »
If you're interested, there's a great episode of the podcast 99% Invisible on The Laff Box. I'm pretty sure that when Jay said that he knew a bit of the history behind laugh tracks, he was referring to this episode. The episode goes into the history of the box, some details about how it was operated (almost like a musical instrument!) and when and how its use fell out of favour.

It's also a great podcast and you should add it to your regular rotation.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2019, 09:05:15 PM »
As for the first woman in space dying on reentry, I thought the rogues missed a teachable moment when Jay said he read something on the internet that sounded real. They glossed over that and that’s the number one way (IMO) that false crap gets spread. A staunch skeptic got suckered AND passed it on to a wider audience!  And he spent more time defending himself than admitting he screwed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2019, 01:04:57 AM »

It doesn't quite work like that with invaders.

The only way to right the historical wrong that was the American coup and annexation is to give back at least some sovereignty back to the people whose land was stolen and whose culture is being eliminated. No-one is asking to kick all the colonisers out, but at least have some respect and grant ownership of the most important locations. It is common decency.

Offline lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2019, 06:08:14 AM »
A small tangent. We have been talking about white Americans vs native Hawaiians but both are minority groups on the islands. From a quick bout of reading depending on how you define native hawaiians make up between 6% and 30%. Caucasian Americans another 30%. The bulk of the rest are Japanese or Filipino in decent.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2019, 06:13:57 AM »
Right. But the issue is not about who is in the majority. The issue is about power being taken from people to control sites that are of historic and cultural significance to them.

If someone had deemed the Louvre or St Peters Basilica as the best spot for this telescope, we would not even be entertaining it so really its about people having the power to resist or not.
I also suspect that if native Hawaiians had been treated more fairly in the past, they might be more well disposed to suggestions such as this.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »

The only way to right the historical wrong that was the American coup and annexation is to give back at least some sovereignty back to the people whose land was stolen and whose culture is being eliminated. No-one is asking to kick all the colonisers out, but at least have some respect and grant ownership of the most important locations. It is common decency.
Rightly or wrongly it doesn’t work like that either.

The native Hawaiians have not been isolated but are fully intermixed on the Island and the mainland. They have interbred with the “invaders” to such an extent that it’s difficult to determine who should be included as a native and excluded. There would have to be some arbitrary condition set, like a percentage of native DNA.

The people the land was taken from are all dead now. Their descendants have dispersed and interbred and many are also descendants of those who took the land.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »

Rightly or wrongly it doesn’t work like that either.

The native Hawaiians have not been isolated but are fully intermixed on the Island and the mainland. They have interbred with the “invaders” to such an extent that it’s difficult to determine who should be included as a native and excluded. There would have to be some arbitrary condition set, like a percentage of native DNA.

The people the land was taken from are all dead now. Their descendants have dispersed and interbred and many are also descendants of those who took the land.

And? All social groups are arbitrary. There are native Hawaiians who consider themselves native Hawaiians even if they are not 100% genetically pure (as if that thing existed within humans) and they should have sovereignty over their lands, full stop.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »
I was surprised of the result having seen this really cool experiment, I was sure Evan was right for the wrong reason and chimps have better working memory than humans

I remember, a number of years on the show, they brought up a similar study, except it was regarding thinking speed. (IIRC, how fast working memory can be accessed.) The idea being that the human brain is complicated enough that its higher-lever thinking is slower compared to other higher apes, implying some kind of neurological trade-off.

personate-rain