5 (16.1%)
Coke?
3 (9.7%)
Other?
4 (12.9%)
Fizzy Drinks?
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Soda, Pop, Coke, or other?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Soda, Pop, Coke, or other?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »
My stepmother used to call all soft drinks "tonic" - meaning Disney was right about stepmothers from the beginning! ;)

Here, tonic is a carbonated beverage containing quinine.

Soft drink. It's only ever been called soft drink.

Here, soft drinks are a category that includes both carbonated and uncarbonated non-alcoholic beverages.  It would most commonly be seen on a menu above a listing of sodas, iced teas, juices, etc.

Pop.

Soda is a white powered used in baking.

Here, that’s baking soda.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:30:48 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Over Nine Thousand!
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 08:32:19 PM »
Soft drink. It's only ever been called soft drink.

Here, soft drinks are a category that includes both carbonated and uncarbonated non-alcoholic beverages.  It would most commonly be seen on a menu above a listing of sodas, iced teas, juices, etc.

Not here. Carbonated sugary drinks are soft drinks. If it's not carbonated, it's not a soft drink. It's fruit juice, or cordial, or milk, something else.

And I'll add a thing to Tassie Dave's statement about cordial. Cordial, to me, is always diluted with water. It's a syrupy flavouring and not something that you'd drink on its own. Once you've diluted it, it's still referred to as cordial. It's also mostly drunk by children.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2019, 04:56:30 AM »
And I'll add a thing to Tassie Dave's statement about cordial. Cordial, to me, is always diluted with water. It's a syrupy flavouring and not something that you'd drink on its own. Once you've diluted it, it's still referred to as cordial. It's also mostly drunk by children.

It seems to be a Tassie thing (calling fizzy beverages cordial) What you call cordial is also called cordial here, just to confuse things ;)

We usually only add an adjective if we want to differentiate between the 2. ( 'fizzy cordial' or 'water cordial', because you add water )

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2019, 10:05:29 AM »
I found this great map. its from 2003 but i'm guessing it hasn't changed that much.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2019, 10:14:52 AM »
Soda is a white powered used in baking.

Also used in making carbonated drinks.

It's called soda around here.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2019, 11:28:17 AM »
It's interesting how segmented that map is.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2019, 12:04:49 PM »
I live in pop-land but deliberately use "soda" as an affectation.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Scamplotter

• Brand New
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 01:47:27 PM »
Fellow canucks might recognize this:

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 01:49:32 PM »

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2019, 02:54:50 PM »
I'm from California, it is soda and nobody said anything different but that one guy, and we all know what kind of guy he was.  First guy I knew who owned a home video machine and camera. 

I'm no living in pop country and if my kids ever call it pop their getting kicked out of the the house and disowned.

I remember the first time I heard coke used as a generic word for carbonated beverages.

Cashier, "what drink would you like with that?"
Me, "Coke."
Her, "what kind of coke?"
...long pause...
 :-\
Me, "What kinds of coke do you have?"
her, "you know, coke coke, orange coke, sprite coke......."
Me, Looks around for a hidden camera, "Coke coke?"

Offline Scamplotter

• Brand New
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2019, 03:11:27 PM »
Calling it coke when you don't want a cola doesn't make any sense to me.   That would be like using "OJ" for orange juice, or apple juice, or grape juice, etc.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2019, 03:37:33 PM »
Here, tonic is a carbonated beverage containing quinine.
And the quinine taste was an excuse to add gin.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2019, 03:58:25 PM »
Calling it coke when you don't want a cola doesn't make any sense to me.   That would be like using "OJ" for orange juice, or apple juice, or grape juice, etc.

Try living on Coca-Colas back porch and look in any direction. It wont be long before they have drones that follow you around and tell you how great they are. .

It does actually make a little sense, much like calling gelatin "Jell-o" 

When they put up Pepsi billboards for the Super Bowl people went out of their minds with anger and fear. It was like the world was ending.

I drank Pepsi growing up but now I don't really like any Cola. That goes double for Sprite and similar.

I like the flavors, Orange, Grape, Cream, and especially the root beers, classic root, birch, and ginger.

The classic way to drink coke in the south is with 3 salted peanuts added to a glass bottle.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2019, 04:07:32 PM »

Try living on Coca-Colas back porch and look in any direction. It wont be long before they have drones that follow you around and tell you how great they are. .

When they put up Pepsi billboards for the Super Bowl people went out of their minds with anger and fear. It was like the world was ending.

I drank Pepsi growing up but now I don't really like any Cola. That goes double for Sprite and similar.

I like the flavors, Orange, Grape, Cream, and especially the root beers, classic root, birch, and ginger.

The classic way to drink coke in the south is with 3 salted peanuts added to a glass bottle.
I grew up in Vicksburg, MS.  They have a Coke museum at the Biedenharn Candy Company, where Coke was bottled for the first time.  Also, coincidentally, the General in charge of defending Vicksburg during the siege was named John Pemberton, but not the one that invented Coke.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2019, 04:15:14 PM »

Almost.  It's like calling all gelatin of all manufacturers and all flavours "Lime Jell-o".
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada