Author Topic: Episode #735  (Read 998 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Episode #735
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 10:01:56 PM »
This episode has not appeared in my Premium feed. The last ad-free episode I see is #734.

It's posted in Patreon.

I know, and I got the email about it being posted in Patreon, and I can access it through the site. It just hasn't downloaded to my device, which it normally does on a Sunday afternoon like clockwork. Other podcasts I've subscribed to have downloaded with no problem.

I've emailed the team just to make sure, but my next step is going to be to unsubscribe and resubscribe to see which episode it downloads. It's a bit of a pain because it means I need to fetch my premium subscribe link again and I can't remember where to find that.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 10:20:03 PM »
Huh, and whaddaya know? I signed on to Patreon using my computer, and like magic the episode immediately started to download to my phone.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 10:33:05 PM »
The Rogues seem, to me, to be pretty wimpy when it came to skydiving.  Yeah sure, folks get killed but I really enjoyed my 300+ leaps.  It was just a two year hiatus from my true passion of rock climbing; just couldn't fit both in and make a meagre living.

Just jumping, falling flat and stable and puling the ripcord became totally boring after ten jumps, so I fell into the clutches of RW (relative work).  Nothing is like flying into a big "star" (circle of people) and joining hands.  A lot to do in 50 or 60 seconds. I still vividly remember the first time I flew in last (into a 12 person "star"), the sun was rapidly disappearing below the horizon, the ground was dark and the 11 others were lit by the setting sun. 

We've had the same hobbies.  I've made over 1000 jumps, and was a certified jumpmaster, instructor, and tandem master.  Was also fairly proficient at 5.12 sport climbing (hence the user name) and even managed to redpoint a couple easy-ish 5.13a's.  I don't do either sport anymore.  Now, mostly hike in the mountains. 
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline GodHead

• Off to a Start
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 06:57:47 AM »
I'd like to see how America automates their school shootings.

I wonder how society will adapt to having so many disgruntled potential shooters being put out of a job though. They may do something rash and despicable, like starting a union.

Offline Epicurus

• Off to a Start
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 08:26:25 AM »
I'm surprised the studies suggesting that frustration in games is more of a factor in real life aggression than violence weren't brought up. I could imagine getting in a very rough mood from a impossible Mario maker level.

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 10:27:52 AM »
I’ve done sky diving twice. Two weekends ,7 jumps, static line. Lots of fun.

I also had reservations about jumping out of a “perfectly good airplane”. The jump master just laughed and said “our airplanes are not perfectly good”.

In our training they explained how to open the reserve shoot if the main didn’t open. I asked how long I would have to do that.

“The rest of your life” was the answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 04:44:18 PM »
I went skydiving for my 50th birthday - wanted to do something epic and memorable... it was a real thrill... once was enough.  I watch the video sometimes just for fun.  I'm not really a risk taker and I like to be in control.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 04:45:01 PM »
This episode has not appeared in my Premium feed. The last ad-free episode I see is #734.

It's posted in Patreon.

I know, and I got the email about it being posted in Patreon, and I can access it through the site. It just hasn't downloaded to my device, which it normally does on a Sunday afternoon like clockwork. Other podcasts I've subscribed to have downloaded with no problem.

I've emailed the team just to make sure, but my next step is going to be to unsubscribe and resubscribe to see which episode it downloads. It's a bit of a pain because it means I need to fetch my premium subscribe link again and I can't remember where to find that.

Odd. I never got any email, but the episode downloaded onto my iPod (iCatcher) just as normal.

I’ve done sky diving twice. Two weekends ,7 jumps, static line. Lots of fun.

I also had reservations about jumping out of a “perfectly good airplane”. The jump master just laughed and said “our airplanes are not perfectly good”.

In our training they explained how to open the reserve shoot if the main didn’t open. I asked how long I would have to do that.

“The rest of your life” was the answer

The pilot when I did it was about a 16 year old kid. I actually felt safer jumping with the parachutist (tandem) than staying and landing with the plane. I jumped and all went well other than severe motion sickness at the very end as he swerved and maneuvered to get into position for the landing. I presume the plane also landed safely.

I've only ever done it the once and I highly recommend it. For a beginner I recommend tandem so you get the full 45 seconds, or whatever, of free fall.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 07:58:55 PM »
Anyone else here listen to Skeptics With A K? In their latest episode they also talked about the studies that linked video games with "markers of aggression". They pointed out that one of the commonly-used "markers of aggression" was how much hot sauce someone would put in a drink they were making for someone who doesn't like hot sauce. It's called the Hot Sauce Paradigm.

Offline Zec

• Off to a Start
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 08:28:35 AM »
Did Steve really say that pizza was invented in New Haven? As an Italian I am horrified!

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 09:32:35 AM »
Did Steve really say that pizza was invented in New Haven? As an Italian I am horrified!

I think it might be a bit of regional braggadocio. New Haven style pizza is a fairly unique.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 11:34:09 AM »
When I was in Italy around 1966, pizza there was a flat bread with some olive oil and/or butter on it. Maybe some herbs as well. So different from what we in the U.S. think of as pizza that whichever of the two came later deserves a different name. On that occasion I had supper at the home of my sister's in-laws. The spaghetti was served with butter and olive oil. No tomato or alfredo sauce. No meat. The meat (I was not yet a vegetarian) was served as a separate course. The food I ate in that house bore no resemblance to what I get in an Italian restaurant here.

This was in Rome, in case there are/were regional differences.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 11:03:26 PM »
The Rogues seem, to me, to be pretty wimpy when it came to skydiving.  Yeah sure, folks get killed but I really enjoyed my 300+ leaps.  It was just a two year hiatus from my true passion of rock climbing; just couldn't fit both in and make a meagre living.

Just jumping, falling flat and stable and puling the ripcord became totally boring after ten jumps, so I fell into the clutches of RW (relative work).  Nothing is like flying into a big "star" (circle of people) and joining hands.  A lot to do in 50 or 60 seconds. I still vividly remember the first time I flew in last (into a 12 person "star"), the sun was rapidly disappearing below the horizon, the ground was dark and the 11 others were lit by the setting sun. 

We've had the same hobbies.  I've made over 1000 jumps, and was a certified jumpmaster, instructor, and tandem master.  Was also fairly proficient at 5.12 sport climbing (hence the user name) and even managed to redpoint a couple easy-ish 5.13a's.  I don't do either sport anymore.  Now, mostly hike in the mountains.

Just a 5.10, circa 1971 (Rapture of the Steep, I think) JT12.  We hadn't managed to assimilate leg loops into our kit but we had moved to wires and hexes from hammers and pegs.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 11:22:29 PM »

Just a 5.10, circa 1971 (Rapture of the Steep, I think) JT12.  We hadn't managed to assimilate leg loops into our kit but we had moved to wires and hexes from hammers and pegs.

That's fantastic.  5.10 was bleeding edge at that time.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 11:37:01 PM »

That’s one kool Kat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.