Author Topic: Expatriation  (Read 1050 times)

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Expatriation
« on: August 04, 2019, 12:49:11 PM »
Have any of you ever relocated from your home country to another, on a permanent or semi-permanent basis?

What country did you come from, and where did you move to?

Where do you live now?

Please describe the process. What were the hardest challenges? What did you find most rewarding?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Expatriation
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 06:12:47 PM »
Not sure if this counts, since I never intended to stay away, but I moved to Mexico and then Spain to study Spanish. After 6 years away I returned to North Dakota. Now I live in Maui.

When I first went to Mexico it was in an exchange program, and the university arranged for us to get student visas. Later, when I was no longer in a school and just studying on my own, I had to switch from a student visa to what Mexico calls a rentista visa. That's for foreigners who have an income from outside of Mexico, and does not permit work. I had to leave Mexico, turn in my student visa on the way out, and then return and apply for the rentista visa, and I had to renew the visa every six months, at a fee of $100 US.

Spain was easier. I got a tourist visa and when it expired I stayed there illegally. When I returned home, I flew out of Amsterdam, where nobody cared that my visa had expired. And because of the passport union, there was no check of my visa when I left Spain.

Challenges were that people are usually late for everything in Mexico, and will accept an invitation but not show up. Challenges in Spain were that at that time (circa 2000) people smoked everywhere. And that I could not find an apartment in Madrid, where I wanted to live because of the beautiful Spanish spoken there. Instead I lived in Seville, which is a beautiful city, but the spoken Spanish is ugly and nearly unintelligible.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 06:40:26 AM »
I moved from Hungary to Kenya about a month ago.

I was quite fed up back home, so a completely new place was a breath of fresh air. I am still working on finding my footing, including getting settled into a permanent accomodation. Building up new social networks is probably the biggest challenge, along with the related separation from friends and family.

But otherwise, it is pretty great. Nairobi is a fantastic city in every possible way and the locals are great as well. It is also nice to be far away from the raging shitstorm that is the current atmosphere of Europe.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 02:10:43 PM »

I was quite fed up back home, so a completely new place was a breath of fresh air. I am still working on finding my footing, including getting settled into a permanent accomodation. Building up new social networks is probably the biggest challenge, along with the related separation from friends and family.

But otherwise, it is pretty great. Nairobi is a fantastic city in every possible way and the locals are great as well. It is also nice to be far away from the raging shitstorm that is the current atmosphere of Europe.

I visited Kenya about 20 years ago. During my two overnights in Nairobi (one on arrival and another on departure) I was warned not to leave the hotel due to the extremely high incidence of muggings. The game parks were absolutely amazing.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 02:24:45 PM »

I visited Kenya about 20 years ago. During my two overnights in Nairobi (one on arrival and another on departure) I was warned not to leave the hotel due to the extremely high incidence of muggings. The game parks were absolutely amazing.

Security has become a LOT better since then. It is still not a good idea to walk alone at night, but you can keep yourself safe with some common sense. In any way, you can always get some more cash and a new phone.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 02:49:22 PM »
I certainly don't want to live in a place where I can't walk around at night for fear of being robbed.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 03:03:15 PM »
I certainly don't want to live in a place where I can't walk around at night for fear of being robbed.
Yes, I also avoid the USA for that reason.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 04:42:24 PM »

I see what you did there!

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 06:07:25 PM »

What I'm unclear on is whether its a joke at the expense of the US or some one who thinks
It is still not a good idea to walk alone at night, but you can keep yourself safe with some common sense.
isn't good advice pretty much everywhere?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 06:09:35 PM by Ah.hell »

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 06:49:19 PM »

That rules out like every American city.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 06:51:16 PM »

What I'm unclear on is whether its a joke at the expense of the US or some one who thinks
It is still not a good idea to walk alone at night, but you can keep yourself safe with some common sense.
isn't good advice pretty much everywhere?

I've been to cities where it is safe to walk alone at night.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 07:05:15 PM »
My home town is often called the "murder capital of the US," and I walk alone at night all the time with no problems at all.

Last time I got mugged was in the early 1990s. They took me for $3 and half a pack of cigarettes.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 07:20:38 PM »
Crime in the US and crime elsewhere are two different things for me.

I would feel comfortable walking around the worst parts of town in 99% of US cities. Im not the type that gets mugged and I believe being comfortable with your surroundings is part of staying safe.

The second you put me somewhere dangerous in another country I bet I would become an open target. I have a lot of US street smarts but I cant believe that would help me in other cities like Kenya.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 07:32:09 PM »
There are places in the U.S. where I would not go at night. There are other places in the U.S. where I would feel perfectly safe. It's been a very long time since I lived anywhere that I did not feel safe. It helps that I don't like big cities.

It is entirely possible that my tour guides in Kenya were trying to scare me out of an over-abundance of caution. But I was told that the security guard at the hotel was in hospital as the result of a mugging across the street from the hotel. They told me to only travel by taxi, and never to hail a taxi on the street, but to only use a taxi the hotel called if I wanted to go to a restaurant, and then have the restaurant call me a taxi to return to the hotel.

It is easy to believe scary things about a strange city, and especially a city filled with extremely poor people who do not look like I do. So perhaps I was being insufficiently skeptical when I believed the people who told me how dangerous Nairobi was. And I might have been more inclined to believe the stories because I really dislike big cities. It is also a fact that every Kenyan I met was friendly and I never had a single unpleasant encounter while there. It was a wonderful place. I was living in Spain when I went there, and it's really only the distance that has prevented my going back after I returned to the U.S. And now it would be even farther.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 09:20:07 PM »
By the way, when I got "mugged" back in the early '90s, I was not physically hurt at all. A few young guys surrounded me and verbally threatened me. I knew there was no way I could take them in a fight, so I gave them all I had.

personate-rain