Author Topic: Pew Survey - Jews and Atheists know more about religion  (Read 294 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Pew Survey - Jews and Atheists know more about religion
« on: July 29, 2019, 05:58:11 PM »
I thought this was pretty interesting. I took the short form of the survey and scored 100% myself.
Jews and Atheists scored the highest in the religious survey. Atheists also scored just behind evangelicals as far as knowledge of the bible.
Another interesting thing is that every religious group, except evangelicals themselves, had colder feelings towards evangelicals if they were more knowledgeable as far as religions.
Some of the items which people don't know such as how many Catholics think that Transubstantiation is not literal.
The population in general also tends to vastly overestimate the number of followers of Islam in the country.

https://www.pewforum.org/2019/07/23/what-americans-know-about-religion/
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Re: Pew Survey - Jews and Atheists know more about religion
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 10:05:57 AM »
I am not entirely surprised that atheists had a pretty strong knowledge of religion, not because of being smart or anything, but that a substantial number of atheists were raised within a religion--often a fairly strict one. Many of them, before becoming atheists spent time exploring other faiths.

I am slightly surprised in regard to Jews and religious knowledge, not because of a lack of scholarship among Jews or anything (far from it), but in my experience, a large majority of Jews are decidedly secular and most of the Jews I have known are for the most part, not religious at all--and not all that curious either. The ones who were curious were more drawn to more "exotic" things. A good number of secular Jews can and will identify as both jews and as atheists (when their grandfather cannot hear them).

The religious Jews on the other hand, have very deep knowledge of Judaism, but knowledge of other faiths was largely limited to what makes them "incorrect". No small part of a jewish education is to be armed with knowledge to fight off attempts to be converted. Perhaps this is the reason for the strong knowledge of religion.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 10:56:31 AM »
I wonder if Judaism has an advantage in the quiz since Judaism has overlap with Islam and Christianity. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 12:58:34 PM »
I think marginalised groups always have more pressure to learn about the majority in society than vice versa?

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »
The Transubstantiation one is a little interesting because I have to think that during Catechism that is taught fairly directly before first communion. Well teens are teems, most are there because they are made to be there and spend most of their time flirting and messing around. Nothing wrong with that.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 02:01:43 PM »
Some of the items which people don't know such as how many Catholics think that Transubstantiation is not literal.

But what does it mean to take it literally? Do they think that Jesus was literally a giant wine-soaked cracker, or that it would be possible to extract Jesus' DNA from their feces after they've consumed his flesh?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 02:21:21 PM »
I am not Catholic. . . I am just repeating the official party line
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 02:23:24 PM »
I am not Catholic. . . I am just repeating the official party line

Exactly, the survey question is about the official Catholic dogma of the Eucharist.

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 04:08:43 PM »

But what does it mean to take it literally? Do they think that Jesus was literally a giant wine-soaked cracker, or that it would be possible to extract Jesus' DNA from their feces after they've consumed his flesh?

They believe that it is a literal transformation but in the old philosophy of essences and accidents. The essence of the bread and wine change but the accidents do not. Hence if you tested DNA you would not find Christ because the accidents would still be that of bread. Even though the qualities of the breadness remain the substance of what the bread actually is has changed.

Before you go off on me about this theory, I am just regurgitating it not condoning it.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »
So it's like homeopathy. Jesus is being diluted into nothingness in the digestive tracts of an indefinite number of Catholics throughout time. And then he cures what he (God) causes.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 05:26:21 PM »
I know many devout catholics. None of them believe in trans-substantiation.
As a kid, more than one priest told me it was just a metaphor.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 06:31:46 PM »
I thought this was pretty interesting. I took the short form of the survey and scored 100% myself.
Jews and Atheists scored the highest in the religious survey. Atheists also scored just behind evangelicals as far as knowledge of the bible.
Another interesting thing is that every religious group, except evangelicals themselves, had colder feelings towards evangelicals if they were more knowledgeable as far as religions.
The population in general also tends to vastly overestimate the number of followers of Islam in the country.

https://www.pewforum.org/2019/07/23/what-americans-know-about-religion/

I also got 15/15 correct, but I was guessing on some of the questions, so it really doesn’t mean much.

Reminds me of the time I was required to take an online course on recognition of child abuse designed for medical practitioners, which I thought was a waste of time since 1.  I was soon to retire from working, and 2.  I don’t deal with live patients in my field of practice, so I set out to get all the questions in the follow up quiz wrong.  I was very upset to get 30/31 questions wrong.  I still can’t understand how I managed to get one of the questions correct by accident.

I got a very nice printed certificate documenting that I’d finished the course though.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 06:41:30 PM »
Damn, 14 our of 15, I missed the "Which of the following is one of Buddhism’s four “noble truths”?" one.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 07:46:44 PM »
Damn, 14 our of 15, I missed the "Which of the following is one of Buddhism’s four “noble truths”?" one.

That’s one of the questions I had to guess, so don’t feel too bad about it.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 09:52:56 PM »
I got the one about salvation wrong. I thought Protestants believed salvation was only possible by Grace alone.

But that did remind me of something I've looked for on occasion: Does anyone know of a history  book that deals with a connection between the development of mechanical printing in the 15th century and the subsequent influence of that new technology on the rise of schisms in Christianity in the 16th century?

personate-rain