Author Topic: Who still listens to over-the-air radio?  (Read 311 times)

Offline Ishmael

• Off to a Start
Who still listens to over-the-air radio?
« on: August 09, 2019, 01:34:35 PM »
If you still listen to non-streaming, non-satellite broadcast through the very air we breathe radio, pop in and give us the details.  What formats, what shows, whether it is at home, at work, while commuting or any combination of the three.
For years I was a devoted Mark and Brian fan, but now in the morning I listen to local hosts Cory and Mitch on KINK 101.9, switching to the local jazz station in the afternoon on KMHD 89.1.  On the weekends I usually tune into classical on KQAC 89.9.  Everything I listen to now is locally produced, BTW.
Any other listeners out there?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter Thompson

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Re: Who still listens to over-the-air radio?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »
Usually i'm streaming unless i'm in the car. For long distance i'll pop in mp3s. I like noise when i do dishes so turn on the local station.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 01:55:19 PM »
My new old car currently has a defunct aftermarket radio in it. Previously, I would pretty much always listen to NPR on FM radio while driving, before getting a smartphone and unlimited data. Strictly using my phone now, but I was looking and found a couple of car stereos that have HD radio (digital free-to-air radio, uses the spectrum between FM bands).

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 02:53:28 PM »
If I listen to radio over the air, it's NPR or I'm with my wife in her car, where she rules the airwaves.  I had a satellite radio in my old truck, but now I just listen to my phone through a portable speaker (which has surprising fidelity).

Commercials just kill me anymore.  I have zero patience for them on radio.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:40:49 PM by Swagomatic »
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 02:53:58 PM »
Local radio DJs drive me bonkers.  I have the radio on for my brief commute between home and kid's school and for driving around town with passengers (when I'm by myself I put on podcasts), I listen to music and advertising, and mute it when the DJs start to patter.  Format is whatever you call stuff aimed an Gen Xers (I guess it's technically "oldies" if stuff from the late 90s is oldies these days).
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »
Before I got my current car with free streaming I sometimes listened to FM radio while driving. Not any more. The shows I used to like are all available as podcasts, which is more convenient.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 03:38:04 PM »
Every now and then in the car, and I'm reminded of why I barely listen to radio otherwise despite it being easy enough to stream over WiFi. They keep switching between different types of content, including putting random music in the middle of discussions about world events. If I wanted to listen to something other than what I was listening to, I would've stopped listening to the channel in the first place.

Offline gcason

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 11:59:56 PM »
In my car, it's either satellite radio or MP3s. I have a 30 minute commute, so I listen to SGU and other podcasts mostly.

I have an AM/FM radio designed for the shower that is still hanging on so I haven't bothered to get rid of it. I have it tuned to a classic rock station, a newer rock station, and a pop station that tries to do morning show comedy along with the music. I used to also listen to an FM news station, but it went too far right wing for my taste. I use Alexa for my last minute traffic report.
My name is gcason and I approved this message.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 07:54:37 AM »
99.1 JAZZ FM in Toronto almost every evening.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 02:11:09 PM »
95.5 WSB Atlanta Talk radio in the car. Its mostly conservative but they have the best traffic and local news coverage which is a must. The traffic team is amazing compared to other stations.

The Von Haessler Doctrine in the late morning is funny and often lines up with my personal political views. The Trump impressions are so funny and true to form.

Then the 3 hate conservatives come on, Rush, Hannity and Erickson, I can handle the latter two to a degree but Rush infuriates me to no end.

Mark Arum has a fantastic non political lifestyle show in the evenings that I really enjoy and its interesting to listen to Clark Howard the financial adviser.

Bill Handel’s "Handle on the law" on the weekends. That guy is such an asshole but it makes me laugh the way he "handles" people and I have actually learned some law that has helped me out personally.

If I cant stand the current topic or If Rush is on I will switch back and forth with the classic Hip hop station which is actually better than the classic Rock station.

Offline Ron Obvious

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 06:54:10 PM »
I was a long-time NPR listener, but have to admit it's been far too dumbed down over the last 10-20 years for me to find it interesting anymore. Sad, really. I used to listen all day at work.  Now I can barely stand it for even a short period of time. As for commercial radio, forget it.

That leaves our local (Seattle) classical music station, Classic KING FM, which is one of the best of its kind.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »
Not willingly, for decades. I think the last time I voluntarily listened to broadcast radio was in the 80s. It hasn't improved since then.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

personate-rain
personate-rain