Author Topic: Episode #734  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode #734
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2019, 09:33:01 AM »
Can I ask a meta question?

If godhead had said, "Chinese Communists" instead of just "chinese" would it still be racist?

He said Chinese culture.
Well then, if he had said, "Chinese Communist culture" instead? 

There does seem to be significant cultural differences between Taiwan, Hong Kong and the PRC.

If one is clear that they are just talking about the Chinese commies is it just as racist?

If he was talking about a POLITICAL party, then maybe not, but it really depends a LOT on context.  As an example, Trump sometimes talks about 'immigrants' but based on all context, we know what he means.

Also, godhead could easily have come back when called on the bigotry and said 'Oh wow, I'm so sorry, I really meant Mao's Chinese communist party, I'm sorry, I have nothing against the Chinese people and I can see how my comment could be viewed as bigotry.  My beef is with the Chinese communist PARTY, not the Chinese people'

Maybe he will do that.  Maybe he'll come back and read the excuse you made up for him and go 'Ah hah, that'll get me outta trouble.  What Ah.hell said'

Context from godhead's other posts kinda gives the store away though.
#non-belief denialist

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2019, 06:45:06 PM »
Can I ask a meta question?

If godhead had said, "Chinese Communists" instead of just "chinese" would it still be racist?

He said Chinese culture.
Well then, if he had said, "Chinese Communist culture" instead? 

There does seem to be significant cultural differences between Taiwan, Hong Kong and the PRC.

If one is clear that they are just talking about the Chinese commies is it just as racist?
I would say no, it wouldnt be racist.
But thats not what they said and they were quite emphatic.
I will not be giving the benefit of the doubt.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2019, 03:12:58 AM »
As someone that has had acupuncture, you really can't have a blinded study.  The needles hurt.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2019, 05:45:32 AM »
As someone that has had acupuncture, you really can't have a blinded study.  The needles hurt.

If you had never had blinded acupuncture or sham acupuncture before, how would you know which is which?

e.g., hurting someone does not require the insertion of a needle. One could reasonably replicate the level of "hurt".

The problem is the person doing the "treatment" isn't blinded.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2019, 06:10:48 AM »
I cant think of a way to double blind such a study but I think thats ok as long as we are following the tightest protocol possible.
And yeah, placebo needles are a thing and patients cant tell the difference. I would assume having patients who never had acupuncture before would be a requirement.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »
Well, the first thing you would do is test your sham acupuncture, blunt or electrified needles that feel real. You would do a study, and show that people can't tell the difference. At this point though, you are using the Bayesian inference that acupuncture doesn't have any effect other than psychosomatic.

Also: sounds like GodHead has a cultural supremacy thing going on. On some level, all cultures are based on the same lies, deceptions, and illusions. The Chinese (that are educated enough to read foreign news) probably think Americans that believe in class mobility are the exact same kind of human lemmings, and the de facto caste system that exists in the West is just as stupidly obvious.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2019, 02:50:54 PM »

If you had never had blinded acupuncture or sham acupuncture before, how would you know which is which?

e.g., hurting someone does not require the insertion of a needle. One could reasonably replicate the level of "hurt".

Acupuncture needles, whether or not they are effective at anything, actually feel quite differently from pressure, a hypodermic or a pinprick.  One could not mistake an electrical charged needle for a sham, BTW, especially if the physiological lets you adjust the current yourself.  It is pretty cool, really.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2019, 04:14:40 PM »

I agree, I was just curious. 

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2019, 04:20:26 PM »

I agree, I was just curious. 

As I said, not all bigotry is racist bigotry, and all bigotry is reprehensible, whether based on race or on other distinctions. It's nearly irrelevant whether race or some other consideration is the basis for the bigotry.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »

Acupuncture needles, whether or not they are effective at anything, actually feel quite differently from pressure, a hypodermic or a pinprick.  One could not mistake an electrical charged needle for a sham, BTW, especially if the physiological lets you adjust the current yourself.  It is pretty cool, really.

If you had not had acupuncture before, how can you possibly distinguish it from receiving sham acupuncture?

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2019, 06:25:25 PM »

If you had not had acupuncture before, how can you possibly distinguish it from receiving sham acupuncture?

If a person has had acupuncture before (perhaps a year previously), how accurately would the person remember the pain of the genuine acupuncture to compare it with the pain of the sham acupuncture?

I’ve never had acupuncture (and I never want it), but I have had injections, including dental anaesthetics and immunisations.  After a few days, I’ve completely forgotten how painful the injections were, and the next times come as a surprise.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2019, 08:56:20 PM »
I'm all for ramping up asteroid detection, but we already have a guaranteed planetary-scale destruction event heading our way with climate change. With how little we're doing about it, I'm not convinced that we'd actually get together to divert an asteroid even if we had plenty of warning and knew exactly what we needed to do.

When they make a global warming movie with Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton and Ben Affleck (or their younger, current replacements) then maybe people will be interested.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2019, 09:01:30 PM »
A "city-killer" asteroid would kill a city only if it happened to hit a city, which is an unlikely occurrence even for an asteroid that hit the Earth. The ratio of city area to the total area of the Earth is very small. Jay's typical hyperbolic rant about how horrible it would be for an asteroid to hit the Earth assumed that it would hit a city.

An asteroid would be more likely to hit in the ocean and a city-killer in the middle of the pacific would kill a lot of people.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2019, 10:06:36 PM »
A "city-killer" asteroid would kill a city only if it happened to hit a city, which is an unlikely occurrence even for an asteroid that hit the Earth. The ratio of city area to the total area of the Earth is very small. Jay's typical hyperbolic rant about how horrible it would be for an asteroid to hit the Earth assumed that it would hit a city.

An asteroid would be more likely to hit in the ocean and a city-killer in the middle of the pacific would kill a lot of people.

That's what I thought as well, but maybe not:

https://www.space.com/36451-asteroids-bad-at-making-waves.html

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2019, 10:08:06 PM »

Hopefully the tsunami warning system would prevent a lot of people being killed if a city-killer dropped in the middle of the Pacific:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunami_warning_system
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

personate-rain