Author Topic: Any fans of filk music out there?  (Read 142 times)

Offline Ishmael

• Off to a Start
Any fans of filk music out there?
« on: August 08, 2019, 11:08:17 PM »
If ever a music topic was destined to fail miserably... ;D
Filk music  ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filk_music ) is often very bad, often very good, but the best is both at the same time.  I have listened to, and met, Heather Alexander, Alexander James, Leslie Fish, Julia Ecklar, Frank Hayes and many others at filk circles that went on for hours.  If you have any idea what I'm blabbering about please chime in, while I just sit back and sing "Banned From Argo" to myself.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter Thompson

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: Any fans of filk music out there?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 09:00:26 AM »
I have a physical copy of Ceclia Eng's "Of Shoes and Ships".  Digital of a couple of Tom Smith albums and, of course, Steven Brust's "A Rose for Iconoclastes".

Back in the old Napster days I had a few from Heather Alexander and Mercedes Lackey (Cost of the Crown is my favorite).
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 11:31:03 AM »
I never even heard of filk music until seeing the title of this thread. I wondered if it was a typo for film music.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 11:36:31 AM »
Yeah, I've never met anyone in the wild that's heard of it either.  It's not really a goto genre for me, though I do enjoy it.  Whenever I've brought it up in conversation, even with fellow nerds, I get blank stares.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 06:15:36 PM »
I have been around this for a long time as i have been going to gaming and sci fi conventions since the 80s and it was always present. At first it was small groups singing after hours in the lobby but it eventually became official events and later included panels on how to do it.

Dragoncon now has an entire track dedicated to it.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Ishmael

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 06:37:10 PM »
Cecelia Eng, Frank Hayes, Alexander James and many others usually come to Orycon here in Portland every fall.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter Thompson

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 01:05:21 PM »
Been a looooong while since I have even thought about filk music.  I do enjoy it when it doesn't suck, if you know what I mean.  That said, I never knew (but should have guessed) that there were "professionals".  IME, it was always folks doing it for fun at cons, probably singing songs distributed over Usenet or found in Zines & Genre Mags (Remember the filk songs in Dragon every April?)

Got any recommendations?  I bet my kids would dig it muchly.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 01:58:01 PM »
If ever a music topic was destined to fail miserably... ;D
Filk music  ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filk_music ) is often very bad, often very good, but the best is both at the same time.  I have listened to, and met, Heather Alexander, Alexander James, Leslie Fish, Julia Ecklar, Frank Hayes and many others at filk circles that went on for hours.  If you have any idea what I'm blabbering about please chime in, while I just sit back and sing "Banned From Argo" to myself.
My wife is lactose intolerant, so I buy almond milk for her. She glanced at the shopping list one time and saw "filk" on the list.

"What's that?"

"Fake milk."

She hit me.

The next day I picked up the artificial sweetener I use and noticed it had been labeled "fugar". I guess we're even?

/derail
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 04:15:40 PM »
Been a looooong while since I have even thought about filk music.  I do enjoy it when it doesn't suck, if you know what I mean.  That said, I never knew (but should have guessed) that there were "professionals".  IME, it was always folks doing it for fun at cons, probably singing songs distributed over Usenet or found in Zines & Genre Mags (Remember the filk songs in Dragon every April?)

Got any recommendations?  I bet my kids would dig it muchly.
I can't over recommend "Of Shoes and Ships" by Ceclia Eng. 
This one from that album is based "Brains & Brawn" series by Anne McCaffery:

Mercedes Lackey also wrote a great album:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:17:55 PM by Calinthalus »
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 04:23:46 PM »
My wife insisted I post her favorite.  Also from a Mercedes Lackey work:
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 04:48:13 PM »
Voltaire became extremely popular at cons eventually becoming a fire hazard and is no longer permitted to do lobby shows due to over-attendance  >:D  He has a huge catalog online.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 06:42:31 PM »
I will give it a listen.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 08:57:37 PM »
I have a friend who's a strong filker. If anyone has been part of the SCA, you may have heard of Eric the Fruitbat. He's quite well-known here, and I'm pretty sure he's been to Pennsic or one of the other big wars.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

personate-rain
personate-rain