Author Topic: Expatriation  (Read 824 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Expatriation
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2019, 01:20:24 PM »
If 2020 doesn't herald in progress on UHC, I'm going to start visiting potential emigration targets.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2019, 02:14:10 PM »
There's a very very tiny chance I'd actually have the guts to leave but certainly 2016 was the first time in my life I really questioned if I should.  And if Trump wins in 2020 the chance will grow again. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2019, 02:56:14 PM »
I half-seriously looked into emigrating to New Zealand around November of 2016.

My profession is on the "skill shortage" list, and so I could apply for a work visa there, though following through on that is something I can't imagine actually doing, so that's about as far as I got.

We were disappointed here at the election of the Donald...  we have Jacinda.  You need Michelle.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2019, 04:40:58 PM »
I came close to emigrating to Canada circa 1966 or 7. If I had been drafted I'd have gone. I wasn't, so I didn't. When I discovered hiking up in British Columbia I considered moving there, but the hiking season is short and the winter is long and I don't like the cold. So I moved to Spokane instead. Now I'm in paradise, so I expect to stay in spite of the pustule in the White House. If I were going to leave the U.S. now, New Zealand would certainly be high on my list of places to choose.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2019, 05:13:44 PM »
I will say it is nice to live in a country that has enjoyed a female Prime Minister (thrice), has universal health care (with all the problems associated with that) and has had recently a respectfully comfortable buyback of all MSSA's (now illegal). 

Our pension is fairly similar to the US social security, actually a bit more than I would get from the US. One needs to have been resident in the country for some years (I can't remember how long) before collecting.

And, of course, we have superior beef and lamb, wine, dairy and coffee (only surpassed by Italy, IMHO). 

Mind you, the scenery is overrated... don't visit.

What was the original cause for your emigration to New Zealand? And which was your country of origin?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2019, 05:15:01 PM »
If 2020 doesn't herald in progress on UHC, I'm going to start visiting potential emigration targets.

I sincerely doubt any of the 2020 candidates winning would mean progress in that regard.
Unless there is an enormous (and highly unlikely) change in the Senate .

The best hope for 2020 is for someone to stop the bleeding.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2019, 06:27:50 PM »
Yes. As long as you are here with a work visa, social security would be collected. I'm pretty sure you'd get nothing back out of it when you returned to Sweden.

That's strange. If they don't pay it out to me in retirement if I leave, then at least they should pay that part out to me directly, in addition to the regular salary.

The super-rich don't live in places where there are social problems. Even the upper middle class for the most part live in places that are quite safe and peaceful. And as Amysrevenge pointed out, you don't need paid vacation when you are super-rich. Hell, I'm just pretty well off and I live in paradise in the U.S. (since the U.S. stole it from the original inhabitants).

Who are the ultra-rich? I thought they were people like CEOs or upper-level management for large corporations.

I do know that Sweden is not as cold as, say, North Dakota, where I lived for close on to three decades. But it's a lot colder than Maui. And your ocean temperature is a LOT colder than Maui. But I wasn't trying to talk you into coming to the U.S. As I said, the weather (in SOME parts of the U.S.) is the only thing that's better here than Sweden. I really like the weather where I am. And paddling in water so warm that if I don't get a chance to jump out and swim I'm disappointed.

Well, we are obviously not like Hawaii. As for sea, the Baltic Sea is a quite dirty sea. I would rather bath in some of our many lakes. They are bathing temperature roughly during July and August. So you are roughly correct.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2019, 08:54:00 PM »
Yes. As long as you are here with a work visa, social security would be collected. I'm pretty sure you'd get nothing back out of it when you returned to Sweden.

That's strange. If they don't pay it out to me in retirement if I leave, then at least they should pay that part out to me directly, in addition to the regular salary.

If you got a legitimate social security number then when you reach retirement age (or become disabled) you should be able to collect, from anywhere in the world, and if you die before that age, your spouse and children (under 21) should be able to collect.

The super-rich don't live in places where there are social problems. Even the upper middle class for the most part live in places that are quite safe and peaceful. And as Amysrevenge pointed out, you don't need paid vacation when you are super-rich. Hell, I'm just pretty well off and I live in paradise in the U.S. (since the U.S. stole it from the original inhabitants).

Who are the ultra-rich? I thought they were people like CEOs or upper-level management for large corporations.
Mostly and also successful investors, inventors or land owners lucky enough to have natural resources to exploit (gold; oil; etc.).

And even in places that are quite safe and peaceful there are social problems. Here most of the ultra-rich live in Orange County (Newport Beach; Emerald Bay; Beverly Hills; and a few other very posh neighborhoods) but they are not completely isolated.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2019, 09:40:50 PM »

I agree, they should. And honestly, I really don't know how it would work. I just don't think the U.S. government is going to pay out social security to a non-citizen who returns home.

I do know that Sweden is not as cold as, say, North Dakota, where I lived for close on to three decades. But it's a lot colder than Maui. And your ocean temperature is a LOT colder than Maui. But I wasn't trying to talk you into coming to the U.S. As I said, the weather (in SOME parts of the U.S.) is the only thing that's better here than Sweden. I really like the weather where I am. And paddling in water so warm that if I don't get a chance to jump out and swim I'm disappointed.

Well, we are obviously not like Hawaii. As for sea, the Baltic Sea is a quite dirty sea. I would rather bath in some of our many lakes. They are bathing temperature roughly during July and August. So you are roughly correct.

Where I used to hike in Canada, they considered their lakes to be bathing temperature in August. I considered them to be fucking freezing. I hate cold. I love jumping out of the canoe into the ocean here. And especially at this time of year.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 10:09:11 PM »

What was the original cause for your emigration to New Zealand? And which was your country of origin?
[/quote]

I was raised in the US.  Aotearoa was the last stop on a year long mountain journey.  I was offered a job... stumbled into emigration, really. 

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2019, 10:33:56 PM »
Nope. I love where I live and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

This despite the existence of Tony Abbott.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2019, 05:18:08 AM »

Abbott and those bloody drop bears.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2019, 08:24:17 PM »

Abbott and those bloody drop bears.

Yeah. I was killed by a drop bear once.

I got better.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2019, 06:17:36 AM »

What are your thoughts on the potential impacts of climate change on Australia?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2019, 08:59:14 PM »

What are your thoughts on the potential impacts of climate change on Australia?

Any thoughts I might have on that subject I will make in the appropriate thread.