Author Topic: Pew Survey - Jews and Atheists know more about religion  (Read 421 times)

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Pew Survey - Jews and Atheists know more about religion
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 10:28:08 PM »
I got the one about salvation wrong. I thought Protestants believed salvation was only possible by Grace alone.

But that did remind me of something I've looked for on occasion: Does anyone know of a history  book that deals with a connection between the development of mechanical printing in the 15th century and the subsequent influence of that new technology on the rise of schisms in Christianity in the 16th century?

One of the features that distinguished early Protestants from Catholics at the time was that the Protestants believed that anyone can read scripture and understand it for themselves, whereas the then Catholics believed that it was necessary for priests to do the interpretation.

So the Protestants encouraged publication of the Bible in translation (which required the printing press), whereas the Catholics regarded it as anathema to be violently suppressed.

I don’t think that there was a direct connection.  I think the schism and the reformation were more due to the corruption within the Catholic Church with such practices as the selling of dispensations to pay for the move of the Pope back to Rome after being forced to shift to Avignon by the French.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 11:40:00 PM »
Damn, 14 our of 15, I missed the "Which of the following is one of Buddhism’s four “noble truths”?" one.

My results exactly.  I thought about answering "not sure" but what kind of candy-ass would say that instead of taking a guess?  I think this quiz was barely more than click bait.  I'd like to think of one myself with better questions, phrased more precisely, that atheists would score the highest on.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 10:50:07 PM »
Unsurprising results. Many atheists became atheist through learning about their religion. Many were forced to learn about it to fight apologetics and family. Jews, even secular ones, frequently get sent to religious day-school to supplement their education. (plus there's the IQ bell curve effect to consider.)

I wonder if Judaism has an advantage in the quiz since Judaism has overlap with Islam and Christianity. 

You would think the advantage would go the other way as Christianity and Islam incorporate the Jewish Bible but not the other way around.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:52:44 PM by SnarlPatrick »
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 10:57:00 PM »
There seem to be more than 15 questions. I'd would have guessed on the Vedas and on Esther.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.