Author Topic: Traveling  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Traveling
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2019, 03:41:59 PM »
I went to Helsinki, Finland, a while ago. Does that count?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2019, 05:05:25 PM »
Did you enjoy the bogs?

... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2019, 05:14:25 PM »
That does NOT look comfortable.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2019, 05:26:16 PM »
Well, Helsinki is a city, not a waterhole in the wilderness. So it was not like that at all. :P
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2019, 05:43:08 PM »

It looks brisk and invigorating

... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2019, 06:54:38 PM »

It looks brisk and invigorating

Brisk and invigorating is the ocean water off Maui at the end of October/ beginning of November, when it's just about 2 or 3 degrees cooler than bath water. That looks like they're sitting naked on rough brush stubble in filthy, slime-covered water. Note that the guy serving them drinks is wearing a snowmobile suit, heavy gloves, and a hat with ear flaps. And if he's in Finland, he probably doesn't put that outfit on until it's colder than minus twenty Celcius.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2019, 10:00:35 AM »
-20 C? I think, based on this post, and some other posts, that you may need to adjust your default conception about the temperatures of the Nordic countries. Helsinki is not in the far north of Finland. Here we can see the various standard temperatures, as well as records, for Helsinki over the months of the year. Part from the record low at about -30 C, it is nowhere close to -20 C.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2019, 04:12:27 PM »
Yeah, the area surrounding the bog does not look like there is any kind of freezing going on there.
There's no such thing as denial.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2019, 04:59:42 PM »
-20 C? I think, based on this post, and some other posts, that you may need to adjust your default conception about the temperatures of the Nordic countries. Helsinki is not in the far north of Finland. Here we can see the various standard temperatures, as well as records, for Helsinki over the months of the year. Part from the record low at about -30 C, it is nowhere close to -20 C.
Yeah, the area surrounding the bog does not look like there is any kind of freezing going on there.

I was just going by the bulky clothing the server is wearing, and the reputation of the Finnish people for jumping naked into the snow. I wouldn't expect that somebody who jumps naked into the snow would wear that much clothing if it weren't pretty darn cold. And even the guys sitting in the muck are wearing thick hats with ear flaps. But I stand corrected.

It still looks dreadfully uncomfortable.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2019, 05:19:00 PM »
It like outdoor mud spa.  With waiter.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2019, 10:01:04 PM »
It like outdoor mud spa.  With waiter.

Yes. Dreadful.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2019, 05:09:03 AM »
I've been to a few places but last (labour) weekend I (we) went to Te Ika-a-Maui (the North Island) for a two day mountain bike ride/party.  What a great idea for the twentieth anniversary of Escape Adventures Bicycle tours.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »
I've been thinking about traveling from the US to the UK and Spain. Inspired by Gretta's example but not having the money for a private boat, does anyone have any experience with crossing the Atlantic on a shipping vessel?  I guess I wouldn't rule a cruse ship out, but I'm not really interested in any extra stops, I just want to get from the eastern seaboard of the US to Europe.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2019, 09:07:40 PM »
I have no personal experience, but my aunt used to travel on cargo ships. Most have (or at least they did back then) a few passenger cabins. You eat at the captain's table. There are none of the luxuries of a cruise ship, but also none of the hidden added expenses. Bring plenty of books on your e-reader. Call the shipping lines to inquire. My guess (based on the fact that my aunt enjoyed these trips) is that you'll have comfortable accommodations, but probably no swimming pool, shuffleboard, or entertainment. Maybe a TV in your stateroom and a library of DVDs, but that's just a guess. Maybe an area on deck where you can gaze out to sea, but that's also a guess.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2019, 09:16:24 PM »
P.S. I found this:

https://wikitravel.org/en/Freighter_travel

Apparently I was mistaken when I said you would eat at the captain's table. My aunt was an intelligent, personable, and attractive woman. That might explain why she was invited to eat at the captain's table. And a half a century has passed since she travelled this way.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain