Author Topic: New listener SGU podcast episode suggestion  (Read 299 times)

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
New listener SGU podcast episode suggestion
« on: August 08, 2019, 10:46:46 AM »
I've been talking to my nephew about his masters degree program and other stuff, and he came strong to me as a strong critical thinker and Skeptic (without knowing that exists) just like I was at about his age. I talked to him about the SGU and he was really interested and even listened to the current episode (at the time). He liked it, but still wasn't too into it. He asked me if there was an episode I suggested, and I can't really think of any episode that I would recommend over others.

So I wanted to know what episode(s) would you recommend for my nephew. He is into researching Solar Cells in Sweden (Of all places, talk about lack of sun) and enjoys the inanity of pseudoscience. He likes general science stuff but more interested in energy topics. He'd really enjoy a good interview with a scientist or engineer. My preferences are with interviews with skeptics talking about the work they've done like Banachek or Sanal Edamaruku, which were interviews I really enjoyed, but I'm not to sure if he will at this point.

Any suggestions even if it's of multiple episodes, I might just show him the notes and have him pick among a few suggestions.   
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Awatsjr

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: New listener SGU podcast episode suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 06:32:57 PM »
It's one of those things where you need to start at the first episode and listen to them grow and mature. It's hard to pick specific shows unless it's strictly for a particular guest.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 11:39:30 PM »
The SGU episodes don't have specific topics. So, while going back to the beginning might be a bit extreme, I agree with Awatsjr that he should just listen to several episodes. Personally, I don't care for the live shows. But if your nephew listens to any three episodes that are not live recordings, and he still doesn't like the show, then it's probably not for him.

The live shows have a different character to them, and the sound is not always easy to listen to. They're playing more to the studio audience than to the podcast audience.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Awatsjr

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 02:14:22 AM »
Interesting, I skip live shows too.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 05:15:56 AM »
Live shows are quite swing or miss, largely dependent on the audio quality, but also how visual and catered to the live audience they are.

I wonder if it would be better for them to do the live shows without worrying about recording them for the podcast. Or put them on their own feed, with an understanding that these are not your regular episodes, other than NECCS and others where they have more control over/familiarity with the venue. And make the regular episode for those weeks a quick host-rotating science-or-fiction, or a single news story, or something else short, if they don't want to break the streak of one episode per week.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:27:31 AM by 2397 »

Offline Awatsjr

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 11:33:55 AM »
They are painful to listen to but they like doing them and people have come to expect them. I just consider them a blip in the bigger picture. The live interviews however, are often quite good.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »
They are painful to listen to but they like doing them and people have come to expect them. I just consider them a blip in the bigger picture. The live interviews however, are often quite good.

^ This!
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain