Author Topic: Tool - Fear Inoculum drops August 30th  (Read 291 times)

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Tool - Fear Inoculum drops August 30th
« on: August 07, 2019, 05:58:12 PM »
This sums me up right now:

Tool's new album Fear Inoculum drops August 30th.

First single released:

Offline moj

• beer snob
Re: Tool - Fear Inoculum drops August 30th
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 07:57:57 AM »
For a long long time they where my favorite band. I still like them a lot and will get the new album. I can't remember the last album I purchased. Only one listen in of the first song and meh, it's ok. Sounds like it could have been on Lateralus. I'm actually reading now the book about Maynard a perfect union of contrary things. Its interesting but the author kind of sucks, very little humor and to much flattery in the beginning.

Online DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:17:02 AM »
I am VERY excited for this!

:woop:
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 11:14:07 AM »
I've played the first song through a couple of times now.  I really like it.

It does remind me of Lateralus but the soundscape is just different enough for me to be surprised at times.  Danny is a beast, as usual.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 11:23:21 AM »
Danny is a beast, as usual.

I was very fortunate during their last tour.  A good friend of mine works for the band when they tour and she arranged for me to go back stage after the show.  I got to meet Adam (very quickly) he had a sponsored event to go to.  And then spent a couple of hours hanging out with Justin and Danny. Two remarkably nice guys.  Were cool with my buddy and I being fanboys when we were 1st introduced (took a couple of pics with us).  Then we sat and had a few drinks with them (and 15 or so others in the room).   Very cool experience.

As a bass player, Justin is 1 of my icons.  At 1 point that night my buddy and I were sitting with Justin and their tour manager for about an hour just talking normal life stuff (what do we do for work, family stuff, Premier League Footy/Soccer, other music).

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 11:30:33 AM »
That's cool as fuck.

My son plays bass as well.  He tends to play more of a Claypool style most of the time.  He loves Justin though. 

I mostly notice the bass in Tool when I start getting hypnotized, like in The Pot or Fourty Six & 2.  I haven't played the new song through my headphones yet, but only through my computer and tablet speakers.  I could be losing a lot.  I need to play it through a few more dozen times  >:D
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 03:04:26 PM »
Good for them

https://www.spin.com/2019/08/tools-fear-inoculum-hot-100-billboard-record/

Last week, Tool released “Fear Inoculum,” their first new studio recording in 13 years. Because this is Tool we’re talking about, it’s a 10-minute-22-second prog-metal odyssey, with a long tabla-driven intro, sections of whispery spoken word, and multiple time signature changes. And because these are Tool fans we’re talking about, the foreboding length and structure of the new didn’t scare them away from listening a whole bunch; if anything, it probably helped. As a result, “Fear Inoculum” is now the longest song ever to crack the Billboard Hot 100, and the first 10-minute-plus track ever to do so.

The song debuted at No. 93 on this week’s chart, and at No. 20 on the Mainstream Rock chart. The previous record-holder for Hot 100 song duration was David Bowie’s “Black Star,” the 9:57-long title track of his 2016 swan song album, which reached No. 78 that year. It seems likely that “Fear Inoculum”‘s record (and probably “Black Star”‘s, too), has to do with Billboard’s use of streaming numbers in its tally, which gives fan-favorite songs a shot at the charts even if they aren’t being played on the radio or receiving much formal industry support.

Online superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 04:22:51 PM »
This sums me up right now:

Tool's new album Fear Inoculum drops August 30th.

First single released:

I am not the biggest tool fan, but they have never had a bad album.  Excited for this.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 10:09:44 AM »
Well, I bought it on release day and have yet to finish "really" listening to it.  I've played it through in the background, but have only really listened to about four tracks.

Honestly, I think Maynard sounds better than ever.  This album is great.

Looks like the Swifties on the internet disagree with me on this, but whatever.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 10:41:44 AM »
Sweet, a friend just picked up tickets to see them in Nov. I don't go to a lot of shows anymore but have seen tool a bunch and they are one of the few arena shows I think are still worth it. Now to listen the album more, only once all the way through. I like it, but parts definitely sound a little to much like other songs they have done. Not the whole song, but certain riffs or chord progressions are pretty close. I still like it but need to digest it more.

Online DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 10:56:56 AM »
I got tickets for the November 12 show here in Toronto. 

Very excited.  They always put on a solid show.

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
Cool, we will be at the Nov 25 show in DC.

Tool got the number 1 spot on billboard

https://www.spin.com/2019/09/maynard-james-keenan-thanos-meme/

personate-rain
personate-rain