Author Topic: What are the bad movies you just can't get enough of?  (Read 470 times)

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Re: What are the bad movies you just can't get enough of?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 10:55:57 AM »
Starship troopers. I have all 3 on DVD.

The first one is hardly a bad movie.  I haven't seen the other two.

The franchise really goes down hill and the trilogy is an acquired taste. I recommend altered states of consciousness. 

Also on the bad movie list you can't get enough of would be any Troma property.

Has anyone seen The Story of Ricky Oh?

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
I do like both Ice Pirates and Tank Girl.

The original tremors was a good movie so does not deserve placement in this thread.

As a rule Paul Verhoven makes bad movies then claims they were satire; Total Recal, Starship Troopers, Show Girls, and Basic Instinct were all bad movies. 

But, he does merit mention on this list.  Flesh and Blood is an absurd medieval sword and.....other stuff semi-fantasy.

Also with Ruger Hauer, Blood of Heroes.  One of the few enjoyable post-mad max post-apocalypse action thrillers.

Battle Field Earth was not nearly as bad as folks thought.

Zardoz is mesmerizing, if only for Connery in a red bikini thing.
I watched about 10 minutes of Basic Instinct ( I was 13).  Is it not worth watching the rest?
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 04:43:12 PM »
I watched about 10 minutes of Basic Instinct ( I was 13).  Is it not worth watching the rest?
Only if you are thirteen and its before the internet. 

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

A bad movie that seems to have a plot from two different movies joined together in the middle.
But it's a Russ Meyers movie, so the actresses have, you know.., big ones.

It was made in 1970 and the fashion is just so of that time. The main character is part of an all female rock band --When I first saw this the first thing I thought of was live action Josie and the Pussycats.  It seemed to be made in that small 18 month window where guys wore knotted neckerchiefs under the collar--not quite an ascot, not quite a tie.

Screenplay by Roger Ebert.

Plus it features Charles Napier, the guy who played the greatest goddamned Star Trek character of all time, brother.
If that isn't all, those big ones I mentioned earlier?
They get busted out of those clothes. A lot.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 07:08:03 PM »
Gosh how could I forget weekend at bernie's. What a stupid fucking movie.
Oh and Spaceballs, which I love and fully admit is terrible.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 07:40:21 PM »
Tank Girl was not a bad movie!
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 11:48:58 AM »
Gosh how could I forget weekend at bernie's. What a stupid fucking movie.
Oh and Spaceballs, which I love and fully admit is terrible.

Weekend at Bernie's was a brilliant movie! Spaceballs was a terrible movie whose only good point was Rick Moranis, and I have no interest in watching it again. The Winnebago was stupid and Mel Brooks wasn't even funny.

Tank Girl was not a bad movie!

Tank Girl is a solid 10/10. It's an incredibly stupid movie, but a wonderful movie.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 12:35:38 PM »
Weekend at Bernie's 10/10

What a brilliant movie.

There is a guy who cosplays Bernie at Dragon con and lets people move him around, I always place my business cards in his hand for others to grab as they walk by.  >:D
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 12:46:28 PM »
Weekend at Bernies is only remarkable in that it got made.  Thoroughly mediocre moving from a ridiculous premise. 

Mel Brooks has not been funny since the early 80s.  A bit of an exaggeration but Spaceballs, Men in Tights, And Dracula are all just bad.  Bad drama and bad action can at least still be funny, but bad comedy is just boring. 

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 01:14:28 PM »
Weekend at Bernies is only remarkable in that it got made.  Thoroughly mediocre moving from a ridiculous premise. 

Mel Brooks has not been funny since the early 80s.  A bit of an exaggeration but Spaceballs, Men in Tights, And Dracula are all just bad.  Bad drama and bad action can at least still be funny, but bad comedy is just boring.

