Author Topic: Episode #734  (Read 1901 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Episode #734
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2019, 08:25:55 PM »
I've had acupuncture. It didn't hurt.

I had a moment when Steve started talking about angina. I didn't recognise the word at first. I may have been misled, but I've absolutely always heard it with the stress on the second syllable and never the first. Yes, this means that it rhymes with "vagina". Anyone else?

I've never heard it the way Steve pronounced it before either. But he is a medical man, so I assume that's the way they say it down his way.

Presumably a pronunciation used to avoid confusion in a medical setting.

I don't really think the two words are all that close in pronunciation. "Hand" and "stand" rhyme as much as "angina" and "vagina".
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2019, 09:15:09 PM »
In Canada at least they rhyme perfectly.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2019, 10:21:39 PM »

Sure, but that doesn't mean you'd confuse one for another if you heard them spoken aloud. Lots of words rhyme, and aren't ambiguous.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2019, 12:41:42 AM »

Sure, but that doesn't mean you'd confuse one for another if you heard them spoken aloud. Lots of words rhyme, and aren't ambiguous.

Nobody is saying that angina can be confused for vagina.  They are saying that the two words, in their experience, rhyme (that is, the letters GINA are pronounced the same way in each word).  That is not the case in Steve's pronunciation.

Are you saying that the letters -AND in stand and hand are not pronounced the same?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2019, 01:07:14 AM »

Nobody is saying that angina can be confused for vagina.  They are saying that the two words, in their experience, rhyme (that is, the letters GINA are pronounced the same way in each word).  That is not the case in Steve's pronunciation.

Are you saying that the letters -AND in stand and hand are not pronounced the same?

No, I'm saying that they are, and despite that fact they're not difficult to confuse with each other, especially taken in context. 2397 suggested that the change in pronunciation was to avoid confusion in a medical setting. I was replying that I didn't think that was likely.

Americans can, on occasion, be reluctant to pronounce certain words considered dirty or rude and have come up with several creative euphemisms to avoid using those words. Is it possible that in some parts of America, the pronunciation has morphed specifically so as not to even sound like vagina?

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2019, 05:03:13 AM »
I thought I had heard something about it before. Turns out it's this classic bit. Episode #382, 0:30:26 (copied from sgutranscripts)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2019, 05:15:00 AM »

Except in bad grandpa jokes  ;)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2019, 11:35:01 AM »
The medical community does not change the pronunciation of words to avoid rhyming with words used for genitalia.

They left junior high long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2019, 12:19:00 PM »
The medical community does not change the pronunciation of words to avoid rhyming with words used for genitalia.

As I understand it, they changed ECG to EKG to avoid confusion with the similar-sounding EEG.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2019, 12:48:51 PM »
As the medical community uses words for genitalia in their work, it wouldn't be unwise to change the pronunciation of words that rhyme with genitalia in order to avoid confusion. 

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2019, 02:02:54 PM »
Imagine the shock some of us would get to be diagnosed with 'vagina' when we went in for chest pains.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2019, 08:22:52 PM »
Imagine the shock some of us would get to be diagnosed with 'vagina' when we went in for chest pains.

That's why I said it would be especially difficult to confuse in context.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2019, 08:25:10 PM »

I wasn't referring to the medical community particularly. I was referring to Americans in general. After all, I believe the word "hoo-ha" originated in America, as a means of avoiding saying a word that was considered dirty. Though I admit, etymonline.com does not list it, so I can't be sure about that.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2019, 10:45:37 PM »

I wasn't referring to the medical community particularly. I was referring to Americans in general. After all, I believe the word "hoo-ha" originated in America, as a means of avoiding saying a word that was considered dirty. Though I admit, etymonline.com does not list it, so I can't be sure about that.
Americans have many words to express many dirty things without feeling too dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2019, 10:46:32 PM »

Americans have many words to express many dirty things without feeling too dirty.

As does everyone. There are a few that are... uniquely American, though.

personate-rain