Author Topic: soundclown  (Read 119 times)

Online drproximo

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • fnord
    • blaugh
soundclown
« on: August 10, 2019, 12:40:39 PM »
I can't remember if I've posted about this here or not, but I've been away for awhile so even if I did it's probably okay to bring it up again. There's this little sub-scene on SoundCloud called "soundclowns". The definition is a little nebulous, but it's kind of like a mashup, but shorter and funnier. Like, when you have a legit mashup, the challenge is to combine two or more songs to get something that's about the length of a "normal" song and you would want to listen to all the way through. But not all mashups are like that. Sometimes you might have a really good idea for putting two or more songs together, but as you're editing it you discover that it won't work as a full-length song, because it's silly and quirky and once you get the joke you don't need to keep going for another 2 minutes straight. So you edit it down to the basics, maybe add some extra bits to flesh it out, and put it out as a novelty rather than a major creation. My most recent contribution uses a Police song as the base loop, and brings in bits of Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, and a Shakespeare play.

https://soundcloud.com/vangauche/thought-is-free

One other that I wanted to share which I think really illustrates my definition is this:

https://soundcloud.com/vangauche/golden-pastiche-crazyintheairwithoutfrontiers

It started out because I wanted to make a rap beat that combined "In The Air Tonight" and "Games Without Frontiers". It took a lot of wiggling to get the two songs lined up in the same key and tempo, but I wasn't able to find or make any drum loop that sounded good as another layer, so I abandoned it for a few months. Then, shortly after I started doing soundclowns, I dug it up and found an a capella for "Crazy in Love". Once I put that into the mix, it took me less than an hour to finish it.
"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

- Jack Kerouac, On The Road

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: soundclown
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 05:08:49 PM »
Games Without Frontiers is one of my fave songs ever.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 10:55:42 PM »
I like the name
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online drproximo

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • fnord
    • blaugh
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 09:29:41 AM »
I like the name
Are you talking about the word "soundclown"? The SoundCloud name "Van Gauche"? The artist name "golden pastiche"? One of the track titles?
"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

- Jack Kerouac, On The Road

personate-rain
personate-rain