Author Topic: Expatriation  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
Re: Expatriation
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2019, 03:02:48 AM »
Define "safe to walk alone at night". I'd assume that during nighttime, shit happens in Caracas as well as in Tokyo, though way more shit happens in the former compared to the latter (per capita). Still, shit could happen to you during nighttime in Tokyo, even though it's one of the safest cities in the world.

Where to you draw the line?

Japan is ridiculously safe.

Shops leave designer sunglasses without security tags on tables that any one could pick up, because stealing/shoplifting doesn't seem to be a concern.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2019, 03:19:16 AM »
I immigrated from Canada to het Nederlands and then to the UK.

I was going to travel in Europe and I was an illegal immigrant for almost three years, which isn't something I would recommend.

I am, and always have been a legal immigrant in the UK, I have 'Indefinite Leave to Remain', as does my New Zealand partner.

It hasn't always been easy or straight forward.

I have been able to get a UK passport and dual citizenship for some time now, but as a commonwealth citizen, I can vote in UK elections so it hasn't been a pressing issue.

Now, I keep finding better things to spend £ 2000 on, rather than the whole citizenship process, but the whole Brexit debaucle and anti-immigration sentiment is making me think about getting a British passport sooner rather than later.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2019, 12:08:00 PM »
I was going to travel in Europe and I was an illegal immigrant for almost three years, which isn't something I would recommend.

I was illegal in Spain for about half a year (overstayed my visa). I didn't drive a car and I look like the people there, so nobody ever asked to see my ID. I am sure that Spanish citizens of Moroccan descent are hassled in a way I never was.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain