Author Topic: Foxconn all but abandons American factory  (Read 320 times)

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
Foxconn all but abandons American factory
« on: October 24, 2019, 12:05:44 PM »
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/23/20929453/foxconn-innovation-centers-on-hold-wisconsin-mount-pleasant-trump-deal

this story makes me livid.  I first heard about it from reply all. 
https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/wbhjwd

the short story, a city council does a lot of shady semi corrupt stuff, screws over a lot of people and the budget of their town and Wisconsin, only to be very very very predictably duped by Foxconn.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Foxconn all but abandons American factory
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 01:02:37 PM »
I think this belongs in the politics sub-forum.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 12:50:16 AM »
SSDD.  The city council thought they were gonna be house crackers if they sold out their fellow townspeople. 
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 08:12:04 AM »
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/23/20929453/foxconn-innovation-centers-on-hold-wisconsin-mount-pleasant-trump-deal

this story makes me livid.  I first heard about it from reply all. 
https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/wbhjwd

the short story, a city council does a lot of shady semi corrupt stuff, screws over a lot of people and the budget of their town and Wisconsin, only to be very very very predictably duped by Foxconn.

Agreed. The podcast about it was gob smacking. A bunch of people got shafted out of homes and jobs, if I recall. No one could talk any reality into the city council that the factory was a ruse. The politicians were amazingly cocky, arrogant, and self assured.

Sadly, it's these types of people that will double down and probably fail up to a higher political office.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 02:10:19 PM »
Racine is where I was born, and my most of my family lived. If I ever expected any disastrous and corrupt political action like this outside of Chicago, I'd expect Wisconsin and Racine in particular. I hear the city is better now, but even as a kid I knew it was a sh*thole.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 10:53:45 AM »
Well, that's American Idiocracy for you: the state's name has both "sin" and "con" in it. What else were you waiting for, the governor to say that the state is "open for business"?

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 01:00:38 PM »
Well, that's American Idiocracy for you: the state's name has both "sin" and "con" in it. What else were you waiting for, the governor to say that the state is "open for business"?
The best part is, the native tribes knew to name it that even before the settlers showed up.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 01:16:58 PM »
The best part is, the native tribes knew to name it that even before the settlers showed up.

In all seriousness, I do believe the state's name is an English-language pun. It is simply selection bias (choosing a tribe's name that already fits, and maybe changing the spelling).

personate-rain
personate-rain