I dont disagree but there is a big dropoff from Spaceballs --> Men in Tights --> Dracula. Dracula is damn near unwatchable.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 01:59:19 PM »

Mel Brooks movies live or die based on the cast, imho.
When he has those actors like Gene Wilder, Cloris Leachman and/or Madeline Kahn they make the (bad) jokes come alive. They seem to "get" the whole thing better.

The later movies suffer imho because the actors seem to be imitating the earlier movies. John Candy is funny, but always seems more suited to the sctv/snl humor than the Mel Brooks humor.
I think Brooks was also sort of re-treading and almost doing parody of himself.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 02:09:09 PM »

Like any fantasy, one must suspend disbelief before one can enjoy it. The premise is silly. It's a great movie.

I find that I cannot suspend disbelief for time travel, FTL travel, or space aliens who look almost exactly like us and speak English. For some reason I have no trouble suspending disbelief for vampires, werewolves, zombies, most sorts of superheroes, and flying kung fu masters. I'm also intolerant of fantasy presented with sciency-sounding quasi-explanations, but I'm fine with fantasy that's just fantasy.

Weekend at Bernies is a kind of zombie comedy, so I have no problems with it. In fact, this discussion has made me put it on my NetFlix queue again.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 02:43:28 PM »
I think the think about Weekend at Bernies, for me was it was mildly amusing, had a couple well placed visual gags, etc.

I also recall seeing it during the summer, I was about the same age as the actors and had gone out to the Hamptons a couple times to party that summer, so there is a sort of familiarity for me.

Plus my buddy and I were dragging a corpse around and hooking up. Ah, memories.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 03:55:52 PM »
I dont disagree but there is a big dropoff from Spaceballs --> Men in Tights --> Dracula. Dracula is damn near unwatchable.
After I posted this, I checked his wiki page, the intenet largely agrees.  His rotten tomatoes scores are 90s through 1975.  When High Anxiety and Silent Movie at 80 and 75 percent.  Then:

History of the World, Pt 1.   62%
Spaceballs                         54%
Robin Hood: Men in Tights  48%
Dracula: Just Dead             11%

In between spaceballs and robin hood is a movie called, "Live Stinks" at 11%. I don't think I'd heard of it prior to now. 

@Daniel, its a curious thing what causes suspension of disbelief to be broken.  I agree with you regarding fantasy as Sci Fi except the FTL and Space Aliens that look human.  Though space aliens having sex with or worse yet actually producing young with humans, always breaks my suspension of disbelief.  Time travel is fine as long as its done well which is really really hard to do well. 

The thing about weekend at bernies is that it wasn't really a zombie movie.  It was a somewhat realistic universe except nobody noticed the dead body.   That just didn't work for me.   Like I said, curious what breaks suspension of disbelief for some folks. 

Now, back to my real point.  You can't have a good bad comedy because bad fiction is only good when it fails in a funny way.   If its funny then comedy hasn't failed.  Thus, failed comedy can only be bad. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:02:27 PM by Ah.hell »

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 07:18:17 PM »
Time travel cannot work once you've internalized the fact that the concept itself has no meaning. It simply, factually, does not mean anything to travel faster than light because, as Monty Python correctly puts it, the speed of light is the fastest speed there is. Also, there is no such thing as the "same" time in two widely-separated places. Thus "real-time" communication cannot happen across large distances. The only way these things can work for me in fiction is just to call it fantasy.

Dr. Who works because the tardis is really just a magic box. I can enjoy it as fantasy. OTOH, Star Trek insists on presenting itself as advanced science.

Bernie is a zombie because he gets up and walks around. But he's the Vudu style of zombie, raised by a magic ritual ceremony, rather than the infectious brain-eating zombie introduced in Night of the Living Dead. It works for me because the one unreal element is presented as magic. I can suspend disbelief of magic.

I can tolerate FTL travel when it's either silly enough to be amusing (as in HGttG) or the whole thing is a spoof (as in Galaxy Quest).
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck