Author Topic: Rugby World Cup  (Read 6012 times)

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
Re: Rugby World Cup
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2019, 04:09:33 PM »
We were in Japan for their run into the quarter final. It was pretty great.

Also, the Canadians got knocked out at the group stage (of course), so they stayed in Japan to help with the typhoon clean-up. All the japanese people we met were real impressed with us. I think someone bought me a beer?

That one scotsman in the hostel was real pissed, though.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2019, 05:26:50 PM »
My friend was posting pics from Japan all week. I had no idea why until he posted pics of his tickets and I was like "Ahhhh! The rugby"

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2019, 05:52:27 PM »
Why did it have to be South Africa?  ;)

This gives them bragging rights for a few years. They are now the most successful country at the World Cup. The same number of cups as the All Blacks with 2 fewer chances.

It does continue the Southern Hemispheres dominance at the World Cup. 8 titles to the North Hemispheres 1.

Hopefully, the Wallabies can get their act together before the next one.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2019, 06:14:20 AM »

This gives them bragging rights for a few years. They are now the most successful country at the World Cup. The same number of cups as the All Blacks with 2 fewer chances.

It does continue the Southern Hemispheres dominance at the World Cup. 8 titles to the North Hemispheres 1.

no matter who it was, if it wasn't NZ or Aus, it was a country with more people and more interest in soccer than rugby, so they have a bigger talent pool but more talent going elsewhere, making it a bit of an embarrassment no matter what
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2019, 03:33:39 PM »

no matter who it was, if it wasn't NZ or Aus, it was a country with more people and more interest in soccer than rugby, so they have a bigger talent pool but more talent going elsewhere, making it a bit of an embarrassment no matter what

Australia has a very small talent pool to draw Rugby Union players from.

Union may only be South Africa's 2nd most popular football code, but it is only our 4th most popular football code. Way behind the big 2, Aussie Rules and Rugby League, with soccer a distant 3rd, then Rugby Union behind that.

Australians follow and support the Wallabies, but Union is very few aussies favourite footy code, let alone sport. As a sport it would be lucky to be in the top 10.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2019, 05:02:29 AM »
 We lost.  Bummer, mostly for Steve, really.  Just a game, but hey, Ritchie is now a hero (if you comet grief on Canterbury roads).
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.