5 (16.1%)
Coke?
3 (9.7%)
Other?
4 (12.9%)
Fizzy Drinks?
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Soda, Pop, Coke, or other?  (Read 1266 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Soda, Pop, Coke, or other?
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2019, 04:16:40 PM »
Try living on Coca-Colas back porch and look in any direction. It wont be long before they have drones that follow you around and tell you how great they are. .

I'm actually curious, what's the cultural vibe in the south about Diet Coke and/or Coke Zero?  Is it all good as long as it's Coca-Cola brand, or is there some disdain for the sugar-free variants?
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2019, 04:39:36 PM »
Try living on Coca-Colas back porch and look in any direction. It wont be long before they have drones that follow you around and tell you how great they are. .

I'm actually curious, what's the cultural vibe in the south about Diet Coke and/or Coke Zero?  Is it all good as long as it's Coca-Cola brand, or is there some disdain for the sugar-free variants?

It probably does not matter as long as you call it by its proper name. Coke! LOL

They advertise all that stuff equally as well as Fanta.

Honestly nobody blinks when I ask for a soda and they know what I am talking about, If I asked for a Pop they mite think thats funny or assume Im a tourist.

If you ask for a Coke at a place that sells Pepsi they will say "we serve Pepsi, is that OK?"  They have to ask the question or they mite really piss someone off.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2019, 04:52:41 PM »
It does actually make a little sense, much like calling gelatin "Jell-o"

Almost.  It's like calling all gelatin of all manufacturers and all flavours "Lime Jell-o".
This, its not like  Coca Cola has even tried to brand non-colas as Coke.  I might give the south a bit of leeway if Coke was trying to market Coke lemon-lime soda but they ain't.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2019, 07:56:26 PM »
I thought it was peculiar to call all soda "Coke." But when I was growing up, every refrigerator was a Frigidaire, all facial tissue was Kleenex. For a long time after copiers were invented (didn't have them when I was growing up, only mimeograph machines and their cheaper cousins, ditto machines) every copier was a Xeron machine. So it's not all that strange after all, when a brand name becomes the common generic term. I still call all sweetened, flavored, gelatin desserts Jell-O.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2019, 10:03:13 PM »
If you ask for a Coke at a place that sells Pepsi they will say "we serve Pepsi, is that OK?"  They have to ask the question or they mite really piss someone off.

I assume that’s true everywhere. Certainly it’s common practice here in New England.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2019, 02:21:23 AM »

I assume that’s true everywhere. Certainly it’s common practice here in New England.

Yea I guess they would, LOL that was dumb. At least they get to say it out loud where you are from, down here they sort of whisper in shame as if to say. "Sorry, its a Pepsi flavored Coke"!
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Scamplotter

• Brand New
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2019, 09:18:26 AM »
I still call all sweetened, flavored, gelatin desserts Jell-O.

Right, but Jell-O isn't always one flavour. I mean officially if you look at the name on the packaging.  When you get a grape soda it doesn't say "Coke Grape" on the side.  When you buy a box of Jell-O it says Jell-O plus a flavour right there on the box.  For a Gradle Soda you only know the it's bottled by the Coca-cola company when you look at the fine print.
Jell-O actually comes in multiple flavours, if you want Jell-O you still need to pick if you want lime or strawberry or whatever.  Similarly Kleenex comes in multiple varieties (lotion or not, etc) - but it is always a tissue, there is no "Kleenex Paper Towel", or "Kleenex paper napkins" so there is no confusion about what you are going to get if you ask for a Kleenex.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2019, 11:09:52 AM »

Right, but Jell-O isn't always one flavour.

My point exactly. When you ask for Jell-O, you need to specify what flavor, assuming you have a preference. In places where Coke is synonymous with soda, you specify what kind, assuming you have a preference. It seems weird to me to call all sodas "Coke," but that's because I've never lived anywhere that was done.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Scamplotter

• Brand New
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2019, 03:17:16 PM »

My point exactly. When you ask for Jell-O, you need to specify what flavor, assuming you have a preference. In places where Coke is synonymous with soda, you specify what kind, assuming you have a preference. It seems weird to me to call all sodas "Coke," but that's because I've never lived anywhere that was done.

But how did Coke which only comes in one flavour according to the actual big letters on the bottle/can/box get to be used for soda in general in the first place.  Jell-O at least comes in different flavours according to the advertising and manufacturer.  Both Pepsi and Coke only market colas (and variations on the cola flavour, e.g cherry coke) with the generic names Coke and Pepsi, despite bottling many other fizzy drinks.  You get 7-Up or Sprite, not Coke lemon-lime, or Pepsi citrus,  or similar.
(Is there anywhere that calls soda in general Pepsi? If not why not?) 
Referring to thee map posted earlier: What horrible thing went wrong in the south that caused this?   I can only conclude that North Americans get more rational as you move north  ;D

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2019, 03:43:03 PM »

The problem is that 'Pepsi' is not a flavor of soda, it is a brand of soda.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2019, 04:05:49 PM »

The problem is that 'Pepsi' is not a flavor of soda, it is a brand of soda.
Specifically, a brand of Cola which is a particular flavor of soda.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2019, 04:13:05 PM »

That's Jelly for the rest of us.

Which always confused me as a kid when US TV shows talked about peanut and Jelly sandwiches. Who would put Jelly on a sandwich?  ???

Even when I found out they meant Jam, I still wondered, who would think Jam and Peanut Butter was a good thing?  ??? Weird  :)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2019, 04:18:31 PM »
Jell-O is a brand, and I've always said "Jell-O" to refer to any sweetened, flavored gelatin dessert, regardless of flavor or brand.

As to how "Coke" became the generic term for all soda, regardless of flavor or brand, I have no idea. I'll guess it was the first or most popular to penetrate the market. Just like Xerox, Kleenex, or Frigidaire.

Anyway, for a long time I called all soft drinks "soda pop." Or just "soft drink."
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »

That's Jelly for the rest of us.

Which always confused me as a kid when US TV shows talked about peanut and Jelly sandwiches. Who would put Jelly on a sandwich?  ???

Even when I found out they meant Jam, I still wondered, who would think Jam and Peanut Butter was a good thing?  ??? Weird  :)

They didn't mean jam. Jam is made from fruit that has been macerated and cooked down. Jelly is made from the juice of the fruit. Grape jelly and red pepper jelly are about the consistency of thick jello. They are clear, with no fruit parts in the food.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2019, 04:20:25 PM »
... who would think Jam and Peanut Butter was a good thing? 

Pretty much every child in North America. Except me. I was never a fan of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain