Author Topic: Episode #735  (Read 999 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #735
« on: August 10, 2019, 11:44:22 AM »
News Items: Video Game Violence, Public Trusts in Scientists, Robot Workers, New Type of Star, Detecting Planet Cores; Who's That Noisy, Your Questions and E-mails: TMT Follow Up; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode #735
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 04:14:53 PM »
Mass shootings have existed since the availability of automatic/repeating guns. Actually, a school shooting in 1891 committed with a double-barrel shotgun might been a mass shooting, except it injured 14, killed 0.

Notably, neither of the recent killers seems to have been into games. It was pure doublespeak BS on Trump's part, since one of the shooters literally posted his white supremacist intent.

Offline GodHead

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 08:59:19 PM »
The real cause of violent gun deaths is Americans.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 09:14:21 PM »
Skydiving is a terrifying, exhilarating, and relatively safe activity when done in its simplest form, without fancy aerobatics or multiple people flying in formation. I did it once, tandem, in Mexico, and it was an experience not to be missed.

We are a nation that fetishizes violence. In popular culture, the person who tries to solve conflict peacefully is ridiculed and the only solution is to kill people. We took our land by violence and we impose our will on weaker nations by violence. We claim to value life more than other cultures, and use that claim to justify killing people who oppose our efforts to take their resources. It should surprise nobody that when mentally unstable people feel aggrieved, they sometimes turn to violence. But as Steve noted, the one thing that all mass killings by individuals have in common is the easy access to guns.

It is a legitimate but entirely separate issue that we are idiotically lenient in how we deal with drunk or otherwise impaired drivers.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 09:28:14 PM »
Regarding confidence in scientists, I would note that an awful lot of scientists work for the military, inventing more effective ways to kill people. I have zero confidence in scientists in general to be socially responsible in their choice of work. I do have confidence in the scientific method to solve problems, and I have confidence in those scientists who work in fields that help people rather than hurt them. So, e.g., I have confidence in doctors in general.

Regarding automation, the word "sabotage" comes from early Luddites who would throw their shoe into a piece of machinery to screw it up, because machines were taking jobs away from people.

Futurists (who always get everything wrong) love to predict that automation will create free time for workers. In the 1960's we were told that because of automation, workers would work perhaps ten hours a week and would have the rest of their time for leisure activities. Of course, the wealth created by the machines does not go to raising wages so that workers will have free time; the wealth all goes to the owners of factories so that they become obscenely wealthy, while the workers actually get paid less and less and have to work longer hours for less real buying power.

Up until now the middle class has been largely immune, but as automation enters the intellectual jobs, the middle class will be driven down into the lower class and America will turn into Honduras.

I got SoF wrong, as usual.

(click to show/hide)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 09:29:21 PM »
Skydiving is a terrifying, exhilarating, and relatively safe activity when done in its simplest form, without fancy aerobatics or multiple people flying in formation. I did it once, tandem, in Mexico, and it was an experience not to be missed.

We are a nation that fetishizes violence. In popular culture, the person who tries to solve conflict peacefully is ridiculed and the only solution is to kill people. We took our land by violence and we impose our will on weaker nations by violence. We claim to value life more than other cultures, and use that claim to justify killing people who oppose our efforts to take their resources. It should surprise nobody that when mentally unstable people feel aggrieved, they sometimes turn to violence. But as Steve noted, the one thing that all mass killings by individuals have in common is the easy access to guns.

It is a legitimate but entirely separate issue that we are idiotically lenient in how we deal with drunk or otherwise impaired drivers.
My ex is an ardent communist, a civil rights activist, an advocate for women and the trans community and a teacher for minority communities, but she admitted to drink driving more than once in New Mexico.
For people here, who share her views and passion on almost no issues, that is absolutely unforgivable!
One good thing she took home after visiting was a healthy sense of shame and appreciation for how not ok that was.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 10:58:10 AM »
I hope we automate as much work and as many types of work as possible. Then we can reduce the working week to 1 day, first filled up by whatever still needs to be done by humans, and the rest just to keep a structure to the week.

The standard working days to choose from can be Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Then Wednesday could be the designated day for any kind of machine and construction work at home. The three other days for other weekend type activities. Then on Saturday and Sunday, there could be the death penalty 50 years in prison $10000000 fine a stern talking to and an official warning for first offenders, if you make any noise loud enough to be heard through a wall. With rapidly increasing, wealth-based fines past the first offense.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 11:18:56 AM »
I hope we automate as much work and as many types of work as possible. Then we can reduce the working week to 1 day, first filled up by whatever still needs to be done by humans, and the rest just to keep a structure to the week.

First, and most necessary step to achieving the above: Overthrow capitalism. As long as the means of production (i.e. the machines that will do the work) are owned by the investors and not the workers, those investors will keep all the wealth and still pay the workers little enough that they cannot survive without working 40 to 60 hours a week.

And as long as politics is ruled by money, the above won't happen.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 11:21:51 AM »
Tia Juana disapproves of the rogues pronunciation,

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Tijuana.ogg

Chop suey, Mandarin pronunciation,

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 11:28:15 AM by DevoutCatalyst »

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 12:08:20 PM »

First, and most necessary step to achieving the above: Overthrow capitalism. As long as the means of production (i.e. the machines that will do the work) are owned by the investors and not the workers, those investors will keep all the wealth and still pay the workers little enough that they cannot survive without working 40 to 60 hours a week.

And as long as politics is ruled by money, the above won't happen.
Automation is happening. Whether or not we completely change how we distribute wealth and think about value is going to determine whether the next couple of generations end up living in a two tiered hellscape society or a comfortable and fair one that gives opportunity for growth and the pursuit of passion.
Assuming we sort out climate change.
And the influence of where the wealth currently sits is a MASSIVE obstacle because it has convinced so many dipshits to be ideologically horrified at the idea of not being able to create their own rags to riches story or the fear of not being able to out negociate someone or another to get an extra 5% that someone else doing the same work didnt get while never getting to see their kids and going to an early grave.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 11:04:32 AM »
The Rogues discussed how it would be a good idea to post social media comments in an alternate universe or a simulation before posting them in real life. Of course, that's exactly what happened. NGT only posted them in this simulation. In real life he deleted the post.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 08:20:13 PM »
This episode has not appeared in my Premium feed. The last ad-free episode I see is #734.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 08:37:33 PM »
This episode has not appeared in my Premium feed. The last ad-free episode I see is #734.

It's posted in Patreon.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 08:45:32 PM »
Regarding confidence in scientists, I would note that an awful lot of scientists work for the military, inventing more effective ways to kill people. I have zero confidence in scientists in general to be socially responsible in their choice of work. I do have confidence in the scientific method to solve problems, and I have confidence in those scientists who work in fields that help people rather than hurt them. So, e.g., I have confidence in doctors in general.

Regarding automation, the word "sabotage" comes from early Luddites who would throw their shoe into a piece of machinery to screw it up, because machines were taking jobs away from people.

Futurists (who always get everything wrong) love to predict that automation will create free time for workers. In the 1960's we were told that because of automation, workers would work perhaps ten hours a week and would have the rest of their time for leisure activities. Of course, the wealth created by the machines does not go to raising wages so that workers will have free time; the wealth all goes to the owners of factories so that they become obscenely wealthy, while the workers actually get paid less and less and have to work longer hours for less real buying power.

Up until now the middle class has been largely immune, but as automation enters the intellectual jobs, the middle class will be driven down into the lower class and America will turn into Honduras.

I got SoF wrong, as usual.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 08:53:30 PM »
The Rogues seem, to me, to be pretty wimpy when it came to skydiving.  Yeah sure, folks get killed but I really enjoyed my 300+ leaps.  It was just a two year hiatus from my true passion of rock climbing; just couldn't fit both in and make a meagre living.

Just jumping, falling flat and stable and puling the ripcord became totally boring after ten jumps, so I fell into the clutches of RW (relative work).  Nothing is like flying into a big "star" (circle of people) and joining hands.  A lot to do in 50 or 60 seconds. I still vividly remember the first time I flew in last (into a 12 person "star"), the sun was rapidly disappearing below the horizon, the ground was dark and the 11 others were lit by the setting sun. 

It's a bit like psychedelic drugs, if one hasn't done it, one can't know what it is like. 
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.