Author Topic: Avengers:Endgame [SPOILERS]  (Read 2877 times)

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
Re: Avengers:Endgame [SPOILERS]
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2019, 06:19:51 PM »
Why is it bad that the women had a sub-team of their own?

I don't think it is bad, but the way it came about, in the middle of the battle with zero lead up to it, felt very forced.  If it could have been something of a subplot throughout, culminating in that moment, the payoff would have been great.

Forced was my feeling. In a chaotic war to have all the women heroes in one spot just wouldn't happen. (Ok statistically any combination is possible  ;) )

You could have had a montage of all the women fighting separate battles (even in small groups) and achieved the same girl power feeling.

It was a great scene and I wouldn't want it cut. But it could have been handled better and not stood out as a forced decision.

On another point it was odd that Natasha didn't get a funeral. Did they leave her body where they got the Soul Stone? Was that part of the deal?

I am looking forward to the Black Widow movie. I have wanted that since Avengers.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2019, 06:32:27 PM »
What you all seem to be forgetting is that if any 14,000,605 details of this movie you are complaining about had been changed, Thanos would have won.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2019, 06:52:08 PM »

I don't think it is bad, but the way it came about, in the middle of the battle with zero lead up to it, felt very forced.  If it could have been something of a subplot throughout, culminating in that moment, the payoff would have been great.

Forced was my feeling. In a chaotic war to have all the women heroes in one spot just wouldn't happen. (Ok statistically any combination is possible  ;) )

You could have had a montage of all the women fighting separate battles (even in small groups) and achieved the same girl power feeling.

It was a great scene and I wouldn't want it cut. But it could have been handled better and not stood out as a forced decision.

On another point it was odd that Natasha didn't get a funeral. Did they leave her body where they got the Soul Stone? Was that part of the deal?

I am looking forward to the Black Widow movie. I have wanted that since Avengers.

They weren't really in one spot. He called for help and they answered. It didn't feel forced to me.

Natasha did get a funeral - it just wasn't formal. Hulk tossed a bench during it. If there was a body to collect it's possible Hawkeye could not get to it to bring home after.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2019, 07:05:54 PM »

The whole freaking 7th Cavalry charge was forced. It came of out thin air. Picking one clot of troopers out of that mob to be stressed about is just a little weird.

Or, as Wong said, "You want more?!?!?!"
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2019, 07:30:06 PM »

The whole freaking 7th Cavalry charge was forced. It came of out thin air. Picking one clot of troopers out of that mob to be stressed about is just a little weird.

I think you are overstating what anyone has said.  Not saying it ruined the movie, or it wasn't a cool scene, just that that particular item felt forced.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2019, 12:40:12 PM »

I think you are overstating what anyone has said.  Not saying it ruined the movie, or it wasn't a cool scene, just that that particular item felt forced.
I was just saying that it didn't stand out that much.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2019, 04:21:19 PM »
I think that cavalry scene was a bold statement but we have to see if they live up to it.  Out of the 20 something marvel movies, the first 2/3rds were not particularly woke, but they did get better with time.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.