Author Topic: The world's most admired men and women  (Read 625 times)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
Re: The world's most admired men and women
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 08:47:17 PM »
I'm pretty skeptical about this list.

Two soccer players (Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo) make the US list but not a single Football player (Tom Brady? Payton Manning?), Baseball player or Basketball player is on the US list.

Based on their methodology I am also skeptical that Indian actors and politicians, and other foreign politicians are even known to a significant number of Americans, much less most admired.

It wasn't an open choice. Every country had the same 20 men and 20 women to choose from based on world wide nominations

5 locally popular men & women were added to each individual country. (Clint Eastwood, The Rock, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders & Will Smith are apparently more popular than any US sportsman)

The 25 men and 25 women listed on the US list are the only names voters could choose from.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:49:56 PM by Tassie Dave »

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 09:26:16 PM »
Right. So when broken out by country  this is not a list of the most admired in the US or any country but maybe collectively in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 06:36:52 AM »
Oprah I dont agree with but can understand.

I will never understand what people admire about Oprah. She's just a daytime TV talk show host who pitches a lot of woo. For all the conspicuous optimism and altruism of her onscreen persona, her show often resorts to cheap sensationalism and exploitation.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 06:44:49 AM »

I will never understand what people admire about Oprah. She's just a daytime TV talk show host who pitches a lot of woo. For all the conspicuous optimism and altruism of her onscreen persona, her show often resorts to cheap sensationalism and exploitation.
Her life story and level of success are inspirational to millions and most people dont care about woo.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 01:38:49 PM »

She hasn't done a daytime talk show for years.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 02:48:36 PM »
Her life story and level of success are inspirational to millions and most people dont care about woo.

Lots of people come up from poverty and become rich. That alone doesn't warrant admiration in my opinion.

People have actually died as a direct result of the harmful bullshit that Oprah promotes.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:08:37 PM by John Albert »

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 02:49:39 PM »
Lots of people come up from poverty and become rich. That doesn't warrant admiration in my opinion.

People have actually died as a direct result of the harmful bullshit that Oprah promotes.
I agree with you. Im just saying I understand her presence on the list.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2019, 02:50:11 PM »
I still don't.

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2019, 03:04:25 PM »
meh, Its a list from a marketing firm, not something I'd really put a lot of stock in. No prizes are given for first.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2019, 07:43:23 AM »
She's alright, I guess. But what has she actually done that's so admirable?

I'm frankly disappointed that people like Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, Queen Elizabeth, Melania Trump, or Oprah even made the list at all.

Agreed. And why is Xi Jinping on that list? I don't think he is admirable at all.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2019, 09:20:30 AM »
Agreed. And why is Xi Jinping on that list? I don't think he is admirable at all.

"Captive" audience.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 08:22:38 PM »

I'm frankly disappointed that people like Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, Queen Elizabeth, Melania Trump, or Oprah even made the list at all.

I dont think so either but I understand that people are vulnerable to propaganda.
On its face, his story is an inspirational one

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 04:43:01 PM »

I dont think so either but I understand that people are vulnerable to propaganda.
On its face, his story is an inspirational one

In what way? If he was a democratic reformer, sure. But he is making China even more authoritarian.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

personate-rain