Author Topic: Tech Laughs  (Read 275 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Tech Laughs
« on: August 15, 2019, 02:25:41 PM »

Significant Digits For Thursday, Aug. 15, 2019 | FiveThirtyEight

$12,049 in traffic fines
A computer hacker in California secured for himself as a cheeky joke the vanity license plate “NULL,” a word often used in programing to indicate an empty or undefined value. As a result, he at one point faced $12,049 in traffic fines. Whenever a traffic cop in the state forgot to enter a license plate number along with a citation, it seems, the ticket got sent the hacker’s way.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Tech Laughs
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 07:14:13 PM »
I smell an urban legend. There's been a story going around since the early days of BBS and usenet about NOPLATE with similar results. I ran it myself on my own BBS in the early 80s.

Harder to imagine the word "NULL" being confused with NULL or "" in these days, though.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 07:57:22 PM »
Seems relevant:

Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 06:46:18 AM »

I smell an urban legend. There's been a story going around since the early days of BBS and usenet about NOPLATE with similar results. I ran it myself on my own BBS in the early 80s.

Harder to imagine the word "NULL" being confused with NULL or "" in these days, though.
I read the story somewhere else. Boing Boing maybe.  Anyway, the story was a report from a guy telling the story on stage at DefCon.  Anyway, there are pictures of his presentation over at Mashable.  Of course, it's a hacker convention so there's no telling that his story and screenshots are real.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 07:17:27 AM »
I couldn't find anything on Snopes about this.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 09:47:47 AM »
Can't find confirmation of the story in the original link, but here's a similar story that seems legit:

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 10:58:04 AM »
The ticket includes a description of the car in most places. If he appears before the judge for tickets given to >1,000 different cars he'd probably have a good case for dismissal.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 11:49:28 AM »
True or not, I think it's a warning about vanity plates: If you fuck with government bureaucracy you're gonna get fucked. It's like making bomb jokes in an airport. You have the right of free speech, but they're going to make your life hell for a while. If you're doing it as a protest and you're willing to accept the consequences, more power to you. But be aware of the consequences going in.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 12:01:47 PM »

I read the story somewhere else. Boing Boing maybe.  Anyway, the story was a report from a guy telling the story on stage at DefCon.  Anyway, there are pictures of his presentation over at Mashable.  Of course, it's a hacker convention so there's no telling that his story and screenshots are real.
The item was sourced to Wired, that may be  where you saw it.

https://www.wired.com/story/null-license-plate-landed-one-hacker-ticket-hell/

They did a little reporting and contacted the company and DMV and were able to verify some aspects of the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 07:12:32 PM »
You can read a PDF of his DEFCON presentation. It seems like a legit experiment that backfired.

https://media.defcon.org/DEF%20CON%2027/DEF%20CON%2027%20presentations/DEFCON-27-droogie-go-null-yourself.pdf

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 05:27:52 PM »
The ticket includes a description of the car in most places. If he appears before the judge for tickets given to >1,000 different cars he'd probably have a good case for dismissal.

Sounds like he would have to do that every so often as the tickets keep coming. I don't think it would be worth the hassle.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

personate-rain
personate-rain